Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of September 2006 (Sun)   #1
altered_pixel

Default Shooting abandoned building -- Questions on lighting...

Basicly all I have is a Canon A510, and am interested in shooting this abandoned building. Problem is, I don't know how much light will be let in by the foggy windows. I'm not sure if I can use exposure times to let enough light in. Since all I have is the basic flash on my camera, that I really DONT want to use. I was wondering what other types of lighting I could use? One of my friends offered to bring a spot light...which may end up being too bright, but if I used a fast enough shutter speed f/stop maybe I could retain the 'creepyness' of the area....it's quite a frightening factory, from what I hear from others. Another idea I had was take my 100watt halogen light...problem is I want to retain alot of natural lighting, but if I can't, and it's all too dark it's going to be a wasted trip. I want to come prepared whether or not I can use the lighting in the building. Obviously I'll be going in the daylight, but I'm not sure how much light will be allowed in by the place. Someone also said that the place was retro fitted with flourecent lighting, so it might be that I could use those.

Any ideas?
Canon 430 EX II

Last edited by altered_pixel : 10th of September 2006 (Sun) at 18:39.
altered_pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of September 2006 (Mon)   #2
TheSteveMadden

Default Re: Shooting abandoned building -- Questions on lighting...

Use a tripod and the 2-sec self timer and you should be okay with the ambient lights coming through windows. It has long exposure noise reduction so you can take relatively clean 15 second exposures. The A510 is the camera that got me hooked on Canon and my wife still uses it. Have fun.
TheSteveMadden is offline   Reply With Quote