Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #1
pepsirich

Default Suggestions on proof CDs

I am considering giving the proofs to B&G on CD. Is there as simple way to do this or will I need to purchase software to protect the images from use? I have seen proof CDs with expiration dates where you can only view them for 30 days.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #2
jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!

Default Re: Suggestions on proof CDs

If you're going to give them the CD then, IMO, they should be able to print from it. If you want them to be able to see the proofs, maybe you could put them on your website. I have a "login" page where they put in a username and password and can view their proofs for up to 3 months. I set it up nicely to tell the "story" of their day, from the getting ready pics through the reception. Plus, they can give their password to family memebers and it's free advertising for me. They can print them up, but they're only good enough quality for wallet size pics.
*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer
jessiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #3
liza
User is banned from forums

Do a slideshow instead and schedule a viewing. Or print proof sheets of the images. If there's a way for them to print the images, they will.
liza is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #4
tim
Light Bringer

People will print anything. If you put a huge watermark on it and make it really low resolution sometimes they'll still print it. My electronic proofs are a proshow DVD, they have the image number in big red writing over the image.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #5
jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!

They still probably will print from the website, but it'll be all pixel-y if it's bigger than wallet size. I give them a DVD or CD w/the images on them anyway so I don't worry about them printing from the online gallery. Maybe I'll change that later, but having that option is something that my clients really really like about my packages. Some photographers will charge a few hundred dollars for the CD, like some do w/negatives. But, if even if a website is Flash, there are still ways to get around that and print up the pictures.
*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer
jessiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #6
pepsirich

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like what ever is easier will work since none are fool proof. I learned really early to make sure you sell a package up front that will make money because there are not a lot of re orders with the digital age of scanning in any local store. There is no one to monitor the copyright info on the back.
Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #7
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Excellent point.... cover your costs and some extra profit yourself, up front, with a signed contract for a set package. If they purchase extra reprints, that's frosting on the cake. But if you shoot for spec, with no guarantee of purchases...... well, that's setting yourself up for potential major disappointment.

This is one of the reasons why I still have not gone to CD or DVD proofing; old style lab prints, nicely organized and presented in solid proof books. It's an aggravating amount of time to assemble, but it keeps everything protected and clean from fingerprints and coffee stains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsirich
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like what ever is easier will work since none are fool proof. I learned really early to make sure you sell a package up front that will make money because there are not a lot of re orders with the digital age of scanning in any local store. There is no one to monitor the copyright info on the back.
sapearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #8
pepsirich

I learned what can happen when you shoot and hope. I have done sports action shots plenty of times where I worked for 4 or 5 hours and ended up with $20 in orders from my web site.
Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #9
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Ouch.... that's painful.

Have you ever considered doing group or team shots? Those are potential moneymakers. Charge a reasonable upfront fee for say, the big game group shot, or maybe the season team shot.... something like that... give them a promise date and then deliver what you've committed to.

Once your reputation gets around for delivering a quality product on-time, in a nice little presentation folio, business can be knocking on your door.

Quote:
I learned what can happen when you shoot and hope. I have done sports action shots plenty of times where I worked for 4 or 5 hours and ended up with $20 in orders from my web site.
Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #10
pepsirich

A photog friend and I did the HS baseball team pictures and made $300 each for about 3 hours work total each. I can live with that for spending money. We have a couple of local youth sports orgs we are trying to get now. Have you done any? If so, what are some pointers?
Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #11
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

That's excellent to hear success stories like that! Pointers.....hmmmm... never did sports team shots, just dorm shots when I was in college, corridor shots, fraternities, sororities; got me a lot of camera and darkroom equipment 35 years ago .

Once you make the prints, place them in nice 5x7 or 8x10 presentation folios. These are anywhere from .35 to around .75 cents each, depending upon style and layout. It keeps the pix clean and protects them from being damaged. It's also a nice way of featuring your work.

Stick to 5x7 or 8x10 depending on how much people can afford. Sometimes money is tight and you don't want to price yourself out of the market. Also, make sure your name, studio or photo business is imprinted or stamped on the inside of the folder as well as on the back of the photo. You WANT people to know who you are for reprints, or possibly some other situation or event that you haven't even thought of.

Simplest way is to use a rubber stamp that can be made up at Office Max for a couple of bucks. Some album supply houses will also imprint your name in gold or silver foil. Another way is to use self adhesive labels.

When doing groups, take several shots, not a million, but a few good ones, and then YOU pick the best one. Don't let them since it will drive you crazy and they won't be able to agree all on the same one. Hope this helps - we'll make a successful big time business man out of you yet! Good luck.

Quote:
A photog friend and I did the HS baseball team pictures and made $300 each for about 3 hours work total each. I can live with that for spending money. We have a couple of local youth sports orgs we are trying to get now. Have you done any? If so, what are some pointers?
Old 1st of November 2006 (Wed)   #12
bestbyte

Default Team Pictures

I see this thread jumped over to team pictures so I'll jump in. I'm thinking about doing team pictures for some youth teams and wonder where people get those neat little frames they insert their images into for the pictures, where it shows the group and individual. Are there some templates for photoshop out there for this kind of stuff?

Thanks
bestbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of November 2006 (Wed)   #13
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

I don't know about PS templates, but most of the album supply houses sell those items. Procraft and other manufacturers produce them. Try:

www.albumsinc.com

I'm sure you could fabricate something in PS, but the "strength" of these things, literally, is that they are assembled from heavy stock and they will both rigidily display the picture as well as protect it to some degree. - Stu
Old 1st of November 2006 (Wed)   #14
sierra_nova

Sport pics. We do these as a fundraiser for the team - parents are much more inclined to buy when they see the money being put back into the team.

You may see a slight drop in what you make per photo, but a massive increase in sales - so we find it well worth it.

Naomi
sierra_nova is offline   Reply With Quote