Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of August 2006 (Tue)   #1
steveathome
Goldmember

Default f2.8 and centre focus point?

I have seen somewhere- but not sure where, about the centre focus point being accurate at f2.8?

I am sorry to be so vague with my question, but can anyone give me more information as to what this means?

If your len's have a smaller aperture than f2.8, is focus no longer accurate?

How accurate are the other focus points that are not in the centre

What's the difference between a cross focus point and otherwise?

I would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on the above for me,
Many thanks
steveathome is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of August 2006 (Tue)   #2
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.

Default Re: f2.8 and centre focus point?

no with the cameras all but the XT...lens with 2.8 or faster it suppose to kick in a cross hair focus point instead of the regular single line point..this is what I understand. so focus would be much more accurate
Old 22nd of August 2006 (Tue)   #3
tbrasington

It is claimed that with the 350D that it isn't as accurate as say the 20D. However I have never had any problems when I had the 50 1.4 and with my 24-70 2.8.
Old 22nd of August 2006 (Tue)   #4
Big Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Xrunner
no with the cameras all but the XT...lens with 2.8 or faster it suppose to kick in a cross hair focus point instead of the regular single line point..this is what I understand. so focus would be much more accurate
This what I understand it to be. The centre AF point has a cross type sensor that is only sensitive enough to be active/useful when the lens has a maximum aperture of F2.8 or larger. Otherwise, the centre point is not a cross type, just like the other points.

As far as why a cross type is better....this is how I think it works (I may be wrong). AF works when it sees something that has contrast. With a single direction AF point...it can only detect contrast along or on the line...with a cross type point, it can detect contrast in both directions.

Bottom line is that a cross type sensor will more easily find focus on something that may be lacking in contrast.