Setting up my studio - what else do I need?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 05 Sep 2006 (Tuesday) 19:30   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tripletmommy
Hatchling
Joined May 2006
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Be kind, it's my first post :)

I've been taking my own photos of my triplets for almost 3 years now, and I've finally decided (after lots of comments from other people) to start doing this for money. So, I would like some help determining what else I need to get started. Yeah, I could probably do it on what I have now, but it seems there are probably a few things that would help my photos... here's what I have now:

StudioMax II Pro 320 W/S AC/DC Kit - Includes 2 AK160 Monolights, Reflectors, Umbrellas, Light Stands, & Case
2 Basic Light Stands - 9'
Multiple Polevault Background Support System

I just ordered a white vinyl background and a black muslin background and am collecting tons of props (will be doing mostly kids photos like Picture People, Kiddie Kandids).

What lighting or other equipment would be a good addition to what I have already?

Thanks so much!! I'm very excited! :grin:

Post #1, Sep 05, 2006 19:30:21

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Vegas ­ Poboy
Joined Aug 2003
950 posts
Las Vegas, NV
[MORE/SHARE]

First part Good Luck,
Light meter, large softbox and then forget the other props until you build your client base, price list, waivers, insurance other paperwork.

Website or Ad Cards to display

Thats just a start, overall have your clients pay for your equipment as you need it that way you save your cash and use the business profits.

Post #2, Sep 05, 2006 19:48:39

$$$ in Canon Gear & Lighting Equipment

tripletmommy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined May 2006
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks! - any suggestions on a light meter? I saw a huge range of them when I looked and was quickly overwhelmed!

what about a softbox? recommendations?

Post #3, Sep 05, 2006 20:04:51 as a reply to Vegas Poboy's post 16 minutes earlier.

Vegas ­ Poboy
Joined Aug 2003
950 posts
Las Vegas, NV
[MORE/SHARE]

tripletmommy wrote:
thanks! - any suggestions on a light meter? I saw a huge range of them when I looked and was quickly overwhelmed!

what about a softbox? recommendations?

I care for the Sekonic brand of meters L-358
Soft boxes the larger the better what ever mounts to your brand of lights.

Post #4, Sep 05, 2006 23:55:34 as a reply to tripletmommy's post 3 hours earlier.

$$$ in Canon Gear & Lighting Equipment

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I'll second the choice of the Sekonic 358. There are ones with more bells and whistles but this one does everything I need it to do. I have mine so that I can fire the flashes wirelessly with my pocket wizards.

Post #5, Sep 06, 2006 22:25:12 as a reply to Vegas Poboy's post 22 hours earlier.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

sponsored links
JaertX
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
2,018 posts
Amarillo, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

another person here using the sekonic with the remote module to fire pocketwizards.

I would definitely add a set of PW's to your list. You can shoot without them, but a PC coord is a major pain if you end up shooting with the studio lights often.

the photogenic softboxes are nice!

Post #6, Sep 06, 2006 22:29:19

Jason - I use Canon and stuff

Boxer_kidd
Joined Sep 2006
108 posts
Chicago IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Also, if you don't have it already, your going to need adobe photoshop.

Post #7, Sep 19, 2006 18:52:24

WWW.freewebs.com/treef​rogphotographyexternal link
Canon EOS Rebel XsN Date- WoOt Film cam FOTW!
Canon A700 Digital

jameslcross
Joined Sep 2006
223 posts
Norwich, UK........ Current best leg: Right Likes: Lost. Licks:Stamps.
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep Photoshop is the way forward!

Could I also suggest colour or grey scale cards, absolutely perfect for this kind of work

Post #8, Sep 20, 2006 05:15:37

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein.

JayHawk
Joined Dec 2005
157 posts
Chicago Suburbs
[MORE/SHARE]

tripletmommy wrote in post #1947113external link
Be kind, it's my first post :)

I've been taking my own photos of my triplets for almost 3 years now, and I've finally decided (after lots of comments from other people) to start doing this for money. So, I would like some help determining what else I need to get started. Yeah, I could probably do it on what I have now, but it seems there are probably a few things that would help my photos... here's what I have now:

StudioMax II Pro 320 W/S AC/DC Kit - Includes 2 AK160 Monolights, Reflectors, Umbrellas, Light Stands, & Case
2 Basic Light Stands - 9'
Multiple Polevault Background Support System

I just ordered a white vinyl background and a black muslin background and am collecting tons of props (will be doing mostly kids photos like Picture People, Kiddie Kandids).

What lighting or other equipment would be a good addition to what I have already?

Thanks so much!! I'm very excited! :grin:

It sounds like you've got a very good kit to start out. You should be able to get some great results with what you have. A flash meter would be a good investment, Polaris also makes a flashmeter which is very inexpensive and will get the job done in the studio for you. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the sekonic meters do, but should serve you well.

If people like the images you're making with what you currently have, you should be in a great position to start. Book a few appointments, get some feedback from the parents, then decide if you need to invest in even more gear (especially after their checks clear!)

Post #9, Sep 20, 2006 20:43:06

http://jcrihfield.phot​osite.com/external link

Screamer
Joined Apr 2005
803 posts
Seattle
[MORE/SHARE]

I'll re-say the light meter and insurance (not just for your gear, but liability too).

Post #10, Sep 21, 2006 00:38:22 as a reply to JayHawk's post 3 hours earlier.

- Phil
Canon 1-Series Bodies, 5Dmk3 (for cinema), & XF305| L Glass & Zeiss Primes| Some lighting stuff from Sweden ;)
|http://www.philmacino.​comexternal link

blinking8s
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2004
1,618 posts
w.kentucky
[MORE/SHARE]

a pancake box

Post #11, Sep 22, 2006 08:16:05

blinking8s.comexternal link | pixelpost photoblog applicationexternal link

sponsored links
Croasdail
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2005
6,590 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

Softbox.... absolute must. It is a large translucent box shaped attachement that attaches to the monobloc head that acts like a giant difuser. They range in size from small to 4x5 feet. Net effect is you get very smooth lighting with no shadows. This is particularly important with kids. Shooting through and umbrella gives some of the same effect but does give more dramatic shadows, good for showing charactor in older people. The unbrella also create a round catch light, the softbox creates a square catch light. Softboxes also are more foregiving of chaps like me who don't always get it right. because the lighting doesn't look as directional.

Post #12, Sep 23, 2006 06:54:17

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Misty ­ Woodward
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2006
4 posts
Plainfield, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

A giant softbox and a light meter for sure to be added to your list. I am a user of the Sekonic L358 and have owned it for a couple of years and absolutely love it.

But what I don't see on your list is anything related to business. Remember, once you go into business you are a business person first and a photographer probably about 4th down on the list. I would invest in a pretty kick butt website to display your work, very classy business cards, possibly some direct mail pieces, large prints and lift cards for getting displays, etc. Tons of business. Because you can have the coolest studio in the world and a ton of props but if you haven't marketed correctly, you may just end up spending all this money and time on your beautiful little triplets. As cute as I am sure they are, I can tell you want more. So just make sure to get a solid business plan in place before you go around collecting stuff that won't do you any good.

Post #13, Sep 23, 2006 13:11:52

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
Setting up my studio - what else do I need?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES