Shooting abandoned building -- Questions on lighting...

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 10 Sep 2006 (Sunday) 17:31   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

altered_pixel
Joined Dec 2005
192 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Basicly all I have is a Canon A510, and am interested in shooting this abandoned building. Problem is, I don't know how much light will be let in by the foggy windows. I'm not sure if I can use exposure times to let enough light in. Since all I have is the basic flash on my camera, that I really DONT want to use. I was wondering what other types of lighting I could use? One of my friends offered to bring a spot light...which may end up being too bright, but if I used a fast enough shutter speed f/stop maybe I could retain the 'creepyness' of the area....it's quite a frightening factory, from what I hear from others. Another idea I had was take my 100watt halogen light...problem is I want to retain alot of natural lighting, but if I can't, and it's all too dark it's going to be a wasted trip. I want to come prepared whether or not I can use the lighting in the building. Obviously I'll be going in the daylight, but I'm not sure how much light will be allowed in by the place. Someone also said that the place was retro fitted with flourecent lighting, so it might be that I could use those.

Any ideas?

Post #1, Sep 10, 2006 17:31:19

http://chris.ccsijax.c​om/external linkhttp://thechriscoleman​.com/external link
Canon 350D/XT
Tamron f 2.8 28-75
Canon 430 EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TheSteveMadden
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
1,229 posts
Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Use a tripod and the 2-sec self timer and you should be okay with the ambient lights coming through windows. It has long exposure noise reduction so you can take relatively clean 15 second exposures. The A510 is the camera that got me hooked on Canon and my wife still uses it. Have fun.

Post #2, Sep 10, 2006 23:28:26

Steve
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 30D, XT, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, other EF lenses, 430EX, several 580EX II's, Pocket Wizard Plus II's, lighting supports and modifiers, etc etc etc
Websiteexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
570 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting abandoned building -- Questions on lighting...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES