Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

 
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 25 Aug 2006 (Friday) 07:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lens Calibration?

 
BaliHai
Member
BaliHai's Avatar
209 posts
Joined Jul 2006
PA
Aug 25, 2006 07:17 |  #1

I've read a couple posts here about the 70-200mm being returned to Canon for lens calibration can someone explain? I just purchased said lens.


Canon 5D and 20D, 70-200mm f2.8L, 24-70mm f2.8L,
35-80mm, 70-210mm, 18-55mm, 85mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2L
lightmeter, tripod, studio lights

LOG IN TO REPLY
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
malla1962
Cream of the Crop
malla1962's Avatar
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Walney Island,cumbria,uk
Aug 25, 2006 07:42 |  #2

Is it sharp?if so don't wory about it.:D


Gear List

LOG IN TO REPLY
baybud
Senior Member
baybud's Avatar
419 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Aug 25, 2006 10:58 |  #3

BaliHai wrote:
I've read a couple posts here about the 70-200mm being returned to Canon for lens calibration can someone explain? I just purchased said lens.

Often lenses can need calibration upon purchase, it is believed that this is due to the shipping which often misaligns the systems, personelly i think canon do it on the pro gear on purpose to cream money.

As far as i know a calibration of the lens deals with two aspects, firstly if your pictures are soft they can bring the lens to spec " i have yet to have this actually confirmed with a cast iron guarentee but canon have hinted" Secondly they calibrate it for focus errors.

You need to send in the lens and the camera body/bodies so that they are all calibrated together, I asked canon what does one do if one buys a new lens? Does one need to send in ALL the lenses? Even those which are out of warranty? They said yes LOL :rolleyes:

The long and short of it is that i have sent a few lenses in to be calibrated and they have all come back noticeibly better in regards to sharpness and focus accuracy.

PS. calibration is free if the items are in warranty still.




LOG IN TO REPLY
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
ed rader's Avatar
22,300 posts
Joined May 2005
silicon valley
Aug 25, 2006 11:06 as a reply to baybud's post |  #4

baybud wrote:
Often lenses can need calibration upon purchase, it is believed that this is due to the shipping which often misaligns the systems, personelly i think canon do it on the pro gear on purpose to cream money.

As far as i know a calibration of the lens deals with two aspects, firstly if your pictures are soft they can bring the lens to spec " i have yet to have this actually confirmed with a cast iron guarentee but canon have hinted" Secondly they calibrate it for focus errors.

You need to send in the lens and the camera body/bodies so that they are all calibrated together, I asked canon what does one do if one buys a new lens? Does one need to send in ALL the lenses? Even those which are out of warranty? They said yes LOL :rolleyes:

The long and short of it is that i have sent a few lenses in to be calibrated and they have all come back noticeibly better in regards to sharpness and focus accuracy.

PS. calibration is free if the items are in warranty still.

you don't need to send your camera body to canon if the problem (real or perceived) is with the lens.

i've sent several lenses to canon and most come back improved. i paid shipping to canon and they picked up return postage...and the calibration is covered by warranty.

ed rader


http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D3, 7d, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L II, 14L II, 15mm FE (sigma), gitzo, markins, benro

LOG IN TO REPLY
baybud
Senior Member
baybud's Avatar
419 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Aug 25, 2006 11:10 as a reply to ed rader's post |  #5

I wonder if thats a US thing, boreham wood wont take the lens on its own, even after my assuring them it wasn't a body problem.
Might be worth quizzing them again, after all its completely unworkable to send EVERYTHING just because one lens needs re-calibration.




LOG IN TO REPLY
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
ed rader's Avatar
22,300 posts
Joined May 2005
silicon valley
Aug 25, 2006 11:12 as a reply to baybud's post |  #6

baybud wrote:
I wonder if thats a US thing, boreham wood wont take the lens on its own, even after my assuring them it wasn't a body problem.
Might be worth quizzing them again, after all its completely unworkable to send EVERYTHING just because one lens needs re-calibration.

i would be very hesitant to send my camera in unless i suspected it had a problem. their approach sounds like overkill to me....or incompetence :D .

ed rader


http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D3, 7d, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L II, 14L II, 15mm FE (sigma), gitzo, markins, benro

LOG IN TO REPLY
jimlp
Senior Member
501 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Winchester, Mass
Aug 25, 2006 11:17 |  #7

If you have other lenses your camera works fine with then I would not send the body as well. Canon calibrates the lens to it's own factory spec not to your camera body, on the other hand if this is a new camera and lens and you don't know which item is causing the problem it is a different story.


Canon 6D
Canon 1DsMk2
24-105 f4.0L
Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC
550EX

LOG IN TO REPLY
baybud
Senior Member
baybud's Avatar
419 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Aug 25, 2006 12:04 as a reply to ed rader's post |  #8

ed rader wrote:
i would be very hesitant to send my camera in unless i suspected it had a problem. their approach sounds like overkill to me....or incompetence :D .

ed rader

lol my vote goes to incompetence.

I shall have to give them a good old fashioned ear bending, i recently purchased a 35L which backfocuses on both my bodies but i know the turds will want the whole gear in, lol i've only just got it calibrated for the 300! Grrr.




LOG IN TO REPLY
Mike-DT6
Goldmember
Mike-DT6's Avatar
3,955 posts
Joined Oct 2007
The Jurassic Coast, Dorset, England.
Jul 06, 2008 18:59 |  #9

Is this still true? Canon UK won't accept just a lens on its own for a calibration check/adjustment under warranty?

Mike


Gear list

LOG IN TO REPLY
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

2,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Calibration?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses


Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...


AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.

POWERED BY AMASS 1.4version 1.4
made in Finland
by Pekka Saarinen
for photography-on-the.net
Spent 0.00193 for 4 database queries.
PAGE COMPLETED IN 0.02s
Latest registered member is AriffSuhut
870 guests, 608 members online
Simultaneous users record so far is 5577, that happened on Mar 02, 2016