Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of April 2001 (Sun)   #1
James

Default Canon Flash for Pro90

I recently purchased a Pro90 and I am considering a flash as my next purchase. Are there any recomendations as to what may be the best all round flash for the Pro90??

My sales rep recommends the 420EX because it is a better value than the 550EX. Also I like the idea of smaller hardware to carry around as my plan is to keep my gear bag as light weight and uncluttered as possible.

Any suggestions??

James
James is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of April 2001 (Fri)   #2
rknol

Default Re: Canon Flash for Pro90

If I have some spare money I'm planning to buy a 420 too. In my opinion the 420 is the best value for money, compared to the other EX's.

Roel
rknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2001 (Fri)   #3
James

Hi Roel,

I think I will get the 420, I agree that it is the best value.

James
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of April 2001 (Wed)   #4
aseanna

I agree that the 420EX is value for money and the size is not too big for the camera. However if you want to manually adjust the flash compensation, do consider the more costly 550EX.
aseanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2001 (Wed)   #5
rknol

How can you be sure of a good lighting, if you do a manual adjustment?
rknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2001 (Wed)   #6
James

Part of the reason that I purchased the Pro90 is because it had TTL Metering for the flash as well.

Is there something where I may want to do a manual adjustment too??
Old 17th of May 2001 (Thu)   #7
Teffy

What are the differences between the 550EX and 420EX Speedlites? I can compare the specs, but I don't know what most of it means.

I stole the specs from B&H (bhphotovideo.com) and put them on the following link for side-by-side comparison. 550vs420

Any interpretation of the specs, or general description of differences would be very helpful!
Teffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of November 2001 (Fri)   #8
jfranciskay

While I am not an expert in these flashes, I did just purchase the 420EX for my Pro90. My understanding of the main difference between it and the 550EX (other than price) is that the 550 has a more powerful flash and can "reach" farther than the 420EX. The 420EX also can only fire at full power in full manual "M" mode. The 550 can adjust its power even in M mode.

Even still I am very pleased with the 420EX. I can't believe the difference it makes in the quality of shots over the built in flash. Even though it was expensive ($185 US) it was probably the best accessory I have purchased because I take a lot of indoor shots.
jfranciskay is offline   Reply With Quote