Thread started 30 Oct 2006 (Monday) 14:13   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
3,802 posts
London
[MORE/SHARE]

Have anyone noticed how, when you autofocus on a particular point in the frame, if you repeatedly press the shutter button half way, the focus will jump around ever so slightly backwards and forwards? Even if you keep the camera still.

The lens is therefore unsure as to the distance to focus on and it follows that the image is unlikely to be correclty focused.

This may explain how, when I take two shots of the same image, one is better focused than the other.

Post #1, Oct 30, 2006 14:13:38

Photos from Icelandexternal link | Lake Districtexternal link | Isle of Lewisexternal link | Japanexternal link | Macrosexternal link
Canon EOS 40D | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,170 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Remember, the AF sensor area's actually somewhat larger than the area delimited on your screen. It's quite possible for the AF point you use at any given time to be picking up something outside the area you were expecting. AlsoAF isn't designed to nail the exact same spot every time; it's considered within spec if it's within somthinge like 1/3 the DoF when focussed.

Post #2, Oct 30, 2006 14:17:26

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

curiousgeorge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
3,802 posts
London
[MORE/SHARE]

It happens when the entire frame is in the same focal plane though, eg the cover of a book.

I wouldn't expect it to vary at all in this situation.

Post #3, Oct 30, 2006 14:37:56

Photos from Icelandexternal link | Lake Districtexternal link | Isle of Lewisexternal link | Japanexternal link | Macrosexternal link
Canon EOS 40D | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
13,431 posts
Portage, Wisconsin USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Are you swaying back and forth?

Post #4, Oct 30, 2006 14:39:08

GEAR LIST

philbyuk
Joined Nov 2005
753 posts
manchester uk
[MORE/SHARE]

maybe its just rechecking the focus !!!

Post #5, Oct 30, 2006 14:43:43

My Gear

My Galleryexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,170 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

curiousgeorge wrote in post #2191361external link
It happens when the entire frame is in the same focal plane though, eg the cover of a book.

I wouldn't expect it to vary at all in this situation.

Read point 2 of my post. Also, your subject needs to be sufficiently high contrast for it to get a good read. The lower the contrast, the more likely you'll have variations. Also the smaller the aperture.

Post #6, Oct 30, 2006 14:52:03

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

curiousgeorge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
3,802 posts
London
[MORE/SHARE]

OK, so it's normal behaviour, but in real life shots this happens every time and it's frustrating when you don't know when it has the best focus reading.
I thought someone else would have noticed it.
I would use MF if I could rely on my eyesight.

Post #7, Oct 30, 2006 16:15:29 as a reply to Jon's post 1 hour earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
862 views & 0 likes for this thread
Focus variations
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES