Thread started 27 Dec 2003 (Saturday) 20:52   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

irish14500
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2003
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey all-

New to the forum. Just purchased a Canon Powershot A70. Learned how to record a movie with the camera. Already know how to download files with the software supplied with the camera to the PC. However, when attempting to view the recorded movie from the camera, I receive a message about Windows Media Player not recognizing the file type (but it plays it anyway). When I save the file to disc, it saves as MVI format. What do I need to do to get the movie into a recognizable format?---IRISH

Post #1, Dec 27, 2003 20:52:22

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
cA70
Joined Aug 2003
410 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Trick i use for programs like adobe is rename to .mpg. Dont know how it works cause its the same contents but it must but the way it interprets it.

Might work otherwise i'll try to think of somehting else.

Post #2, Dec 28, 2003 05:19:45

irish14500
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2003
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey all-

After searching the web (and a few posts), I have found the way to convert MVI files to Windows Media. First, I downloaded a free program called 'Stoik Video Converter'. This program converts the MVI video file in the Canon A70 Powershot to AVI format for QuickTime at a rather small file size. For those who still want to convert it from AVI format to Windows Media, Download and install the Windows Media encoder 9 series (also free). Thing is with the Windows Encoder, it makes the file sizes much larger in comparison to the AVI file size. After conversion, you can then open the movie in Movie Maker to edit it. Lots of luck----IRISH

Post #3, Dec 28, 2003 10:51:45

Norberto ­ Bustos
Hatchling
Joined Nov 2005
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

When I save the file to disc, it saves as MVI format. What do I need to do to get the movie into a recognizable format?---

Post #4, Nov 05, 2005 13:08:09

ebony123
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2006
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Guys
When I downloaded movie files from my Canon Powershot they had no extension just MVI_### numbering. So I just added a .avi extension to each file and they worked in media player. It's a bit of a pain though and I think Canon should make it more simple and user friendly.
Cheers

Post #5, Sep 01, 2006 13:10:24

sponsored links
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,184 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

ebony123 wrote:
Hi Guys
When I downloaded movie files from my Canon Powershot they had no extension just MVI_### numbering. So I just added a .avi extension to each file and they worked in media player. It's a bit of a pain though and I think Canon should make it more simple and user friendly.
Cheers

How were you downloading and how were you viewing the file names? My A80 and A620 movies came down with .AVI and .THM extensions.

Post #6, Sep 01, 2006 13:13:13 as a reply to ebony123's post 2 minutes earlier.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

lakiluno
slightly jealous
Joined Oct 2005
2,895 posts
Leeds, UK (formerly Edinburgh, Scotland)
[MORE/SHARE]

In my A75 the movies are in AVI. Obviously they changed how they are saved.

As for the actual format, all Canon digital compacts record movies in the Motion JPEG format. Download a MJpeg codec if you don't already have one, but the likelyhood is WMP won't play files if it doesn't know the extension.

For a simple video player, I'd recommend downloading either "Media Player Classic" (XP versionexternal link, Windows ME Versionexternal link - I'd assume the XP version works with Win. 2000, and the ME version works with win 98) or "VLC Media Playerexternal link" - both these players will attempt to play everything you throw at them, and can play DVD's etc as well.

The conversion process you are going through will dramatically reduce the quality of the video. If you leave it in its original format, it will be much better.

Post #7, Sep 02, 2006 06:20:17

Leo
20D|Tamron 17-50 2.8|Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro|50 1.8|Sigma EF-500 DG Super|
My Photo Galleryexternal link *New* | My Gear List | Backup Photos Easily with Robocopy

logantv
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2007
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Even opening a folder that has .avi files locks up explorer (WinXP Pro) until I Ctrl+Alt+Del. I looked in the registry and my computer has the .avi extension. Anybody ever heard of this or have any ideas? I can't rename the extension because explorer locks up before I get the chance. It doesn't seem to matter if I have the .thm file in the same folder or not. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post #8, Jul 01, 2007 19:26:42 as a reply to lakiluno's post 10 months earlier.

gubak1
Joined Sep 2006
126 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

irish14500 wrote in post #124375external link
Hey all-

However, when attempting to view the recorded movie from the camera, I receive a message about Windows Media Player not recognizing the file type (but it plays it anyway). When I save the file to disc, it saves as MVI format. What do I need to do to get the movie into a recognizable format?---IRISH

Why do you care about file format? If your Media Player plays that file you needn't to do enything.
There are more ways to convert MVI to any other movi file, but every converting will reduce the quality of your movi file!

Post #9, Jul 02, 2007 01:36:24

Digital Camera Overview, News, Forumsexternal link
Canon EOS 300D / Digital Rebel reviewexternal link

PsychProf
Joined Dec 2005
430 posts
Madison, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I needed to convert my S2IS video with the .avi extension to .wmv so my local TV station could receive and edit my videos for on-air news stories. I have never loaded the Canon software on my computer. I just use a card reader and let XP load everything in MY PICTURES. Then I open Windows Movie Maker and import the .avi file I want to email to the station. After importing the file drag the file thumbnail to the lower left at the beginning of the Storyboard. Then select "send in email" and the Save Movie Wizard should appear. Click on "Save a copy of my movie on my computer" and give it a file name. It should say windows media video files (.wmv) under the file name. Then click save. It is saved as a .wmv file. You can click "next" and the email window should open and you can send the movie as an attachment to an email.
Now, the quality is reduced because the file size is much smaller to allow for easier emialing. But the station has used my video on air so it is sufficient for some electronic news gathering. The station is 55 miles away and being able to send 15 second clips saves a 110 mile round trip: that is a lot of time and a lot of gasoline saved. Good luck in your conversions.

Post #10, Jul 02, 2007 16:13:24 as a reply to gubak1's post 14 hours earlier.

Pat
Canon A95 and Canon S2IS
Vivitar 285HV Flash with SL-2 Slave trigger

srimanmatha
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2010
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

i need mvi to dvd convert

Post #11, Jan 04, 2010 05:50:27

sponsored links
Hamid1989
Hatchling
Joined May 2010
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I record a movie with the camera , with my canon SX200 and I download files to the PC but when attempting to view the recorded movie from the camera I find it's need to rotate 90 deg , now I need a program to do that. It's really emergency , please help me.

Post #12, May 27, 2010 12:42:39

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,184 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Last I looked (which was, admittedly, quite a while ago) ZoomBrowser offers that functionality. ISTR you select the video clip in it and choose "Edit". It's one of the options available from there.

Post #13, May 27, 2010 15:12:08

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

LIST NEARBY THREADS
157,907 views & 0 likes for this thread
changing MVI format to Media Player Format
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES