Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of November 2006 (Wed)   #1
No.9580

Question Best Settings for shooting daytime/dusk portraits with 580EX & 20D W/O other lighting

What are the Best Settings for shooting daytime/dusk portraits with a 580EX & 20D without other studio style soft boxes or lighting on hand at the shoot location?

I like shooting at dusk to get the different colors of the sky / sun behind the model but do not like the results the 580ex flash places on the subjects face, iv tried everything i can think of from turning the flash wayyyyyyy down and a billion other settings changes to get a more uniform lite across the subject without having to tote around soft boxes or hot lights at these remote shoot locations, iv seen some peoples shots of similar locations and subjects that look great and am just wondering what settings you guys are using on the EX itself or EX / 20D both to capture your shots and the effect.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and im using a Tamron 28-75 2.8

Thanks ladies n gents
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #2
No.9580

Default Re: Best Settings for shooting daytime/dusk portraits with 580EX & 20D W/O other lighting

why is no one responding?
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #3
motion_projekt
Goldmember

Default Re: Best Settings for shooting daytime/dusk portraits with 580EX & 20D W/O other lighting

cause its thanksgiving.

happy gobble gobble everyone.

and to anwser your question...im to buzzed to really think about htea annwerser.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #4
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Probably everybody is out shopping the Black Friday specials

What you are attempting to do I've done many times over the years with film, but having just gotten into digital this year I have not done a whole lot of this yet. But borrowing from the old principals, here's what I think you can do.

I would probably first set ISO for 400 and then set my camera on Manual to give me the control I want. I'm guessing this would give you around 1/60 sec @ about f/5.6 or thereabouts, depending upon how late you are shooting. Normally I use a hand held meter, in incident mode (dome on the head) at the subjects position, and pointed at me. This shows how much ambient light is falling on the front of the subjects, not how much is being reflected from the them.

I use the 580 myself and would set that on ETTL Auto and fire away. It will then "attempt" to give you the fill light exposure it THINKS you want. This is where the fun begins. It may or may not do what you want, so you have to play around with the FEC controls on the flash, probably to reduce the output in the 1/3 stop increments in order to get the visual affect you want. Chimp a lot.

What the camera will read, lighting-wise, and the aesthetic you want, can be two entirely different things, depending upon how the camera's meter reads the ambient light. Good luck and have fun. - Stu
sapearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #5
naqs

You know not all of us are from the states... we here in New Zealand don't have "Thanks giving"
naqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2006 (Fri)   #6
Titus213
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Best Settings for shooting daytime/dusk portraits with 580EX & 20D W/O other ligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by naqs View Post
You know not all of us are from the states... we here in New Zealand don't have "Thanks giving"
So why don't you answer then?

Titus213 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2006 (Fri)   #7
Gaylord H

Default Re: Best Settings for shooting daytime/dusk portraits with 580EX & 20D W/O other ligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by naqs View Post
Whats New Zealand-- a new kinda meat for Thanksgiving?

www.studioyeahyeah.com
Gaylord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2006 (Fri)   #8
Curtis N
Master Flasher

One thing that will help with fill-flashed shots, especially during the few hours after sunrise and before sunset, is to use a gel on your flash to bring down the color temp of the light, getting it closer to the ambient light.

I had a lot of difficulty with my fill flash shots looking "fake" until I figured this out.
Here's a thread about it.
Curtis N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2006 (Fri)   #9
NickSimcheck
Sir Chimp-a-lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord H View Post
Whats New Zealand-- a new kinda meat for Thanksgiving?
I thought it was Cranberry Sauce?
Old 24th of November 2006 (Fri)   #10
naqs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus213 View Post
So why don't you answer then?
I wouldn't have a clue I'm interested to find out myself... lol
Old 24th of November 2006 (Fri)   #11
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Now there is that Cranberry tinted gel you could use - that would warm the photo towards the red end of the spectrum ....
sapearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2006 (Fri)   #12
WxGuesser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealand

so did new zealanders come from denmark?

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
WxGuesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2006 (Fri)   #13
naqs

No that would be the Old Zealand... this is the New Zealand, you know
Old 24th of November 2006 (Fri)   #14
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy

honestly, the best way I have found to do it is to set flash power manually.
Expose for the sky colour you want (usually underexposed 1-3 stops).
Then either by trial and error or using a light meter, find the optimal flash power.

For this type of shot, it looks way better to get your flash off the camera! Some people here have made extra long Off-Camera Shoe Cord extension cables so you can do this with minimal expense!
picturecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of November 2006 (Tue)   #15
No.9580

thanks everyone. i appreciate the response