Thread started 22 Aug 2006 (Tuesday) 12:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

steveathome
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,174 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I have seen somewhere- but not sure where, about the centre focus point being accurate at f2.8?

I am sorry to be so vague with my question, but can anyone give me more information as to what this means?

If your len's have a smaller aperture than f2.8, is focus no longer accurate?

How accurate are the other focus points that are not in the centre

What's the difference between a cross focus point and otherwise?

I would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on the above for me,
Many thanks

Post #1, Aug 22, 2006 12:41:10

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
Joined Dec 2005
4,546 posts
Pittsburgh PA
[MORE/SHARE]

no with the cameras all but the XT...lens with 2.8 or faster it suppose to kick in a cross hair focus point instead of the regular single line point..this is what I understand. so focus would be much more accurate

Post #2, Aug 22, 2006 13:18:10

My gear
Canon 50D: Sigma 17-70 OS C:Canon 70-200f4L

tbrasington
Joined Oct 2005
269 posts
London,Uk
[MORE/SHARE]

It is claimed that with the 350D that it isn't as accurate as say the 20D. However I have never had any problems when I had the 50 1.4 and with my 24-70 2.8.

Post #3, Aug 22, 2006 13:18:16

7D | Speedlite 430 EX | 17-35mm f/2.8 L| 24-70mm f/2.8 L | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Flickrexternal link

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
1,023 posts
Edmonton
[MORE/SHARE]

05Xrunner wrote:
no with the cameras all but the XT...lens with 2.8 or faster it suppose to kick in a cross hair focus point instead of the regular single line point..this is what I understand. so focus would be much more accurate

This what I understand it to be. The centre AF point has a cross type sensor that is only sensitive enough to be active/useful when the lens has a maximum aperture of F2.8 or larger. Otherwise, the centre point is not a cross type, just like the other points.

As far as why a cross type is better....this is how I think it works (I may be wrong). AF works when it sees something that has contrast. With a single direction AF point...it can only detect contrast along or on the line...with a cross type point, it can detect contrast in both directions.

Bottom line is that a cross type sensor will more easily find focus on something that may be lacking in contrast.

Post #4, Aug 22, 2006 13:34:01 as a reply to 05Xrunner's post 15 minutes earlier.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centreexternal link.
Blogexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,002 views & 0 likes for this thread
f2.8 and centre focus point?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES