Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 22 Aug 2006 (Tuesday) 12:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

f2.8 and centre focus point?

steveathome
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Mar 2006
UK
Aug 22, 2006 12:41 |  #1

I have seen somewhere- but not sure where, about the centre focus point being accurate at f2.8?

I am sorry to be so vague with my question, but can anyone give me more information as to what this means?

If your len's have a smaller aperture than f2.8, is focus no longer accurate?

How accurate are the other focus points that are not in the centre

What's the difference between a cross focus point and otherwise?

I would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on the above for me,
Many thanks

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
Joined Dec 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Aug 22, 2006 13:18 |  #2

no with the cameras all but the XT...lens with 2.8 or faster it suppose to kick in a cross hair focus point instead of the regular single line point..this is what I understand. so focus would be much more accurate

My gear
Canon 7D Mark II, Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art, Sigma 50 1.4 EX, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8OS, Canon 55-250 STM, Sigma 150-600 C, Shanny SN600C flash, Tascam DR-05 v2

tbrasington
269 posts
Joined Oct 2005
London,Uk
Aug 22, 2006 13:18 |  #3

It is claimed that with the 350D that it isn't as accurate as say the 20D. However I have never had any problems when I had the 50 1.4 and with my 24-70 2.8.

7D | Speedlite 430 EX | 17-35mm f/2.8 L| 24-70mm f/2.8 L | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Flickrexternal link

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006
Edmonton
Aug 22, 2006 13:34 as a reply to 05Xrunner's post |  #4

05Xrunner wrote:
no with the cameras all but the XT...lens with 2.8 or faster it suppose to kick in a cross hair focus point instead of the regular single line point..this is what I understand. so focus would be much more accurate

This what I understand it to be. The centre AF point has a cross type sensor that is only sensitive enough to be active/useful when the lens has a maximum aperture of F2.8 or larger. Otherwise, the centre point is not a cross type, just like the other points.

As far as why a cross type is better....this is how I think it works (I may be wrong). AF works when it sees something that has contrast. With a single direction AF point...it can only detect contrast along or on the line...with a cross type point, it can detect contrast in both directions.

Bottom line is that a cross type sensor will more easily find focus on something that may be lacking in contrast.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centreexternal link.
Blogexternal link

1,234 views & 0 likes for this thread
f2.8 and centre focus point?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.