FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 13 Oct 2006 (Friday) 10:54   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tbfoto
Joined Dec 2004
655 posts
Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Has anyone done shots with people who are in wheelchairs before. The father of the bride is in a wheelchair and I'm not trying to hide anything but rather just want to ensure that the photo looks good. Because of the height difference I'm thinking that I would have to have the bride and groom be seated as well. Does anyone have any shots like this that they care to post?

Tom

Post #1, Oct 13, 2006 10:54:15

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DaveG
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2003
2,040 posts
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
[MORE/SHARE]

tbfoto wrote in post #2115471external link
Has anyone done shots with people who are in wheelchairs before. The father of the bride is in a wheelchair and I'm not trying to hide anything but rather just want to ensure that the photo looks good. Because of the height difference I'm thinking that I would have to have the bride and groom be seated as well. Does anyone have any shots like this that they care to post?

Tom

I think that I's try to get the B&G to stoop down rather than using chairs. Or maybe a small stool for the bride sit on while the groom kneels. That would create a more informal look and it certainly would be tighter. I'd also get someone to check the wheelchair so that there was no grease or oil that could get on the bride's dress.

Post #2, Oct 13, 2006 12:09:55

"There's never time to do it right. But there's always time to do it over."
Canon 5D, 50D; 16-35 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro, 70-200 f2.8L, 300mm f2.8L IS.

jameslcross
Joined Sep 2006
223 posts
Norwich, UK........ Current best leg: Right Likes: Lost. Licks:Stamps.
[MORE/SHARE]

Hmm I'd be tempted to take some potrait photos and leave everyone standing.

There have been a lot of posts like this recently, I think the thing to remember is that the families are well aware of the disability and are going to be well asjusted to it, I think if you are asking them to go out of there way too accomodate the disabled person they may find this a little weird.

Post #3, Oct 13, 2006 12:22:21

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein.

tbfoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2004
655 posts
Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Like I said...I don't intend to try to "hide" anything. I'm just hoping for a way to bring all the faces near the same plane of view. I've thought about the fact that this is an everyday thing for them. However I would like for them to view their proofs and say to themselves "WOW he did a real good job at making Dad look good". It is a special event for all of them and I hope to please them.

Post #4, Oct 13, 2006 13:46:43 as a reply to jameslcross's post 1 hour earlier.

jameslcross
Joined Sep 2006
223 posts
Norwich, UK........ Current best leg: Right Likes: Lost. Licks:Stamps.
[MORE/SHARE]

Perhaps shoot both?

Post #5, Oct 13, 2006 19:11:16

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein.

sponsored links
blueaerodynamique
Joined Apr 2006
150 posts
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree about the family being adjusted to the disability. My husband uses a wheelchair and in my experience, if other people are around the chair, photos look better when they have their bodies straight. So either stood up normally, or if you want the faces nearer that of the person using the chair get the others to go down by bending knees if possible rather than bending over. If you do the latter then it is possible you will just see straight down the brides dress! LOL It's a subtle difference but also if the able bodied are down with their knees bent then they look more as if they are "with" the person in the chair rather than making adjustments for him. Does that make sense? It's hard to explain. I think I have a couple of shots somewhere which I will post if I can find.

Post #6, Oct 14, 2006 03:23:20

My gear:-
http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=3135133&postcou​nt=604

nitsch
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
2,393 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

My late mother was in a wheelchair for my wedding photos and one of our favourite pictures from the day has my wife and I sat down so we are at the same level as my Mum with my Dad stood fairly centrally behind the three of us. I guess it is quite an informal shot as no one was specifically posed for it but it works really nicely and has pride of place in the lounge. Good luck! :)

Post #7, Oct 14, 2006 03:34:14

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
1,690 posts
S Yorks UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Was there only me who thought of the Derek Pye article on the subject.
Pleeease don't go looking for it if you're easily offended.
I daren't post a link as I don't want to appear insensitive, but it really is quite an insight:confused:

Post #8, Oct 14, 2006 09:09:12

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer [URL="http://www.philv​aughanphotography.co.u​k/"]in Doncasterexternal link
Twitterexternal linkFacebookexternal link

Saralonde
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
1,019 posts
Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

Could you do a closeup of the bride with her face close to her dad's? Other than that, I agree with the others that the family understands the wheelchair is there and it doesn't bother them that much.

Post #9, Oct 14, 2006 09:16:00

LuisE
Joined Sep 2005
500 posts
South Florida, US
[MORE/SHARE]

I did shot this wedding some months ago. Take a look. they were happy with the results.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=201992

Post #10, Oct 14, 2006 11:21:20

Canon 40D,Canon 50D,Canon EFs 10-22 f/3.5-4.5,Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 24-70 2.8L ,Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM, , 2 Speedlites 580EX and 420EX

www.luisephotography.c​omexternal link

Scott_Quier
Joined Jul 2006
888 posts
Newport News, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

The thought/image that comes to mind: shoot portrait mode, put the FOB in center of the image. Bride to one side, on a stool that places her head just above FOB's head. Groom, standing, right behind FOB or to the other side. Done right, you have a composition where the eye is drawn in a spiral from one face to the next to the last.

Post #11, Oct 16, 2006 11:21:08 as a reply to LuisE's post 1 day earlier.

Scott
Operation: Love Reunitedexternal link
Check out my blogexternal link Gear List

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,611 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photos with people in wheelchairs
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES