Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The POTN Lounge
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #1
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"

Default Aerial Photography.. Can I do it?..

Got asked at work if I could take some photos from above the resort.. they've decided to hire a small plan..... Now, how do I do that? My first concern is shooting through the window.. so, who's done it successfully and what do I need to know?.. mostly how difficult is it going to be to get a worthwhile photo from a small plane... were going out about an hour and a half before sunset on Sunday..

sari
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."
saravrose is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #2
lakiluno
slightly jealous

Default Re: Aerial Photography.. Can I do it?..

I would of thought a heli would be better...

anyway. I guess the number one thing to do would be able to open the window or door. Any kind of glass creates issues with photos, especially relatively thick glass that's often dirty. I've heard of people using monopods, harness systems and leaning out of the plane, but I guess thats probably a bit too dangerous. A monopod may be useful though - just check your allowed that sort of thing on the aircraft first.
lakiluno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #3
tag141
Goldmember

He shot through the glass apparently. Nice and crisp pics.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=220926

I think a heli would be better as well.
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #4
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

I've done allot of air to air photography of other aircraft. In this instance the subject is something on the ground and not an aircraft flying next to you, which I might add is downright awesome.

My first try at this was with an aircraft that we could just open the window and it was ok but just that, ok. Had to spend allot of time with the chase pilot manovering the aircraft as the window wasn't all that large. This will work depending upon the aircraft you are in. Keep in mind that if you are shooting through an open window and you are anywhere near being right above your target area, you will have to get your chase pilot to turn the aircraft almost right on it side so you are shooting straight down on your target. It will be uncomfortable but it can be done.

Subsequent shoots I insisted on taking the aircraft door off. I wore a body harness that was attached to the aircraft frame inside the cabin. I'll tell you that there is nothing quite as exhilarating as this. Nothing between you and the ground except that harness that you are wearing. I would lean out of the aircraft if I had to get the shot. I had all the faith in the world with both of the pilots and over the course of several years we did many aircraft and I always insisted on the same piloting group.

If you are shooting subjects on the ground and you are shooting from a low wing aircraft the wing placement can sometimes get in your way. It was perfect for the air to air shots as I could work above it. If I had a choice of aircraft and I was doing a subject on the ground my first choice would be a helicopter followed by a high wing aircraft. If you end up shooting from a low wing aircraft make sure that you do your shooting from in front of the engines. If you shoot from behind the wing you will get the heat waves from the engine (like on a hot day) that can interfere with the quality of your image.

I would forget monopod, it just doesn't work up there. You need as much mobility as you can get and this does cut in down.

I'm not all that keen on the time of day that you have picked. An hour and a half before sunset you start to get a rather yellow sun and your shadows are going to be way more pronounced than you would get mid day. It also depends on the look the client is looking for, this may be it. If you have a choice of the time of day just pay attention for a few days before which time gives you the most desirable shadowing.

Be blunt with them and tell them that shooting through a window just isn't going to give them much in the way of images that are going to be that good, no matter how good you are. Most aircraft have plexiglass windows and they tend to have scratches and small lines that will diffuse your image. There are aircraft out there that are designed for this sort of thing that you can shoot through their windows but I highly doubt that you will have access to this.

I'm jealous of you. I loved doing these shoots. I was on a high for days after doing them. Of course this was all back in the film days an I did most of the shots with a medium format camera. Keep the shutter speed up fairly high to avoid camera shake which can be prevalent when doing this.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #5
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssim View Post
I've done allot of air to air photography of other aircraft. In this instance the subject is something on the ground and not an aircraft flying next to you, which I might add is downright awesome.

My first try at this was with an aircraft that we could just open the window and it was ok but just that, ok. Had to spend allot of time with the chase pilot manovering the aircraft as the window wasn't all that large. This will work depending upon the aircraft you are in. Keep in mind that if you are shooting through an open window and you are anywhere near being right above your target area, you will have to get your chase pilot to turn the aircraft almost right on it side so you are shooting straight down on your target. It will be uncomfortable but it can be done.

Subsequent shoots I insisted on taking the aircraft door off. I wore a body harness that was attached to the aircraft frame inside the cabin. I'll tell you that there is nothing quite as exhilarating as this. Nothing between you and the ground except that harness that you are wearing. I would lean out of the aircraft if I had to get the shot. I had all the faith in the world with both of the pilots and over the course of several years we did many aircraft and I always insisted on the same piloting group.

If you are shooting subjects on the ground and you are shooting from a low wing aircraft the wing placement can sometimes get in your way. It was perfect for the air to air shots as I could work above it. If I had a choice of aircraft and I was doing a subject on the ground my first choice would be a helicopter followed by a high wing aircraft. If you end up shooting from a low wing aircraft make sure that you do your shooting from in front of the engines. If you shoot from behind the wing you will get the heat waves from the engine (like on a hot day) that can interfere with the quality of your image.

I would forget monopod, it just doesn't work up there. You need as much mobility as you can get and this does cut in down.

I'm not all that keen on the time of day that you have picked. An hour and a half before sunset you start to get a rather yellow sun and your shadows are going to be way more pronounced than you would get mid day. It also depends on the look the client is looking for, this may be it. If you have a choice of the time of day just pay attention for a few days before which time gives you the most desirable shadowing.

Be blunt with them and tell them that shooting through a window just isn't going to give them much in the way of images that are going to be that good, no matter how good you are. Most aircraft have plexiglass windows and they tend to have scratches and small lines that will diffuse your image. There are aircraft out there that are designed for this sort of thing that you can shoot through their windows but I highly doubt that you will have access to this.

I'm jealous of you. I loved doing these shoots. I was on a high for days after doing them. Of course this was all back in the film days an I did most of the shots with a medium format camera. Keep the shutter speed up fairly high to avoid camera shake which can be prevalent when doing this.
wow... strapping myself to the airplane kind of maks me sick to my stomach.. just a little bit at the idea.. the time of day wasn't exactly my choice. it had to be on sunday and I have a full work day before I can even think of going... thanks everybody for the advice and i'll ask her about the windows when I hear from her... thanks for the tips and I hope it turns out well..

sari
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #6
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Well sitting in the front seat of a two man Breezy is probably the ultimate, but as there just are not that many Breezys around, so itís probably not an option.

Might want to head out to one of the smaller local airports and ask if there is anyone with a Piper Cub, Champ, or Citabria who would like to make a few bucks. They fly low and slow and most importantly, the window pops open or you can even remove the door. Another option might be to contact a local parachute club as they also have aircraft with nice wide openings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breezy.jpg (47.2 KB, 227 views)
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #7
rhys
Dis-Membered

I did air photography. I removed the window and suffered a slight breeze as a result.

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk
www.sageworld.org
www.sagephotoworld.com

Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/thunderintheheavens

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #8
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper

A couple years ago, I read in PopPhoto (or similar) of a rig that had a P&S mounted on a very high end kite. I don't remember what the shutter release was but I seem to recall that a timer (once per minute) worked and a remote did not - op perhaps it was the other way around.

The shots were excellent though.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.
Radtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #9
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper

Just did a google for: +aeriel +photography +kite +camera

and found this:

http://scotthaefner.com/kap/

Scott Haefher's Kite Aerial Photography.

Some really nice shots mounting a Nikkon Coolpics 8400 to a kite.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.
Radtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #10
rhys
Dis-Membered

Now there is a guy doing air photos with a 5D and a radio-controlled helicopter.

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk
www.sageworld.org
www.sagephotoworld.com

Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/thunderintheheavens

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #11
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide

You need a large Helium baloon, your camera gear around your neck )I recommend a wide angle) and a couple of pins (one as a fallback if you lose the other one!) HAve a couple of strapping, good looking guys hold your ankles untill you're 100% ready (may take some time if they are very strapping and attractive). Allow yourself to float off into the sky while snapping as you go. When you have the shots, or you bang your head on some clouds, then pop the baloon ... oh, you need a parachute as well

condyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #12
lakiluno
slightly jealous

not such a bad idea dave - except you need lots of balloons, and a BB gun to burst them..

just don't burst too many when you want to come down!
lakiluno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #13
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide

Nice innovation kid. That would allow the intrepid maiden to forego the parachute and adds in the possibility of remaining at a semi constant height. I likee. However, I know that she is anti-gun and so let's add in a pea shooter

Last edited by condyk : 29th of September 2006 (Fri) at 15:21.
condyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #14
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"

LMAO.. thank you dave soo much for the advice.. I am now on the lookout for a couple of 'strapping lads'.. Unfortunately the best looking ones around the resort are really adorable and a cute little couple... but, does that defeat the purpose of getting strapping lads to hold my ankles?...however I think I might just go with the hiring a little plane.. complete with pilot, wings, engine and all of those other details that mean that I will return from the sky in one piece.. if not a little airsick..

sari.
Old 29th of September 2006 (Fri)   #15
MHP

ssim is on the right track, it's not worth doing through a window, that'll be a waste of time and $$. best to do it around the middle of the day or a couple of hrs either side depending on where you want the most light, you lose a lot of light near sunset, and as much a you want that nice light, it's no good to you if the images are shaky. I do these for real estate companies out of a helicopter, and we tried doing the 'just before sunset' gig but it never worked, the more light the better. you'll need a long lens as they can only go so low usually. don't worry about being strapped in and hanging out, it's all good and safe and you'll enjoy the adrenalin rush and the few beers to calm it afterwards .

blog
MHP is offline   Reply With Quote