FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 25 Aug 2006 (Friday) 07:17   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

BaliHai
Joined Jul 2006
209 posts
PA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've read a couple posts here about the 70-200mm being returned to Canon for lens calibration can someone explain? I just purchased said lens.

Post #1, Aug 25, 2006 07:17:25

Canon 5D and 20D, 70-200mm f2.8L, 24-70mm f2.8L,
35-80mm, 70-210mm, 18-55mm, 85mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2L
lightmeter, tripod, studio lights

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
malla1962
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
7,714 posts
Walney Island,cumbria,uk
[MORE/SHARE]

Is it sharp?if so don't wory about it.:D

Post #2, Aug 25, 2006 07:42:04

Gear List

baybud
Joined Feb 2006
419 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

BaliHai wrote:
I've read a couple posts here about the 70-200mm being returned to Canon for lens calibration can someone explain? I just purchased said lens.

Often lenses can need calibration upon purchase, it is believed that this is due to the shipping which often misaligns the systems, personelly i think canon do it on the pro gear on purpose to cream money.

As far as i know a calibration of the lens deals with two aspects, firstly if your pictures are soft they can bring the lens to spec " i have yet to have this actually confirmed with a cast iron guarentee but canon have hinted" Secondly they calibrate it for focus errors.

You need to send in the lens and the camera body/bodies so that they are all calibrated together, I asked canon what does one do if one buys a new lens? Does one need to send in ALL the lenses? Even those which are out of warranty? They said yes LOL :rolleyes:

The long and short of it is that i have sent a few lenses in to be calibrated and they have all come back noticeibly better in regards to sharpness and focus accuracy.

PS. calibration is free if the items are in warranty still.

Post #3, Aug 25, 2006 10:58:49

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
Joined May 2005
22,038 posts
silicon valley
[MORE/SHARE]

baybud wrote:
Often lenses can need calibration upon purchase, it is believed that this is due to the shipping which often misaligns the systems, personelly i think canon do it on the pro gear on purpose to cream money.

As far as i know a calibration of the lens deals with two aspects, firstly if your pictures are soft they can bring the lens to spec " i have yet to have this actually confirmed with a cast iron guarentee but canon have hinted" Secondly they calibrate it for focus errors.

You need to send in the lens and the camera body/bodies so that they are all calibrated together, I asked canon what does one do if one buys a new lens? Does one need to send in ALL the lenses? Even those which are out of warranty? They said yes LOL :rolleyes:

The long and short of it is that i have sent a few lenses in to be calibrated and they have all come back noticeibly better in regards to sharpness and focus accuracy.

PS. calibration is free if the items are in warranty still.

you don't need to send your camera body to canon if the problem (real or perceived) is with the lens.

i've sent several lenses to canon and most come back improved. i paid shipping to canon and they picked up return postage...and the calibration is covered by warranty.

ed rader

Post #4, Aug 25, 2006 11:06:31 as a reply to baybud's post 7 minutes earlier.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/external link
http://erader.zenfolio​.com/external link
5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 24mm f2.8 ef-s, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro

baybud
Joined Feb 2006
419 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I wonder if thats a US thing, boreham wood wont take the lens on its own, even after my assuring them it wasn't a body problem.
Might be worth quizzing them again, after all its completely unworkable to send EVERYTHING just because one lens needs re-calibration.

Post #5, Aug 25, 2006 11:10:04 as a reply to ed rader's post 3 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
Joined May 2005
22,038 posts
silicon valley
[MORE/SHARE]

baybud wrote:
I wonder if thats a US thing, boreham wood wont take the lens on its own, even after my assuring them it wasn't a body problem.
Might be worth quizzing them again, after all its completely unworkable to send EVERYTHING just because one lens needs re-calibration.

i would be very hesitant to send my camera in unless i suspected it had a problem. their approach sounds like overkill to me....or incompetence :D .

ed rader

Post #6, Aug 25, 2006 11:12:57 as a reply to baybud's post 2 minutes earlier.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/external link
http://erader.zenfolio​.com/external link
5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 24mm f2.8 ef-s, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro

jimlp
Joined Sep 2004
492 posts
Winchester, Mass
[MORE/SHARE]

If you have other lenses your camera works fine with then I would not send the body as well. Canon calibrates the lens to it's own factory spec not to your camera body, on the other hand if this is a new camera and lens and you don't know which item is causing the problem it is a different story.

Post #7, Aug 25, 2006 11:17:43

Canon 6D
24-105 f4.0L
Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC
550EX

baybud
Joined Feb 2006
419 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

ed rader wrote:
i would be very hesitant to send my camera in unless i suspected it had a problem. their approach sounds like overkill to me....or incompetence :D .

ed rader

lol my vote goes to incompetence.

I shall have to give them a good old fashioned ear bending, i recently purchased a 35L which backfocuses on both my bodies but i know the turds will want the whole gear in, lol i've only just got it calibrated for the 300! Grrr.

Post #8, Aug 25, 2006 12:04:26 as a reply to ed rader's post 51 minutes earlier.

Mike-DT6
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
3,917 posts
The Jurassic Coast, Dorset, England.
[MORE/SHARE]

Is this still true? Canon UK won't accept just a lens on its own for a calibration check/adjustment under warranty?

Mike

Post #9, Jul 06, 2008 18:59:03

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Calibration?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES