Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #1
savone

Default high speed sync via pc?

I am in need of some light for an on location shoot. I can not afford to pick up battery packs for my strobes so my second idea is to use my 550ex. I want to know does high speed sync work if I connect the 550 via pc cord?

Also, is there any wireless remote system that will fire my 550 with having another ex flash?
savone is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #2
PacAce

Default Re: high speed sync via pc?

High speed sync will only work when the flash is mounted on the hot shoe or attached to the hot shoe via the off-shoe cord 2 cable.

If you are asking if there's a way to fire the 550EX wirelessly without using another flash as a master, the answer is yes, with a Pocket Wizard or similar systems.

Last edited by PacAce : 14th of September 2006 (Thu) at 22:07.
PacAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #3
savone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacAce
High speed sync will only work in ETTL mode so that means the flash has to mounted on the hot shoe or attached to the hot shoe via the off-shoe cord 2 cable.

If you are asking if there's a way to fire the 550EX wirelessly without using another flash as a master, the answer is yes, with a Pocket Wizard or similar systems.

If I bought a single pocket wizard, how would it know it was triggering a flash? I am sorry if this is a stupid question, this is all new to me.

If I setup my 550ex on a lightstand I can trigger it with the pocket wizard without any other equipment?

Thanks
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #4
PacAce

You will actually need two PWs, one on the camera serving as the transmitter and the other attached to the flash serving as a receiver.

Also, please note the correction on my previous post regarding the "work in ETTL mode" part. That's not what I really wanted to say.
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #5
savone

Can you point me to something similar to the pocket wizard but more affordable? If I am going to pay that much for the pocket wizard I can buy another flash.
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #6
PacAce

I personally have no experience with anything other than the PW so I really can't point you to anything else. However, there are a couple of threads in this forum where wireless remotes available on eBay have been discussed. Maybe one of those threads can help you find what you're looking for.

Or, better yet, maybe someone who does have such a unit can chime in here.
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #7
savone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacAce
I personally have no experience with anything other than the PW so I really can't point you to anything else. However, there are a couple of threads in this forum where wireless remotes available on eBay have been discussed. Maybe one of those threads can help you find what you're looking for.

Or, better yet, maybe someone who does have such a unit can chime in here.
Thanks for your help, its appreciated.
Old 14th of September 2006 (Thu)   #8
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

If you use a non-communicating method of firing your 550EX, you will need fully manual exposure settings and you will not be able to use "high speed sync".

By "non-communicating method", I mean any connection other than a master-slave connection (another Canon flash unit or a Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 as a master) between the camera and the flash or a Canon Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2 to connect between the camera's hot shoe and the flash. Any PC-cord or radio connection will not enable the Speedlite to work with automatic exposure control.
SkipD is offline   Reply With Quote