Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of October 2006 (Fri)   #1
tbfoto

Default Photos with people in wheelchairs

Has anyone done shots with people who are in wheelchairs before. The father of the bride is in a wheelchair and I'm not trying to hide anything but rather just want to ensure that the photo looks good. Because of the height difference I'm thinking that I would have to have the bride and groom be seated as well. Does anyone have any shots like this that they care to post?

Tom
tbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of October 2006 (Fri)   #2
DaveG
Goldmember

Default Re: Photos with people in wheelchairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbfoto View Post
Has anyone done shots with people who are in wheelchairs before. The father of the bride is in a wheelchair and I'm not trying to hide anything but rather just want to ensure that the photo looks good. Because of the height difference I'm thinking that I would have to have the bride and groom be seated as well. Does anyone have any shots like this that they care to post?

Tom
I think that I's try to get the B&G to stoop down rather than using chairs. Or maybe a small stool for the bride sit on while the groom kneels. That would create a more informal look and it certainly would be tighter. I'd also get someone to check the wheelchair so that there was no grease or oil that could get on the bride's dress.

Canon 5D, 50D; 16-35 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro, 70-200 f2.8L, 300mm f2.8L IS.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of October 2006 (Fri)   #3
jameslcross

Location: Norwich, UK........ Current best leg: Right Likes: Lost. Licks:Stamps.

Hmm I'd be tempted to take some potrait photos and leave everyone standing.

There have been a lot of posts like this recently, I think the thing to remember is that the families are well aware of the disability and are going to be well asjusted to it, I think if you are asking them to go out of there way too accomodate the disabled person they may find this a little weird.

Albert Einstein.
jameslcross is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of October 2006 (Fri)   #4
tbfoto

Like I said...I don't intend to try to "hide" anything. I'm just hoping for a way to bring all the faces near the same plane of view. I've thought about the fact that this is an everyday thing for them. However I would like for them to view their proofs and say to themselves "WOW he did a real good job at making Dad look good". It is a special event for all of them and I hope to please them.
tbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of October 2006 (Fri)   #5
jameslcross

Location: Norwich, UK........ Current best leg: Right Likes: Lost. Licks:Stamps.

Perhaps shoot both?

Albert Einstein.
jameslcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of October 2006 (Sat)   #6
blueaerodynamique

I agree about the family being adjusted to the disability. My husband uses a wheelchair and in my experience, if other people are around the chair, photos look better when they have their bodies straight. So either stood up normally, or if you want the faces nearer that of the person using the chair get the others to go down by bending knees if possible rather than bending over. If you do the latter then it is possible you will just see straight down the brides dress! LOL It's a subtle difference but also if the able bodied are down with their knees bent then they look more as if they are "with" the person in the chair rather than making adjustments for him. Does that make sense? It's hard to explain. I think I have a couple of shots somewhere which I will post if I can find.
blueaerodynamique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of October 2006 (Sat)   #7
nitsch
Goldmember

My late mother was in a wheelchair for my wedding photos and one of our favourite pictures from the day has my wife and I sat down so we are at the same level as my Mum with my Dad stood fairly centrally behind the three of us. I guess it is quite an informal shot as no one was specifically posed for it but it works really nicely and has pride of place in the lounge. Good luck!
nitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of October 2006 (Sat)   #8
Phil V

Was there only me who thought of the Derek Pye article on the subject.
Pleeease don't go looking for it if you're easily offended.
I daren't post a link as I don't want to appear insensitive, but it really is quite an insight
Phil V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of October 2006 (Sat)   #9
Saralonde

Could you do a closeup of the bride with her face close to her dad's? Other than that, I agree with the others that the family understands the wheelchair is there and it doesn't bother them that much.
Saralonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of October 2006 (Sat)   #10
LuisE

I did shot this wedding some months ago. Take a look. they were happy with the results.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=201992
LuisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of October 2006 (Mon)   #11
Scott_Quier

The thought/image that comes to mind: shoot portrait mode, put the FOB in center of the image. Bride to one side, on a stool that places her head just above FOB's head. Groom, standing, right behind FOB or to the other side. Done right, you have a composition where the eye is drawn in a spiral from one face to the next to the last.
Scott_Quier is offline   Reply With Quote