Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 12 Oct 2006 (Thursday) 12:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Concert Photography Tips: A FAQ Perhaps

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,656 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Andover, MA
Mar 31, 2012 11:45 |  #61

disagree, you can certainly be both.

i only shoot bands i'm interested in.

www.tinnitus-photography.comexternal link
Facebook linkexternal link

gear list

sponsored links
thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Mar 31, 2012 16:03 |  #62

narlus wrote in post #14186310external link
disagree, you can certainly be both.

i only shoot bands i'm interested in.

Yeah, makes the pictures come out better, and I get to listen to some fun music.

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
so, what are we talking about?
21,379 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Buellton, California, USA
Mar 31, 2012 16:21 |  #63

Please, only Concert FAQ discussion ... take opinions offline.

Dwight McCann
Websiteexternal link - Facebookexternal link
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio
How I Got Into This Businesshttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=13157388#post13​157388

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,379 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Jan 11, 2014 10:02 |  #64

Shooting Agreements: More and more bands (or their management/labels/publ​icists) are requiring you to sign agreements before being credentialed. These agreements may only address how many songs (the most common measure of time allowed to shoot) are permitted but usually also address 'no flash'. Next most common thing is where you may be when shooting. Many of the older performers (many of whom have had cosmetic surgery, particularly for double chins and sagging jowls) only want to be photographed from far away. A lot of bands want to be shot close up for the most dramatic effects and limit you to 'the pit'. The pit is the area between the stage and the audience, often cordoned off with security mixed in with you. My venue does not have a pit.

The bigger and less common issue is what may be done with the photographs. They are often limited to being used in an editorial setting addressing the performance at which they were taken. Some groups require pre-approval although sometimes when you ask for the approvals you are ignored ... I suspect that these parts of the agreements were placed in them to control specific things and it then turned out to be too much trouble. Some acts want to own your images.

I am not sure how this uber-control business started. I suspect that some photographers figured out how to make a few dollars with t-shirts or posters using their images and this inflamed some of the enormous egos that they were losing a couple of bucks. [Stories of how possessive/aggressive/​abusive some members of bands become with success are rampant. Some sue each other for years and years over use of the band name or rights to songs. And there are the reports of some groups insisting on specific colored M&M's or at which plant their mineral water was bottled. I am personally aware that many/most of these stories are true.]

There are ongoing discussions of these agreements: whether they are legally binding, are they ever enforced, what is the motivation, who benefits, do the bands even know about them. There seems to be no clear answers but there is plenty of opinion. At my venue I sign most anything but strike out anything that impedes my responsibility to my employer, which is the venue. I have never had a problem, but then my boss is paying them. We are not lawyers and cannot give you legal advice.

Dwight McCann
How I Got Into This Businesshttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=13157388#post13​157388

Rae' ­ Lee
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2014
May 18, 2014 21:20 |  #65

100,000? Jeez I would be happy with that... Thank you for all the info very helpful...

stratoholic
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Phoenix,AZ
Sep 21, 2014 10:43 |  #66

I'm new here and new to concert photography/photograph​y, and this faq page is full of so much useful information. Thank you all for this! Now I have to keep reading and learning!

pnauduri05
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Sep 28, 2014 16:21 as a reply to post 2111640 |  #67

Hi Anyone,

Can i suggest how to imporve the event photography. Yesterday I shoot my first event.
Canon 50d,70-200mm F2.8 L IS. F4.0,iso 1600 1/50sec and 110mm.
Please give the feedback.
Rao

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,379 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Sep 28, 2014 19:36 |  #68

pnauduri05 wrote in post #17182453external link
Hi Anyone,

Can i suggest how to imporve the event photography. Yesterday I shoot my first event.
Canon 50d,70-200mm F2.8 L IS. F4.0,iso 1600 1/50sec and 110mm.
Please give the feedback.
Rao

Pnaudurio, this thread isn't for asking for help, it is for advice by experienced concert shooters. Why did you post here?

Dwight McCann

sponsored links

112,086 views & 2 likes for this thread
Concert Photography Tips: A FAQ Perhaps
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.