Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of December 2003 (Sat)   #1
irish14500

Default changing MVI format to Media Player Format

Hey all-

New to the forum. Just purchased a Canon Powershot A70. Learned how to record a movie with the camera. Already know how to download files with the software supplied with the camera to the PC. However, when attempting to view the recorded movie from the camera, I receive a message about Windows Media Player not recognizing the file type (but it plays it anyway). When I save the file to disc, it saves as MVI format. What do I need to do to get the movie into a recognizable format?---IRISH
irish14500 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of December 2003 (Sun)   #2
cA70

Default Re: changing MVI format to Media Player Format

Trick i use for programs like adobe is rename to .mpg. Dont know how it works cause its the same contents but it must but the way it interprets it.

Might work otherwise i'll try to think of somehting else.
cA70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of December 2003 (Sun)   #3
irish14500

Hey all-

After searching the web (and a few posts), I have found the way to convert MVI files to Windows Media. First, I downloaded a free program called 'Stoik Video Converter'. This program converts the MVI video file in the Canon A70 Powershot to AVI format for QuickTime at a rather small file size. For those who still want to convert it from AVI format to Windows Media, Download and install the Windows Media encoder 9 series (also free). Thing is with the Windows Encoder, it makes the file sizes much larger in comparison to the AVI file size. After conversion, you can then open the movie in Movie Maker to edit it. Lots of luck----IRISH
irish14500 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of November 2005 (Sat)   #4
Norberto Bustos

When I save the file to disc, it saves as MVI format. What do I need to do to get the movie into a recognizable format?---
Norberto Bustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of September 2006 (Fri)   #5
ebony123

Cool Re: changing MVI format to Media Player Format

Hi Guys
When I downloaded movie files from my Canon Powershot they had no extension just MVI_### numbering. So I just added a .avi extension to each file and they worked in media player. It's a bit of a pain though and I think Canon should make it more simple and user friendly.
Cheers
ebony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of September 2006 (Fri)   #6
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebony123
Hi Guys
When I downloaded movie files from my Canon Powershot they had no extension just MVI_### numbering. So I just added a .avi extension to each file and they worked in media player. It's a bit of a pain though and I think Canon should make it more simple and user friendly.
Cheers
How were you downloading and how were you viewing the file names? My A80 and A620 movies came down with .AVI and .THM extensions.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of September 2006 (Sat)   #7
lakiluno
slightly jealous

In my A75 the movies are in AVI. Obviously they changed how they are saved.

As for the actual format, all Canon digital compacts record movies in the Motion JPEG format. Download a MJpeg codec if you don't already have one, but the likelyhood is WMP won't play files if it doesn't know the extension.

For a simple video player, I'd recommend downloading either "Media Player Classic" (XP version, Windows ME Version - I'd assume the XP version works with Win. 2000, and the ME version works with win 98) or "VLC Media Player" - both these players will attempt to play everything you throw at them, and can play DVD's etc as well.

The conversion process you are going through will dramatically reduce the quality of the video. If you leave it in its original format, it will be much better.
lakiluno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2007 (Sun)   #8
logantv

Even opening a folder that has .avi files locks up explorer (WinXP Pro) until I Ctrl+Alt+Del. I looked in the registry and my computer has the .avi extension. Anybody ever heard of this or have any ideas? I can't rename the extension because explorer locks up before I get the chance. It doesn't seem to matter if I have the .thm file in the same folder or not. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by logantv : 1st of July 2007 (Sun) at 19:30.
logantv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2007 (Mon)   #9
gubak1
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish14500 View Post
Hey all-

However, when attempting to view the recorded movie from the camera, I receive a message about Windows Media Player not recognizing the file type (but it plays it anyway). When I save the file to disc, it saves as MVI format. What do I need to do to get the movie into a recognizable format?---IRISH
Why do you care about file format? If your Media Player plays that file you needn't to do enything.
There are more ways to convert MVI to any other movi file, but every converting will reduce the quality of your movi file!
gubak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2007 (Mon)   #10
PsychProf

I needed to convert my S2IS video with the .avi extension to .wmv so my local TV station could receive and edit my videos for on-air news stories. I have never loaded the Canon software on my computer. I just use a card reader and let XP load everything in MY PICTURES. Then I open Windows Movie Maker and import the .avi file I want to email to the station. After importing the file drag the file thumbnail to the lower left at the beginning of the Storyboard. Then select "send in email" and the Save Movie Wizard should appear. Click on "Save a copy of my movie on my computer" and give it a file name. It should say windows media video files (.wmv) under the file name. Then click save. It is saved as a .wmv file. You can click "next" and the email window should open and you can send the movie as an attachment to an email.
Now, the quality is reduced because the file size is much smaller to allow for easier emialing. But the station has used my video on air so it is sufficient for some electronic news gathering. The station is 55 miles away and being able to send 15 second clips saves a 110 mile round trip: that is a lot of time and a lot of gasoline saved. Good luck in your conversions.
PsychProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of January 2010 (Mon)   #11
srimanmatha

i need mvi to dvd convert
srimanmatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of May 2010 (Thu)   #12
Hamid1989

I record a movie with the camera , with my canon SX200 and I download files to the PC but when attempting to view the recorded movie from the camera I find it's need to rotate 90 deg , now I need a program to do that. It's really emergency , please help me.
Hamid1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of May 2010 (Thu)   #13
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Last I looked (which was, admittedly, quite a while ago) ZoomBrowser offers that functionality. ISTR you select the video clip in it and choose "Edit". It's one of the options available from there.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote