Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News > Rumors > Camera Rumors and Predictions
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #1
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time

Default New from Pentax K10D

I reading over at dpreview.com. it seems that pentax has released 2 new slrs in to the market.

A couple of things that I noticed that they are doing that it will be interesting to see what canon does. The camera that I am talking about is the K10D. Some of the features includes:

Dust and weather resistant seals : interesting, as this is the top of the rang model, but I am sure it wont be at the price of the 1 series cameras. This camera is at the level of the 30D then that's a good feature to have.
Sensitivity and Shutter/Aperture priority : they say that photographers have been wanting this for years. "allows you to set the shutter speed and aperture manually and the camera will automatically select the correct sensitivity."
Dedicated RAW button : This is interesting and one press of a button you can change from shooting RAW to JPG and back again. However I am sure that others would like this button to be the mirror lock up, but for some it could be useful. While your out with the family you can use JPG to capture those family moments and then when you find a subject where you need more control, one button press later.
11-point Auto Focus, 9 cross sensitive : well the 400D has the same auto focus as the 30D, which means that the replacement for the 40D will have more focus points.

What does this mean for Canon, well who knows. But I am sure that they wont let one of the smaller companys out do there cameras. it's interesting to see that dpreview has put this camera along side the 30D. That gives us an idea at the market. Some could find this camera useful if they already got some pentax glass.

For me the biggest supprise is the weather resistant seals. Coming from a smaller company it makes me wonder why canon can't do it.
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #2
Tee Why
"Monkey's uncle"

Default Re: New from Pentax K10D

Why no weather sealing for a $1200 camera? I'd think it was the lack of competition.
My bet is that since a $899 camera has it, the 30D's replacement will probably have it as well. Nikon has weather sealing on their D2X/H and D200 lines, the Pentax k10D has it. So I think it's time for Canon to put it into their serious amateur/professional line as well. The K10D seems to have a much better designed verticle grip as well.

I think competition has caught up and even surpassed Canon on some points. Only thing Canon seems to have going is the relativly less noisy CMOS sensor.

Last edited by Tee Why : 14th of September 2006 (Thu) at 03:01.
Tee Why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #3
bidimagic

It seems new Pentax has very interesting features ... it also has a 22-bit A/D converter ... overall, seems that Canon should face another serious competitor!

5D shooter (Gear list)
Gallery
bidimagic is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #4
Mark0159

it is a very interesting camera. I really do hope that canon makes the replacement for the 30D weather sealed. That's what makes it interesting is that nikon/sony and pentax have released a camera around the same time all with features that makes the 30D seem like a waste of time.

I really do hope that canon releases a replacement this year, I would like to upgrade the 10D at some point

Ohh here's the link. I was planning on putting that in the first post.
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #5
Tee Why
"Monkey's uncle"

If Canon follows it's 18month cycle, the 30D should be replaced on Sept. of 07 since I believe it was release 2/06.

One thing to remeber about the new crop of entry level dslr's is that they all have 3fps and plastic body. Most serious amateurs prefer faster fps and magnesium bodies. But I think Canon missed the boat by not upgrading the 30D more significantly by adding weather sealing and adding a 10MP sensor (mainly for marketing purposes in my view). I think they got too big and hence lazy, and now the competition has caught up in many ways.

Tee Why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #6
bidimagic

Ah ... and it is priced around 899$ body only ... a few more than 400D, lot less than 30D !!! I'm so curious, I'm now waiting for first reviews of this Pentax!!! (Well, no way I'm thinking to move from Canon to Pentax ... just curious!)

5D shooter (Gear list)
Gallery
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #7
farrukh

Wow a new Sv and TAv mode. incredible camera for the price.
5D Mark II + 40D | Lenses: Sigma 150-500mm BigmOS / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Canon 70-200 F4L IS / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Sigma Macro 70mm f/2.8 EX / Sigma 10-20mm EX / Canon 50mm f/1.8 II / Sigma 1.4x APO TC / Kenko 2x PRO300 DG. Lighting: Canon 580EX II + Metz 58 AF-1 + Sunpak 383...
Flickr
farrukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #8
farrukh

Olympus E-400 is also announced http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...lympuse400.asp

Its also 10 megapixel. 30D is surely struggling by MP and weather sealing.
Can Canon surprise us with 12 megapixel 40d at photokina?
5D Mark II + 40D | Lenses: Sigma 150-500mm BigmOS / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Canon 70-200 F4L IS / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Sigma Macro 70mm f/2.8 EX / Sigma 10-20mm EX / Canon 50mm f/1.8 II / Sigma 1.4x APO TC / Kenko 2x PRO300 DG. Lighting: Canon 580EX II + Metz 58 AF-1 + Sunpak 383...
Flickr
farrukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #9
bidimagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrukh
Olympus E-400 is also announced http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...lympuse400.asp

Olympus seems less impressive to me. Pentax instead seems a strong competitor.

5D shooter (Gear list)
Gallery
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #10
Mark0159

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrukh

Now wouldn't that be nice. are we dreaming, you beat ya. do I care, not in the least.

everyone is coming out with 10mp cameras. I am sure that canon care about the 30D sales so they are either going to make these cameras look like toys and come out with a better camera or lose money. And it's coming to christmas.
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #11
bidimagic

Olympus has a smaller 4:3 sensor (size is 17.3 x 13.00), a very small and lightweight body ... seems ok for beginners, or for P&S shooters that would like to enter DSLR world without having to handle big and heavy cameras...

5D shooter (Gear list)
Gallery
Old 15th of September 2006 (Fri)   #12
DrPablo

The Pentax will also have in-body IS, a sensor self-cleaning mechanism, ISO adjustment in 1/3 stops, and multiple exposures with auto exposure adjustment. Cool!

Between these and a legendary history of top notch glass, they could do really well. I've read their price point will be $899. The 400D can't compete with this feature for feature -- they're going to have to undersell it.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxk10d/
Canon lineup: 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 100 f/2.8L macro, Canon 135 f/2L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 100-400 L, Canon MP-E 65/2.8 1-5x macro, 580EX, MT-24 EX

Last edited by DrPablo : 15th of September 2006 (Fri) at 00:38.
DrPablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of September 2006 (Sat)   #13
Kickstart

Hi

Having had a Pentax film SLR before going digital, if Pentax had got into the digital game earlier I would have stuck with them.

This new camera seems very good. And with a massive number of past lenses to choose from (and with the backup of Samsung using the same lense mount now) they are bound to tax lots of sales.

I expected the 30D to be replaced early next year (short stopgap life, like the D60). Be interesting to see what they come up with.

All the best

Keith
Old 16th of September 2006 (Sat)   #14
scokar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl-g3user
...The camera that I am talking about is the K10D...
Apparently it also saves in DNG format
scokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of September 2006 (Sat)   #15
Mark0159

I saw that too. not to sure if it's a good point or not. There doesn't seem to be many manfactures out there that are using. I am wondering if it's going to fall on it's head.