Thread started 14 Sep 2006 (Thursday) 20:45   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

savone
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
1,040 posts
New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

I am in need of some light for an on location shoot. I can not afford to pick up battery packs for my strobes so my second idea is to use my 550ex. I want to know does high speed sync work if I connect the 550 via pc cord?

Also, is there any wireless remote system that will fire my 550 with having another ex flash?

Post #1, Sep 14, 2006 20:45:50

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

High speed sync will only work when the flash is mounted on the hot shoe or attached to the hot shoe via the off-shoe cord 2 cable.

If you are asking if there's a way to fire the 550EX wirelessly without using another flash as a master, the answer is yes, with a Pocket Wizard or similar systems.

Post #2, Sep 14, 2006 21:58:52

...Leo

savone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
1,040 posts
New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

PacAce wrote:
High speed sync will only work in ETTL mode so that means the flash has to mounted on the hot shoe or attached to the hot shoe via the off-shoe cord 2 cable.

If you are asking if there's a way to fire the 550EX wirelessly without using another flash as a master, the answer is yes, with a Pocket Wizard or similar systems.

If I bought a single pocket wizard, how would it know it was triggering a flash? I am sorry if this is a stupid question, this is all new to me.

If I setup my 550ex on a lightstand I can trigger it with the pocket wizard without any other equipment?

Thanks

Post #3, Sep 14, 2006 22:06:24 as a reply to PacAce's post 7 minutes earlier.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

You will actually need two PWs, one on the camera serving as the transmitter and the other attached to the flash serving as a receiver.

Also, please note the correction on my previous post regarding the "work in ETTL mode" part. That's not what I really wanted to say.

Post #4, Sep 14, 2006 22:10:03

...Leo

savone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
1,040 posts
New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

Can you point me to something similar to the pocket wizard but more affordable? If I am going to pay that much for the pocket wizard I can buy another flash. :)

Post #5, Sep 14, 2006 22:12:24

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I personally have no experience with anything other than the PW so I really can't point you to anything else. However, there are a couple of threads in this forum where wireless remotes available on eBay have been discussed. Maybe one of those threads can help you find what you're looking for.

Or, better yet, maybe someone who does have such a unit can chime in here. :)

Post #6, Sep 14, 2006 22:17:02

...Leo

savone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
1,040 posts
New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

PacAce wrote:
I personally have no experience with anything other than the PW so I really can't point you to anything else. However, there are a couple of threads in this forum where wireless remotes available on eBay have been discussed. Maybe one of those threads can help you find what you're looking for.

Or, better yet, maybe someone who does have such a unit can chime in here. :)

Thanks for your help, its appreciated.

Post #7, Sep 14, 2006 22:39:32 as a reply to PacAce's post 22 minutes earlier.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you use a non-communicating method of firing your 550EX, you will need fully manual exposure settings and you will not be able to use "high speed sync".

By "non-communicating method", I mean any connection other than a master-slave connection (another Canon flash unit or a Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 as a master) between the camera and the flash or a Canon Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2 to connect between the camera's hot shoe and the flash. Any PC-cord or radio connection will not enable the Speedlite to work with automatic exposure control.

Post #8, Sep 14, 2006 23:37:04

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,553 views & 0 likes for this thread
high speed sync via pc?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES