Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 24 Aug 2006 (Thursday) 08:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What is pixel peeping?

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,830 posts
Joined Feb 2006
London
Aug 24, 2006 08:39 |  #1

.. and why does it get mentioned so much?

George

Photos from Iceland (external link) | Lake District (external link) | Isle of Lewis (external link) | Macros (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

sponsored links
Benandbobbi
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Springdale, Arkansas USA
Aug 24, 2006 08:55 |  #2

Pixel peeping is examining a digital image down a very fine detail, possibly at the individual pixel (dot on a screen) level, depending on how literal\anal the examiner is. Why is it mentioned? Because people spending thousands of dollars on lenses want the best possible picture in terms od image quality (IQ) or sharpeness. Most quality lenses are undecernable from one another if not viewed at this or a similar level of detail.

My Gear
My Websiteexternal link

CorruptedPhotographer
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Jul 2005
AbuDhabi, United Arab Emirates
Aug 24, 2006 08:59 |  #3

peeping at pixels,because it happens a lot.

Gear List
Member since 2005 ^_^

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,797 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 24, 2006 09:05 |  #4

The term was originally made popular by (perhaps even coined by) Michael Reichman of the Luminous Landscape, he used it as a specifically derogatory term after he had had an epiphany that image quality was suddenly no longer of importance in digital photography, as it was good enough across the board. (i'm breaking this down to nutshell status)
He applied the term Pixel Peepers to those that still felt that measurable IQ tests were valid.

The backlash was significant as his readers were split roughly 50/50% by those that agreed with this new sentiment, and those that had followed years of reviews by Michael himself that were in fact exactly that, self described Pixel Peeping, and suddenly being told by there fearless leader that all this time, effort, and text was moot. For months the LL Forums were dominated by debate and argument on the subject.

Another term for pixel peepers, is "Ruler shooter" ie: people who seem to spend more time photographing charts and rulers for backfocus etc.. than actually using there gear for photography.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,626 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Portland, Oregon
Aug 24, 2006 13:05 |  #5

Just to stir things up with my definition :)

Photographers judge their lenses and cameras based on real world experience - photos of landscapes, people, wildlife, etc.

Pixel peepers judge everything based on 100% crops of resolution charts, rulers, and batteries.

It seems the ratio of photographers to pixel peepers is 2/8.

Well, it is a subjective definition after all. :)

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)

Jon, ­ The ­ Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle
2,490 posts
Joined Oct 2004
Warren, Michigan
Aug 24, 2006 13:45 as a reply to Mark_Cohran's post |  #6

Have to agree with Mark. - Now that you understand the term. You can see from the threads and answers just where you stand.

Nearly every sport/avocation/hobby has its devotees to extreme details of the end product. Does it matter in the real flow of things?
Personaly, I think not, but others will rise up with great fervor and defend the importance of minute aspects of their chosen area of interest.

Another term that I hear a lot is "measurbator". Crude but probably more succinct.

A 40D, a 30D, some nice glass and a great Shooting Partner.
"...As in music, so in life."

fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,591 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2009
Mar 24, 2011 01:25 |  #7

Honestly - What is pixel peeping?

Seriously what is it REALLY? It's a term that I've read 1000's of times (we all have)....can someone really explain the nitty gritty of what really pixel peeping actually is?

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003
southern Alberta, Canada
Mar 24, 2011 01:30 as a reply to fotoworx's post |  #8

Persons that are overly anal about their images. They tend to view everything at 100% or more and work on a per pixel basis.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Mar 24, 2011 01:40 as a reply to fotoworx's post |  #9

People who try to appreciate a forest by staring at 1 square inch of bark...

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,375 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Mar 24, 2011 06:31 as a reply to fotoworx's post |  #10

Reminds me of the Zen saying that an ignorant man picks up a pebble and sees a pebble, a student picks up a pebble and sees a mountain and a Zen Master picks up a pebble and sees ... a pebble.

Elie / אלי

Monito
460 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Halifax, NS, ex-California
Mar 24, 2011 07:13 as a reply to fotoworx's post |  #11

Pixel-peeping is viewing pixels from a full-resolution image at 100% (or even 200%) on a computer monitor.

Pixel-peeping is a tool that can become a disease.

Canon System: fullframe DSLRs, lenses. Tripods, Alien Bees.
Always learning and striving to make better photographs.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Mar 24, 2011 07:16 as a reply to tzalman's post |  #12

'Tis me. One who tests that new lens inside>tripod mounted>MLU>remote shutter>various SS to determine which f/stop gives him a single, or at most three, pixel edge to his subject.
We tend to hang out in the macro section of the forum where the devil is in the detail.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Sussex, UK
Mar 24, 2011 08:05 as a reply to fotoworx's post |  #13

Pixel-peeping is an innocuous-seeming habit that can slowly lure one into the ravages of measurebation. This pernicious affliction results in the sufferer being unable to photograph anything apart from lines of batteries, brick walls and test charts (set to 45º with a protractor).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Mar 24, 2011 08:10 as a reply to fotoworx's post |  #14

Something you shouldn't worry about and have your laugh at the people that practice this.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Google+external link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,336 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Mar 24, 2011 08:13 |  #15

hollis_f wrote in post #12082447external link
... (set to 45º with a protractor).

You still use a protractor??... what an amateur.

:):):)

i kid.. i kid..

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

41,570 views & 12 likes for this thread
What is pixel peeping?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.