Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How frequently do you shoot RAW
90%-100% of the time I shoot Raw 46 59.74%
50%-90% 11 14.29%
10%-50% 10 12.99%
Never, or very infrequently 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th of January 2004 (Sat)   #61
iwatkins

Hi All,

I've been playing/using the PS CS RAW converter for a while now.

Do note that "Camera Default" as supplied isn't set up in the best way, IMHO. Also note that it is possible to "Set" the Camera Default settings.

I.e. set up some default settings you like and the "Set" them as the camera default. Next image in will use these new default settings.

Even so, I think I must deviate from the default settings for every one in three images I convert from RAW.

Another note, do as much work as you can possibly do within the RAW converter before bringing in to PS, it certainly helps with the quality of the end result.

Another note, don't just adjust exposure, saturation etc. but also use the luminance smoothing etc. settings to get the best result you can get to before importing.

Cheers

Ian (who is very happy with the PS CS RAW converter, *now* I've found my way about)
iwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of January 2004 (Sat)   #62
PacAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwatkins
Another note, do as much work as you can possibly do within the RAW converter before bringing in to PS, it certainly helps with the quality of the end result.

Another note, don't just adjust exposure, saturation etc. but also use the luminance smoothing etc. settings to get the best result you can get to before importing.
That's a very good suggestion, Ian. Ever since I started doing RAW conversions with PSCS, I have been using the sliders in the Adjust tab prior to conversion and then fine tuning, when necessary, in PS proper. However, I have yet to use the Luminance Smoothing control in the Details tab since I couldn't discern any changes in the preview window when I moved the slider. Can you tell me exactly what the Luminance Smoothing control does and when or how would I apply it?

Thanks.
Old 24th of January 2004 (Sat)   #63
Tom W
Canon Fanosapien

OK, I shot my first RAW today! My first impression is that those files are HUGE!

I've got a long way to go with processing, but I did play a little with the FVU. Since I have PS Elements, I don't believe that I have any other choice besides FVU. Anyway, I do like the ability to make adjustments on the semi-accurate monitor before I squeeze my pictures down into JPEGs. I'm especially interested in the ability to manipulate color temperature/white balance. If my S-400 is any indication, the camera will sometimes choose the wrong white balance in AWB mode.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #64
iwatkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacAce
However, I have yet to use the Luminance Smoothing control in the Details tab since I couldn't discern any changes in the preview window when I moved the slider. Can you tell me exactly what the Luminance Smoothing control does and when or how would I apply it?

Thanks.
Hi leo,

I don't know the real answer to be honest.

But basically, on that tab you have Sharpness, Luminance Smoothing (grayscale noise) and Color Noise Reduction (colour noise).

When you increase Sharpness (or take their 25 default) you are introducing noise in the process. You might not see the noise at "Fit in View" preview or even if you zoom into 100%. But if you zoom in to 400% you can usually see an increase in noise due to the increase in Sharpness (see some example screen shots below).

I tend to have the following settings as Camera Default:

Sharpness = 30
Luminance Smoothing = 30
Color Noise Reduction = 0

Increasing sharpness tends to increase the amount of Luminance Smoothing I need to bring the noise back under control. High ISO shots tend to need more Color Noise Reduction to bring that back under control.

Of course, it is a balancing act. The more you luminance smooth/color noise reduce the more detail you lose.

My workflow goes as so:

Load up the image. Once I've adjusted my exposure, brightnes etc. I move onto the detail tab. In here I'll zoom the image to 100% and centre on the most important part of the image. If 30 for Sharpness isn't enough I'll bump it up a bit more. Once happy with the sharpness, I'll then zoom in to 400% to check for noise. I'll then dial in Luminance Smoothing to taste and at the same time use the Color Noise Reduction for colour noise.

Zoom back out to "Fit To View" and once happy will then apply and bring in to PS proper. Once there it is usally just cropping/resizing etc.

Cheers

Ian

400% Screen Shot - Sharpening Only

400% Screen Shot - Sharpening and Luminance Smoothing

iwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #65
PacAce

Thanks, Ian. That was very informative. I tried it out and it worked great. I was able to see exactly what you were talking about regarding the ISO noises (both the color noise and the non-color...sort of like a whitish, blotchy...noise).

Thanks again for the info.
Old 15th of February 2004 (Sun)   #66
Joytek

Default I always shoot RAW....

I couldn't imagine not doing so. Jpeg is only used when the image is finalized and about to be displayed on a monitor. For prints I use tiff.

Anyone using their d-slr just for jpegs is missing the point of having all that recording quality and all those post processing options (IMO).

w.
Joytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of February 2004 (Sun)   #67
Katie Piecrust

Can't vote anymore it seems, but if I could I would have selected "90%-100% of the time I shoot Raw". I only shoot RAW these days. I used to shoot JPG as well, but all it took was one bad experience and a bit of home testing to decide RAW was the way to go for me. I do believe there is a place for both though. However I akin people who shoot only JPG to folks who like to run around in lightning storms, confident they'll never be struck.
Katie Piecrust is offline   Reply With Quote