Tips for shooting in stitch assist mode for newbie??

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 29 Jan 2004 (Thursday) 08:43   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Wheelman
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2004
8 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I was just wondering what are some good tips for shooting in stitch assist mode, just got my s400 around christmas.... :o

Post #1, Jan 29, 2004 08:43:02

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
mike ­ j
Joined Jun 2003
110 posts
Macclesfield, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

When shooting in 'panorama' mode, the most important tip is to use a tripod !

You can get away without one, but you get much better results if you use one. In my experience, the more photos you want to take in your panoramic, the more important it is to use a tripod.

ie. if you just want to join 2 or 3 photos, you might get away without it if you've got a steady hand. If you want a whole 360 degree panorama (usually somewhere around 14 photos) then you'll struggle without one. (Try it and you'll see what I mean !)

I love the panorama mode on my IXUS400 - it's not a feature you get on all makes of digicam.

Post #2, Jan 29, 2004 09:02:29

IXUS400 user

willy77nilly
Joined Dec 2003
37 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Don't forget you can take all your images in normal mode and stitch them using the Canon PhotoStitch software. The most important tip is alignment. Be sure each picture contains a portion (10-30%) of the previous picture (horizontally).

Post #3, Jan 29, 2004 09:48:37

mike ­ j
Joined Jun 2003
110 posts
Macclesfield, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

The 'stitch assist' mode (sorry - I thought it was called the 'panoramic' mode) shows a portion of your last shot, making it easier to see where to position your next shot and it also fixes the exposure, so that the photos stitch together more seamlessly.

If you take photos in the normal mode, you won't be able to see on the LCD where to take your next shot and the exposure will vary from shot to shot, giving an uneven appearance expecially if you have, for example, sky in the photos.

Why would you not want to use 'stitch assist' mode ?

Post #4, Jan 29, 2004 10:14:54

IXUS400 user

gsmx2
Joined Nov 2003
399 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

mike j wrote:
The 'stitch assist' mode (sorry - I thought it was called the 'panoramic' mode) shows a portion of your last shot, making it easier to see where to position your next shot and it also fixes the exposure, so that the photos stitch together more seamlessly.

If you take photos in the normal mode, you won't be able to see on the LCD where to take your next shot and the exposure will vary from shot to shot, giving an uneven appearance expecially if you have, for example, sky in the photos.

Why would you not want to use 'stitch assist' mode ?

Here is another reason to use "Stitch Assist" mode. In "Stitch Assist" the exposure is locked so it is the same for every shot. If you let the exposure change, especially when shooting shots that include the sky, the sky will show lines where the photos are stitched.

A reason NOT to use "Stitch Assist". Holding the camera in front of you looking into the LCD is a very unstable way to hold a camera. It's much more stable held with bent arms looking through the viewfinder. So if you are going to shoot photos that way, either use "Stitch Assist"., but look through the view finder, or (the better way) is to switch to MANUAL MODE, get a reading of the exposures through the range of shots, and set the exposure to a compromise exposure.

Good luck,

gsm x2

Post #5, Jan 29, 2004 21:38:14

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
gsmx2
Joined Nov 2003
399 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's some examples of good stitched photos. (not mine)

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=24173

gsm x2

Post #6, Jan 30, 2004 02:27:03

LIST NEARBY THREADS
10,427 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tips for shooting in stitch assist mode for newbie??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES