FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 01 Nov 2006 (Wednesday) 13:52   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

snavlee
Joined Feb 2006
55 posts
South Central Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

I have an opportunity to begin doing some freelance sports shooting on the side. My only camera body is the original digital rebel (aka 300D). My fastest lens is a 60mm 2.8, so I'm figuring on buying the 85 1.8. I'm approaching the winter sports season and I'll mostly have the chance to photograph wrestling and basketball. Is the 85 1.8 a good lens for bball and wrestling? Could I get away with a 2.8 aperture indoors or will I benefit greatly from the 1.8 or faster? Lastly, will the 300 D suffice or is a 30 D in my near future? As the spring roles around I would then be looking to pick up a 70-200 2.8
Any input from sports shooters would be great. Thank you.

steve

Post #1, Nov 01, 2006 13:52:26

30D
EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS, EF 50 1.4
EF-S 60 2.8 macro, EF 70-200 2.8 L
580 EX

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
Joined Nov 2005
7,354 posts
Islamorada, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

the 85 1.8 is a simply great indoor sports lens, one of the best. you would benifit from the 30D aswell, if for no other reason than better noise contol with high ISOs indoors.

Post #2, Nov 01, 2006 13:55:03

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Galleryexternal linkMy Gear
what the L. just go for it.

aaronmiller3
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2006
18 posts
OHIO
[MORE/SHARE]

My buddy is using the 300 in sports photography now. He is shooting basketball and volleyball in standard high school gymnasium. The two lens' he uses is a 50mm 1.8 and a 70-200 2.8 (which is actually mine). With the two he produces outstanding shots. He does speak of wanting to get an 85mm at some point which would be a little more flexible than the 50mm so he doesn't have to be right on top of them. 2.8 should suffice in most conditions in the gym's that i have experienced, but if you shoot in RAW you have more flexibilities in your white balance. I'm new here, but hope this helps.

Post #3, Nov 01, 2006 14:29:04 as a reply to Billginthekeys's post 34 minutes earlier.

snavlee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2006
55 posts
South Central Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

I appreciate the info so far, thank you very much. Anyone else have any input / experience on using the 300D?
How about using the 70-200 f2.8 vs. a faster prime? could I get away with using a 2.8 in gymnasiums?

Post #4, Nov 01, 2006 15:48:00 as a reply to aaronmiller3's post 1 hour earlier.

30D
EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS, EF 50 1.4
EF-S 60 2.8 macro, EF 70-200 2.8 L
580 EX

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
Joined Nov 2005
7,354 posts
Islamorada, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

2.8 is the minimum i would feel comfortable with in most gyms. at 2.8 and 1600 you should be able to cope with some pretty poor conditions. which is where the advantage of less noise on the 20D/30D would come in.

Post #5, Nov 01, 2006 15:53:06

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Galleryexternal linkMy Gear
what the L. just go for it.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
MazerRakhm
Colonel Mustard
Joined May 2004
2,277 posts
Near Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

I started shooting sport with the 300D.

Shortly after, I picked up the 70-200 2.8L which made a huge difference. My biggest problem with the 300D was the lack of AI focus when not in the "Sport" mode, and the lack of ISO control in the sport mode.

There are 2 ways to get around this:
1 - Install one of the firmware hacks. I never did, but when the 300D was more popular I saw many that did sucessfully.

2 - If you zoom in or out after focusing with the shutter depressed the camera will drop into AI focus. I could only get this to work occasionally.

I think you might be able to get away with the 2.8 in a well lit gym, but some of the darker ones you'll like the 85 1.8 a lot better. With th e2.8 you might need to under expose by a stop or so for more shutter speed.

Post #6, Nov 02, 2006 09:34:56

Thanks for looking!
-Kevin
Monkeys are the key to the universe. Since I couldn't find an Oompa Loompa, I am employing monkeys to porter my equipment and be my assistants.
Pearls of Wisdom...
Now remember Ralphie, if you're nose bleeds; you're either picking it too much or not enough. - Chief Wiggam
30D, Kit lens, 70-200 f2.8L, Nifty 50, 16-35 f2.8L
***ksmith.smugmug.comexternal link *** LiveJournal Blogexternal link***SportsShooter Member***

IndyJeff
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,892 posts
Indianapolis, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

The problem you will find shooting at a wide open apt setting is you will be getting a lot of soft shots. I don't think the 300 will focus fast enough to get sharp action wide open. Yeah it looks neat when the main player is in focus and everything behind him/her is blurred but, fast moving action sports is gonna be real hard to do with a 300, no matter what lens you have if your wide open.

If your shooting high school sports you most likely will be able to use a hot shoe mount flash. Advantages of using the flash is you can get away from cycling lights found in a lot of gyms. White balance isn't as much an issue since the flash is the dominate light. All these shots you see from the NBA, NCAA are shot with flash. It isn't camera mounted but remotes mounted in the catwalks and rafters. Without the use of flash you wouldn't see nearly the amount of sharp images from high level sports.

Post #7, Nov 02, 2006 13:01:32 as a reply to MazerRakhm's post 3 hours earlier.

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sports Photography- Need Advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES