Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of November 2003 (Wed)   #1
J.A.F. Doorhof
Goldmember

Default Mini review Tamron AF SP 28-75/2.8 XR Di LD Asf. IF MACRO mo

After thinking alot about the need for a replacement for my not so bad Sigma 28-105f2.8-4 I decided to take the gamble and went looking for a new lens in the f2.8 segment with a limit on my budget of € 500,00 (the sigma was € 279,00).

To be honest I decided almost immediatly for the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 EX asp. which was offered second hand for € 349,00, the lens looked really well build and a bit flashy, autofocus is reasonable faster than my 28-105, the downside was the picture quality I could not really say I was wowed by the difference, sure there was a difference but not jawdropping.

As if faith would have it's way my supplier just got the
Tamron AF SP 28-75/2.8 XR Di LD Asf. IF MACRO model A09 in the store, this was also high on my list because it's supposed to be a lens specialy made for digital SLR's and according to some sites and reviews on sharpness it bettered the Canon L version (don't flame me I only write what I know/heard ).

We decided to attach this new wonder to my 10D, .... I walked out with it (after paying).

Impressions
The buildquality is good for as far as I can tell, it's smaller than the Sigma 28-105 or 28-70, the supplied lenshood helps a bit in making it a lens .
But it's not alway's size that matters, due to the new specs of DSLR's the lenses can be made smaller without sacrificing quality.

Autofocus appears to be fairly fast, a lot faster than my other lenses (see signature). I never worked with a USM motor so I can't tell the difference there, but for me it's very quick. When focussing really close on my hand to infinity is really within a fraction of a second.

But were it all boils down to is image quality.
I wanted a tacksharp lens, since I use the 70-210f2.8 Sigma APO I have been spoiled rotten with sharpness and lightperformance, only my Tamron 90mm Macro 1:1 gives me something as good. And now I have a third tack sharp lens, because the new Tamron is razor sharp.

This shot was made with the same camera in a timelapse of a few seconds, it's a 1:1 crop of the original RAW unprocessed so this is straight of the camera (I found out later that PS CS RAW does do a little sharpening so take that into account).

This was the difference I was looking for, the Tamron is clearly sharper but also when looking at the headlights there is a bit more detail in the lighter areas, but most of all, the Tamron gives a more "real" material look if you know what I mean, it's more not like a picture.

I have to test the lens a bit more to give a definitive result, but because there are not so many reviews on-line at the moment I thought I would write this down as a start.

Greetings,
Frank
J.A.F. Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of November 2003 (Wed)   #2
psk4363

Default Re: Mini review Tamron AF SP 28-75/2.8 XR Di LD Asf. IF MACR

Yep! The Tamron is clearly the better of the two lenses based on the two comparitive photos you've shown. I think you've made a good choice .... but, did you actively consider the Tokina too?

Cheers,
Barry
Old 12th of November 2003 (Wed)   #3
J.A.F. Doorhof
Goldmember

I did,
But I decided for the Tamron because it was a brandnew lens which is primarly aimed at the DSLR market.

Also when comparing the 28-105 with the 28-70f2.8 I had some trouble finding out which one was sharper on my display of the camera, they were both almost the same, with the EX maybe a tack more detailed. The Tamron blew the EX away on the display and on the screen (later) so I decided to go with that one.

Also the salesperson knew the Sigma and Tokina in that series were only a noselength in difference, the Tamron they did not had much experience with, except that it sold really well due to good reviews. They are rather well informed and have alway's given me good advise in what I needed so I did not bother to test the Tokina.

Greetings,
Frank
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of November 2003 (Wed)   #4
tony4563

I love this lens. Sits proudly alongside my Sigma 70-200 EX and my Canon 17-40. Its compact, well made and the image quality is excellent for the money!
tony4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of November 2003 (Fri)   #5
ron chappel
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator

VERY nice!
You might find the sigma sharpens well in the digital realm but it will allways have that low contrast subtle look.The tamron is spot on and looks very similar to canons' best! A real 'lifelike' look as you say
ron chappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of November 2003 (Fri)   #6
J.A.F. Doorhof
Goldmember

Hi Ron,

The Sigma is no bad performer at all, I used the 28-105f2.8-4 before this and it sharpens indeed very well, however if I have more sharpness to begin with, why not . that's alway's better.

Greetings,
Frank
Old 14th of November 2003 (Fri)   #7
Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor

... sounds like a great starting lens for either 10D or 300D users (instead of or in addition to the 18-55 kit lens),
if you want to tack sharp images and don't really need the wide angle.

Regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of November 2003 (Sat)   #8
ron chappel
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator

I'm really glad you posted this.I have heard very little about tamron's better lenses lately and seen lots of rather bad results from their cheaper stuff, so i had pretty much given up on them as a serious alternative to canon.This gives me hope again!

I want to like sigma ,i really honestly do,but can't quite bring myself to love the look sigma gives.Sure they can be stunningly sharp at times but.....for some reason they give an effect of 'allmost perfect reality,but somthing isn't quite right'

I wish all lenses were tested online with a good digital body!!!
I'll post lots of examples if i ever get my hands on a 10D/300D
ron chappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of February 2004 (Sun)   #9
ChrisNardone

Waking the dead on this one...

Frank are you still happy with this lens. Anyone else out there have good/bad eperiences with it. When I go to the cupboard to pull out my f/2.8 lenses, the cupboard is bare
ChrisNardone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of February 2004 (Sun)   #10
TeraGram93013

I too, have the Tamron AF SP 28-75/2.8 XR Di LD ASF and it is my primary lens. I love it to pieces. Mine isn't a macro model though. (weep)

I need a macro lens. I need to take bug pictures. (I don't know why.)

The ONLY downside to this lens that I can see is the LOCK.

I keep flipping it on and forgetting about it and then wonder why my camera isn't focusing.
TeraGram93013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of February 2004 (Sun)   #11
Malaxos1

I agree, it is a great lens. I bought the Tamron 28-75mm a week after getting the D Rebel. I got the Rebel as an upgrade from my Olymus E10. The big thing about the E10 is that the f.2 lens is incredible, therefore I found myself dissapointed with the Rebel's kit lens. The Tamron has served me weel, I used it yesterday at a wedding and it performed nicely...Dean
Malaxos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2004 (Sun)   #12
sparty314

I, too, am trying to decide between these lenses. Does anyone else have any experience with both? To my amateur eye, the Sigma lens in Frank's comparison doesn't seem to be focused at the same point as the Tamron. Or, is it just that soft?
sparty314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2004 (Sun)   #13
TeraGram93013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraGram93013
I too, have the Tamron AF SP 28-75/2.8 XR Di LD ASF and it is my primary lens. I love it to pieces. Mine isn't a macro model though. (weep)
As I was cleaning my lens the other day, I noticed it IS a macro lens.

Learn somethin' new everyday.
TeraGram93013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of August 2004 (Sun)   #14
Jerry C.

Default I don't want to go against the flow of Tamron praise ...

I don't want to go against the flow of Tamron 28-75 praise, however I would like to be the first (and perhaps only) to post some caveats. I owned a Tamron 28-75 for 2 weeks and shot only two rolls of film, comparing it with another two rolls of film shot with a 50mm/1.8 and a 70-200mm/f4L. These comparisons are in contrast to the posted comparisons with a Sigma 70-200/2.8. The Sigma 28-70/2.8 isn't an adequate comparison to measure lens sharpness. A prime or an incredible zoom must be used (and the Sigma is not an incredible zoom). While I found the Tamron 28-75 to be "pretty good", I could still see a noticeable degradation in sharpness compared to my 50mm or my L zoom ..... IN 4x6 PRINTS! My girlfriend could also see a visible difference. The Sigma and the Tamron may be pretty good, but they are not as good as L zooms, which for the most part are a tad lower optically than the primes. Still, all things considered, the Tamron is a very good value. Just don't get carried away in expectations or praise.

Jerry C.
Jerry C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of August 2004 (Sun)   #15
Olegis
Goldmember

I own the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 too and I'm very happy with it. It's reasonably sharp at f/2.8 and VERY sharp at f/5.6 and above. As a matter of fact its optical performance is very similar to that of my Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L at f/5.6 and above.
This lens minimum focussing distance is about 30cm - not very nice for real macro shots, but still very acceptable for occasional flower shots (examples).

www.Olegis.com
My equipment list
'I take orders from no one except the photographers' Harry S Truman
Olegis is offline   Reply With Quote