Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #1
fi20100
Goldmember

Default Lens hood, UV filter and lens cap - all at once?

Lens hood, UV filter and lens cap... can all three be on at for instance the EF 70-200mm L f/4 at once? Or will there be a problem?

And for that lens, would the B+W UV-filter MRC (010M) be a good one?
fi20100 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #2
mrfourcows
Goldmember

Default Re: Lens hood, UV filter and lens cap - all at once?

you could use all at once, the only problem is that you'll get a black picture.

remove the lens cap when shooting!

and the filter is a good choice.
mrfourcows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #3
Lani Kai
"blissfully unaware"

What sort of problem are you anticipating?
Anyway, this is perfectly okay. The only exception to this is lenses with hoods that screw into the filter thread, like with certain Sigma lenses (eg 50mm Macro, 105mm Macro). Since the lens cap and hood both occupy the same thread, it is not possible to have both on simultaneously.
B+W MRC filters are excellent.
Lani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #4
fi20100
Goldmember

Haha, yes of course I was just thinking since when I borrowed a 24mm f/2.8 w/ a UV filter, the lens cap seemed to be very loose, and came off in the bag many times. Just wanted to make sure Thanks for your reply.
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #5
fi20100
Goldmember

Thanks Lani Kai. Since I only have the kit lens at the moment, and would really like to start expanding, I just don’t want any bad surprises
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #6
Carzee
Cream of the Crop

Firstly, in studio you don't want any of them. Outside IMHO the stupid caps get in the way and take up precious seconds. A UV is the better lens cap. I have to laugh at the little strings holding onto a cap I see dangling from lenses. real tourist look.
Lens hoods I use are the rubber ones -they bend, they collapse and squish into small spaces, they cost little if you lose 'em.
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #7
fi20100
Goldmember

Actually, I think you’re right. Having a UV filter on at all time, the lens cap will probably only be on the lens when it’s in a bag.
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #8
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi20100 View Post
Lens hood, UV filter and lens cap... can all three be on at for instance the EF 70-200mm L f/4 at once? Or will there be a problem?

And for that lens, would the B+W UV-filter MRC (010M) be a good one?
You can forget the UV filter under most conditions. The only time that it might make any sense at all to use one is if you are shooting at the beach with blowing sand and/or salty sea spray.

Make sure you always use the lens hood - whenever the lens is on the camera. It will not only provide protection against stray light, but will provide a tremendous amount of physical protection as well. There are many threads in this forum describing this.

Many of my lenses go into the camera case with their hoods in a ready-to-use position. Those with hoods long enough to keep other things in the case from contacting the front element of the lens don't even get a cap put on them when in the case. Those lenses with very wide hoods (such as my 16-35L) get a cap put on them without removing the hood. Those lenses that are too long to go in the case with the hood in a ready-to-use position (such as my 70-200 f/2.8L IS) get the hood mounted in reverse with a cap mounted when stored in the case.

Use proper cleaning procedures for your lenses - the goal of which is to NEVER grind any dirt into the lens - and you will have no problem with scratches. None of my 40-year-old (and well used) lenses have any scratches, and I have never had a filter on any of them except for occasional creative purposes.
SkipD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #9
Lani Kai
"blissfully unaware"

You should remove the hood if you're using flash, though.
Lani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #10
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani Kai View Post
You should remove the hood if you're using flash, though.
This is true only if one is trying to use the camera's built-in flash. A Speedlite will be high enough to clear any lens hood in the Canon line, and the original poster has a 430EX.
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #11
jr_senator
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
You can forget the UV filter under most conditions. The only time that it might make any sense at all to use one is if you are shooting at the beach with blowing sand and/or salty sea spray.

Make sure you always use the lens hood - whenever the lens is on the camera. It will not only provide protection against stray light, but will provide a tremendous amount of physical protection as well. There are many threads in this forum describing this.

Many of my lenses go into the camera case with their hoods in a ready-to-use position. Those with hoods long enough to keep other things in the case from contacting the front element of the lens don't even get a cap put on them when in the case. Those lenses with very wide hoods (such as my 16-35L) get a cap put on them without removing the hood. Those lenses that are too long to go in the case with the hood in a ready-to-use position (such as my 70-200 f/2.8L IS) get the hood mounted in reverse with a cap mounted when stored in the case.

Use proper cleaning procedures for your lenses - the goal of which is to NEVER grind any dirt into the lens - and you will have no problem with scratches. None of my 40-year-old (and well used) lenses have any scratches, and I have never had a filter on any of them except for occasional creative purposes.
Damn fine advice, I would just add...don't use the collapsible, rubber hoods. They don't properly protect a lens.
jr_senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #12
PetKal
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi20100 View Post
Not likely as long as you:
(1) Take the lens mount cap off before attempting to couple the lens onto your camera body.
(2) Remove the lens dust cup just before depressing the shutter.
PetKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #13
Anders Östberg
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carzee View Post
Firstly, in studio you don't want any of them.
I would disagree with that, you can get flare indoors just as easily as from the sun, not least in the studio with strobes or strong lights. Use a hood at all times...
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #14
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_senator View Post
Damn fine advice, I would just add...don't use the collapsible, rubber hoods. They don't properly protect a lens.
You are absolutely right about the caution against using the collapsible rubber hoods. I should have included that in my other post. One should only use properly designed (for the particular lens/body combination) rigid lens hoods for the best results.

Most collapsible rubber lens hoods don't provide the proper shielding from stray light and for sure don't provide the same level of mechanical protection from everyday knocking around or crashing to a hard surface.

I can attest to the level of protection that a properly designed rigid (metal in this particular case) hood can provide against a major crash (a 4-foot drop to concrete, lens-first). That happened 38 years ago, and the lens and body are still in good shape without repair work being required. I did replace the hood for aesthetic reasons, though.
Old 22nd of October 2006 (Sun)   #15
jr_senator
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
I did replace the hood for aesthetic reasons, though.
Hay, if one can afford to be vain...
jr_senator is offline   Reply With Quote