Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 11 Feb 2002 (Monday) 02:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Kung Hei Fat Choi

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Feb 11, 2002 02:32 |  #1

In case you're not near a temple on 12 February 2002 ... Happy Chinese New Year.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This is the Year of the Horse and if you don't know what kind of animal you are -- and would like to know what's in store for the year -- you can find it all at the South China Morning Post. (external link) The "animal chart" is in the upper-right of the page.

When I first arrived in Hong Kong over sixteen years ago, I was really looking forward to Chinese New Year, imagining it to be Christmas, New Year and the Fourth of July all rolled into one, with fireworks and festivals and vendors hawking chicken feet at street carnivals. Well ... no. It's a family holiday and families tended to celebrate either behind closed doors or on the mainland.

Restaurants and laundries and every other business you could want open every day were closed for a week, sometimes two, and if you were without family and clean clothes and canned goods, you were going to be one lonely, smelly, hungry person for a fortnight. That's changed somewhat, but many shops are still closed for extended periods. What else has changed is that I now have a family to celebrate with. I hope you do too and that you have a great Year of the Horse.

Yee Ha. Yip Yee Tai Yai Ho.

Canon G2, 420EX flash.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,223 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Feb 11, 2002 03:50 |  #2

Hi Don,

Happy new year! Interesting text and photo, thanks. I was curious to see what's my animal, and the link you provided required registration. Here's another which is open for all: http://www.mandarintoo​ls.com/calendar.htmlexternal link (I found it though this page: http://www.math.nus.ed​u.sg ...en/calendar/chinese​.shtmlexternal link )

Cheers,

Pekka "The Dragon" Saarinen

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Feb 11, 2002 04:08 |  #3

Hi Pekka,

Thanks for the greetings and update. If you visit Pekka's astro-link, remember to click on the "Western to Chinese Date" bar after entering your birthdate; otherwise, you will be one confused animal. And here is another link. (external link)

Sorry about the registration -- I've been registered for so long that I'd forgotten about that. For those of you wanting to regularly read the South China Morning Post, it's free, and the astrology section, featuring history and customs and forecasts, is quite good.

Don the Dog

P.S. One of the things about the 12-year lunar cycle is that you can tell the age of people if you know your animals -- or you can be an embarrassing 12 years off.

Here's a natural light photo of the five candles in the foreground of the temple picture.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Feb 19, 2002 08:44 |  #4

In my first posting above, I mentioned finding your Chinese animal at the South China Morning Post. Pekka pointed out you needed to register and I noted that it was free. No longer -- as of today, it's basically subscription.

I did, however, find another interesting site with a reasonably long description of the personality traits (quirks) of each of the zodiac signs, plus an easy way to determine your element. You'll find it at Chinese Astrologyexternal link

ltdedorc
49 posts
Joined Nov 2001
Feb 22, 2002 09:14 |  #5

For those interested, here is some info on CNY:

The Chinese Lunar New Year is the longest chronological record in history, dating from 2600BC, when the Emperor Huang Ti introduced the first cycle of the zodiac. Like the Western calendar, The Chinese Lunar Calendar is a yearly one, with the start of the lunar year being based on the cycles of the moon. Therefore, because of this cyclical dating, the beginning of the year can fall anywhere between late January and the middle of February. This year it falls on February 12th. A complete cycle takes 60 years and is made up of five cycles of 12 years each.The Chinese Lunar Calendar names each of the twelve years after an animal. Legend has it that the Lord Buddha summoned all the animals to come to him before he departed from earth. Only twelve came to bid him farewell and as a reward he named a year after each one in the order they arrived. The Chinese believe the animal ruling the year in which a person is born has a profound influence on personality, saying: "This is the animal that hides in your heart."

Rat 1924 1936 1948 1960 1972 1984 1996
Ox 1925 1937 1949 1961 1973 1985 1997
Tiger 1926 1938 1950 1962 1974 1986 1998
Rabbit 1927 1939 1951 1963 1975 1987 1999
Dragon 1928 1940 1952 1964 1976 1988 2000
Snake 1929 1941 1953 1965 1977 1989 2001
Horse 1930 1942 1954 1966 1978 1990 2002
Sheep 1931 1943 1955 1967 1979 1991 2003
Monkey 1932 1944 1956 1968 1980 1992 2004
Rooster 1933 1945 1957 1969 1981 1993 2005
Dog 1934 1946 1958 1970 1982 1994 2006
Boar 1935 1947 1959 1971 1983 1995 2007

People born in the year of the Horse are very popular for their cheerful disposition and are generally well liked and admired. They are skilled with money matters and good with their hands. Often Horses are wise and intelligent, harboring talents in many fields and being extremely hard working. Horses, however, are also known to play as hard as they work! Horses are born under signs of elegance and ardor but under normal circumstances will come across as being very easy going and laid back. Get them worked up about something though and they are very hard to bring down again. Horses can be incredibly short-tempered at times, which may be partly due to their rebellious nature. Horses enjoy crowds and entertainment and are renowned for their talkativeness, sharp wit and taking pleasure in the company of others. Active and energetic, Horses generally have good dress sense and will often be found in theatres, concerts and parties. They have boundless energy and ambition. However, horses know themselves to be more cunning than intelligent and sadly often see themselves as being inferior to their peers. This often results in the Horse constantly changing his company for fear of being exposed as a fraud! Independent and individual, Horses also tend to be a little impatient about everything and frequently come across as being selfish. Some might see them egotists even, but although the Horse will only really concern himself with his own problems and successes, the outcome is invariably of benefit to everybody. Horses are also famous for suddenly losing interest in projects and areas of work as well as social circles. It is thought that those who fall into the year of the Horse will leave home early in life, being born to race or travel. Their yearning for independence and freedom means they need plenty or room to roam. Someone born under the sign of the Horse will be a stable and loving partner in love. Although they fall in love easily and may have several relationships before they find the right person, they will give up everything for love! Horses are seducers, often coming across strong at the beginning of a relationship. Unfortunately, they are burdened with many contradictions of character that leads them to crave love and intimacy whilst at the same time feel corned and pressured. In work, Horses make good scientists because of their honest and factual nature. A Horse never shies away from giving a direct opinion and is always a good source of reliable information. Their passionate roots lead them to success in fields of poetry too. A Horse born under the element sign of Fire are said to be blessed with great fortune or cursed with great misfortune, possibly even both. Horses are most compatible with Tigers and Dogs, but are hostile towards Rats. Goats and Pigs are also make worthy partners but it is with Dragons and Snakes that their passions can be aroused. Rabbits are good friends to a Horse but monkeys are best avoided. Famous people born in the Year Of The Horse include Ian Cuthbertson, Robert Wagner, Rolf Harris, Helmut Kohl, Clint Eastwood, Barbara Streisand, John Thaw, and Aretha Franklin!

3,631 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kung Hei Fat Choi
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.