Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of August 2006 (Mon)   #1
Storm2

Default Formatting SD Card

Hi Have got a Canon A60. I have bought 2 new SD 512mb Cards ,I am told I should Format them. How? Just stick them into the Camera's slot. ? Storm2
Sorry it is an A620

Last edited by Storm2 : 28th of August 2006 (Mon) at 10:12.
Storm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of August 2006 (Mon)   #2
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Default Re: Formatting SD Card

On the "Tools" Menu (press the "Menu" button, right-arrow once to the "Tools" menu) there's a "Format" selection.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of August 2006 (Mon)   #3
Storm2

Hi did as you instructed . All I have is--- Format icon 483mb---
There is no Selection. These are 2 new cards I bought. I already have one 512mb sd card I have been using for couple of mths. All I did was to just put it in the Camera's Card slot . I think back that someone said it will format itself.
Going on Holiday thats why the extra memory .Plus I did not want to screw anything up.
Can you explain please what to do next.
Thanks . Storm2
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of August 2006 (Mon)   #4
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Press the Func. Set button, choose "Low Level Format" and "OK" - p. 21 of the Advanced User's Guide.

Cocker Spaniels

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Old 28th of August 2006 (Mon)   #5
Storm2

Please accept my apologies Jon for not looking in the Index. I really mean it .Put it down to Senior Memory lapse Thank you
Storm
Old 28th of August 2006 (Mon)   #6
jennyb

Is there really any reason to do this (other than the book mentions how to)? I've had 2 digital cameras, used 6 different flash cards and have never "camera-formatted" (or formatted by any other means) a card. Never had a problem.
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of August 2006 (Tue)   #7
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

The manual notes that to take full advantage of "Continuous" shooting mode you need to have low-level-formatted your card. Also that if the camera's starting to slow down reformatting it would be a good idea. ISTR that they also suggest LLF for best video recording performance.

Cocker Spaniels

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ