Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #1
maderito

Default How to use DVD for working storage and archiving images

I'm curious how folks are using DVD drives for image storage and archiving.

My thought was to a use DVD-RW as a hard drive backup for image files that I'm actively working on until I have enough image file data (that I want to archive) to burn a full DVD-R disc.

How are others using DVD in your workflow?

This is not a questions about DVD formats - unless there are strong opinions about NOT using DVD-R for archiving. My DVD drives supports all formats except DVD-RAM.
maderito is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #2
deztoys

I use the DVD to provide my backups. I'm using iView MediaPro (but other tools could be use). I make a backup of each catalog of files along woth the source files (iView does this for me automatically). This gets burned to a DVD and placed in the safe/storage for safe-keeping. So far, no problems. The only thing that is iView unique is the catalog file, all the rest are retained as their native formats (jpg etc).

Scott
deztoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #3
defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado

Format is not really an issue. Media is. Do not use cheap media. I recently purchase Adobe Album, but I have not done much with it yet. I'm sure it'll work fine and I'll report here after I've archived off some photos. I've read good reviews on it.

Like most everything else, pick what best suits your needs. I don't think I'll utilize RW's though as I keep my works in progress on the HD, though I guess I should do regular backups in case an HD bites the dust.

Oh man that would be ugly. /me needs to get busy and archive photos now! /logoff

An austere and pleasant poetry of the real. Ansel Adams
defordphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #4
PacAce

Default Re: How to use DVD for working storage and archiving images

Quote:
Originally Posted by maderito
I'm curious how folks are using DVD drives for image storage and archiving.

My thought was to a use DVD-RW as a hard drive backup for image files that I'm actively working on until I have enough image file data (that I want to archive) to burn a full DVD-R disc.

How are others using DVD in your workflow?

This is not a questions about DVD formats - unless there are strong opinions about NOT using DVD-R for archiving. My DVD drives supports all formats except DVD-RAM.
I do something similar but in the reverse order. What I do after uploading from CF card to PC is to burn a CD-R of everything that was just uploaded from the card. Every CD-R has a volume number that I keep track of. I also copy the files that were just copied to CD-R to a separate hard drive in a folder with the same name as the CD-R I just burned. When I get 4.7 GB worth of images that were burned to CD-Rs, I burn them to DVD-R. This serves as my archive copies while the copies in the CD-R are my backup copies. So, at any given point in time, I'll have 3 copies of the files and after they're archived to DVD-R, I'll have 4 copies. (Oops, correction...make that 5 copies after I run my regular backups. )

If there's going to be a long lag time between when the CD-R is burned and when the DVD-R is burned (like over several weeks), then I'll just burn a partially filled DVD-R just to get the files archived to DVD-R and then add on to it in the future when I get more images to archive.

I tried the DVD-R/W approach when I initially started but I gave up on it since I have many volumes of high capacity hard drives that space wasn't an issue, but if hard drive space is an issue, then the DVD-R/W approach is a very good one.
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #5
khkohl

Default Backup

PacAce,

It would seem like a goog idea if one of those 5 copies of the original images were offsite, in the event of a disaster. It's the protocol most business's should use for their stored data.

BR
khkohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2004 (Mon)   #6
chris.bailey
Goldmember

I store all of my pictures in Month folders i.e Pictures/2004/Jan2004. I keep a mirror of my data drive, using DataKeeper, onto a Firewire drive and onto another portable drive. I then archive monthly onto DVD and those copies are kept in my office. I therefore have four copies of everything, one of which is off site. If my house goes up in flames or the computer gets stolen, the most I will have lost is one months worth, sad, but not a disaster.
chris.bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2004 (Mon)   #7
chris.bailey
Goldmember

I store all of my pictures in Month folders i.e Pictures/2004/Jan2004. I keep a mirror of my data drive, using DataKeeper, onto a Firewire drive and onto another portable drive. I then archive monthly onto DVD and those copies are kept in my office. I therefore have four copies of everything, one of which is off site. If my house goes up in flames or the computer gets stolen, the most I will have lost is one months worth, sad, but not a disaster.
chris.bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2004 (Mon)   #8
PacAce

Default Re: Backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkohl
PacAce,

It would seem like a goog idea if one of those 5 copies of the original images were offsite, in the event of a disaster. It's the protocol most business's should use for their stored data.

BR
BR, thanks for your suggestion. Being in the IT business I am very aware of the importance of keeping off-site copies of important files. However, photography is just a hobby of mine so if a catastropic event were to occur where I could lose all my backup copies of my image files, I think I would have other more important things to worry about than my image files.

But your are absolutely right, if photography is your bread and butter, off-site backups is a must.

Cheers.
Old 26th of January 2004 (Mon)   #9
maderito

I see that this thread got a lot of "views" and only a few replies -- but thanks especially to PacAce and ChrisBailey for very helpful comments.

I'm going to use DVD-R/W for day-to-day backups for my work in progress and then burn a DVD-R (with quality media, Jim) for archiving. When I get around to replacing my current computer (which has a paltry 6GB fixed drive), I'll probably switch to using my current 120GB external hard drive for daily backups instead of DVD-R/W.

It depresses me to think about offsite backups. My life is stored on my computer. And like life, there are no easy answers.
maderito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2004 (Mon)   #10
Vegas Poboy

Two weeks ago I purchased the Plextor 708 External for backing up all of my images. The Flow that is working for me currnetly is as follows.

1. Unload CF card to a temp folder uder (My Pictures/ Temps & subject)

2. Delete all jpegs when shooting RAW and any pics that is not worth reproducing.

3. Copy that folder to a CD-RW or DVD+/- RW and now that is my original negitive for backup & safety.

4. After I edit my work I save to another folder under the proper heading & burn those files to CD or DVD media it all depends on large the files are.

So far the burner is excepting all brand name media & I use just about any decent CD brand when taking the prints into the printers.