Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 10 Sep 2006 (Sunday) 17:31
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting abandoned building -- Questions on lighting...

192 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Sep 10, 2006 17:31 |  #1

Basicly all I have is a Canon A510, and am interested in shooting this abandoned building. Problem is, I don't know how much light will be let in by the foggy windows. I'm not sure if I can use exposure times to let enough light in. Since all I have is the basic flash on my camera, that I really DONT want to use. I was wondering what other types of lighting I could use? One of my friends offered to bring a spot light...which may end up being too bright, but if I used a fast enough shutter speed f/stop maybe I could retain the 'creepyness' of the's quite a frightening factory, from what I hear from others. Another idea I had was take my 100watt halogen light...problem is I want to retain alot of natural lighting, but if I can't, and it's all too dark it's going to be a wasted trip. I want to come prepared whether or not I can use the lighting in the building. Obviously I'll be going in the daylight, but I'm not sure how much light will be allowed in by the place. Someone also said that the place was retro fitted with flourecent lighting, so it might be that I could use those.

Any ideas?

http://chris.ccsijax.c​om/external linkhttp://thechriscoleman​.com/external link
Canon 350D/XT
Tamron f 2.8 28-75
Canon 430 EX II

1,229 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Sep 10, 2006 23:28 |  #2

Use a tripod and the 2-sec self timer and you should be okay with the ambient lights coming through windows. It has long exposure noise reduction so you can take relatively clean 15 second exposures. The A510 is the camera that got me hooked on Canon and my wife still uses it. Have fun.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 30D, XT, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, other EF lenses, 430EX, several 580EX II's, Pocket Wizard Plus II's, lighting supports and modifiers, etc etc etc
Websiteexternal link

669 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting abandoned building -- Questions on lighting...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.