Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #1
burkdog

Default Canon Digital Rebel Flash dealio

Can you use other nice flash attachments with this camera? I notice it has some kind of built-in pop-up flash. Will I be able to use other kinds of flashes with it, or not?

If I want to use different kinds of flashes, will I have to buy that 1500 dollar job?

Thanks,
Greg
burkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #2
PacAce

Default Re: Canon Digital Rebel Flash dealio

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkdog
Can you use other nice flash attachments with this camera? I notice it has some kind of built-in pop-up flash. Will I be able to use other kinds of flashes with it, or not?

If I want to use different kinds of flashes, will I have to buy that 1500 dollar job?

Thanks,
Greg
Yes, you can use an external flash with the DRebel. I'm not sure what you mean by "that 1500 dollar job" but other than the external flash, there's nothing else that you need to buy to use the external flash.
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #3
burkdog

1500 dollar job = this guy... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...768&is=REG

Thanks for the info.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #4
dn7elson

Quote:
1500 dollar job = this guy...
That's $1,500 for just the body. You will also want at least 1 lens.

The Digital Rebel takes the Canon 220EX, 420EX and 550EX external flashes.
dn7elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #5
ilya

You can't be seriously considering buying one or the other with apparently absolutely zero knowledge about any of this SLR business? Well, its one way to learn. Read some of the links stickied on this forum. Go on dpreview.com to see reviews of both cams. Good luck.
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #6
burkdog

Well, I've read some stuff, and I'm asking some questions here...

I know I want to buy a Canon digital professional level camera, and I can't afford that really expensive one, so I guess my choices are between the 800 dollar job, and the 1500 dollar job. It's a pretty narrow field, the way I see it.

And yes, duh, I'm aware I will also need some lenses (ya think?). I'm looking at the 1500 dollar job, by the way. lol

8)
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #7
CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales

Either 'job' will allow you to use an external flash. If you go for a Canon flash, get one of the 'EX' series jobs.
Check out www.canoneos.com and look at the EOS System Chart. It will show you what dealios you can use.
Hope this helps.

Have Fun
Rick 8)
CoolToolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #8
burkdog

I bet those flash dealios use a lot of juice? Can you get some kind of jumbo battery, or can you have a powersource just for the flash, or can you plug it into the wall or something

Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #9
CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales

I have the 550EX, and it uses 4 'AA' batteries. It supposedly makes pretty good use of them, but I have the Quantum 1/Compact. It replaces the batteries with a battery pack that attaches to the tripod socket and hooks up via a cable into the battery compartment. There are several other add-on battery options from Quantum, as well as some Canon battery packs that don't replace the batteries, just boost them.
Have Fun
Rick 8)
Old 25th of January 2004 (Sun)   #10
TeraGram93013

I have the 550ex.

I find it rather conservative on the power.

I'm using NiMH rechargeable batteries, purchased at Target or Costco.

Although I generally dislike using flash, I find myself in various situations where I have no choice (indoors, cloudy/marine layer day, fast moving children). The response time with the 500ex seems very fast.

It is nearly as complex as my camera, however.

If you buy a 10D and a 550ex, be prepared to do a lot of reading on your own.
TeraGram93013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2004 (Mon)   #11
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya
You can't be seriously considering buying one or the other with apparently absolutely zero knowledge about any of this SLR business? Well, its one way to learn.
The best lessons are learned the hard way.

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2004 (Mon)   #12
burkdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwgross
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya
You can't be seriously considering buying one or the other with apparently absolutely zero knowledge about any of this SLR business? Well, its one way to learn.
The best lessons are learned the hard way.

---Bob Gross---
So, you guys are recommending that I don't buy a camera? As if one is a big turd and the other one is a diamond, and since I'm not an expert yet I have only a 50/50 chance of guessing right and buying the right one? I guess it would be a hard lesson if that were the case and I guessed wrong. But I hardly think that is the case. I'm sure you guys like to imagine that it takes a photography genius to make an informed buying decision about a camera, but it doesn't.

I know almost everything I need to know, and I didn't have to go to the photography school of hard knocks to figure it out. I'm choosing a Canon based on word-of-mouth and past experiences with other low-end consumer Canon products. I know how much I can afford. That narrows the field down to 2 cameras. I"ve read a few posts on these forums, and will most likely read a review or two. And guess what? That's all it takes.

Hard lesson to be learned? I seriously doubt it. Worst case scenario? I decide I want a different camera and sell the old one. Ouch.
Old 26th of January 2004 (Mon)   #13
ilya

Quote:
So, you guys are recommending that I don't buy a camera? As if one is a big turd and the other one is a diamond, and since I'm not an expert yet I have only a 50/50 chance of guessing right and buying the right one? I guess it would be a hard lesson if that were the case and I guessed wrong. But I hardly think that is the case. I'm sure you guys like to imagine that it takes a photography genius to make an informed buying decision about a camera, but it doesn't.

I know almost everything I need to know, and I didn't have to go to the photography school of hard knocks to figure it out. I'm choosing a Canon based on word-of-mouth and past experiences with other low-end consumer Canon products. I know how much I can afford. That narrows the field down to 2 cameras. I"ve read a few posts on these forums, and will most likely read a review or two. And guess what? That's all it takes.

Hard lesson to be learned? I seriously doubt it. Worst case scenario? I decide I want a different camera and sell the old one. Ouch.

Hmm. No, it doesn't take a genius, but it does take at least a rudimentary level of knowledge about what you're getting, compared to what you intend to use it for. So how much can you really afford, did you know that the "starter kit" for either the 10D or 300D really will run you about $4-6k in the first 6 months to a year. That's if you want a half-way decent setup. Another question, maybe we're mistaken about your intentions, and you want to be a pro sports photographer. You'll need a better camera then a "1,500 dealio". How do you know you won't be happier with a good all-around cam like the Sony DSC F828, no need to change lenses, and it will do 95% of what a 10D will do? Did you know that a G3 point and shoot can take significantly better pictures then a 10D in almost any situation (given the right operator)? Whatever, its your coin bro. At the end of the day, both 300D and 10D are great cams.
Old 26th of January 2004 (Mon)   #14
CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales

Quote:

Some folks treat this like a marriage where if you make the wrong choice it can cost you big to get out. You don't seem to feel that way. Go for it. At the end of the day, it's just a camera. I like Canon, and I probably always will. But you're not a bad person if you choose something other than what I have. As mentioned elsewhere, sometimes folks have to learn by experience.

Have Fun
Rick 8)
Old 26th of January 2004 (Mon)   #15
scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop

Burkdog,
When you walk into a hornet's nest of avid photographers and start talking about "dealios" and "$1500 jobs", you have to expect a little sh*t.
Nobody minds when people of limited photographic knowledge ask questions. It helps however to demonstrate a little respect for the craft. In spite of the good natured humor that sometimes goes on, some people here actually take what they do seriously.
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography
scottbergerphoto is offline   Reply With Quote