canon photo paper pro 4x6 borderless perforated

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 30 Jan 2004 (Friday) 09:20   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

RJCONKLIN
Joined Oct 2003
105 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

this paper seems to only work with a jpeg file in canon easy- photo print. if i use ps cs and a tiff file i am not able to align the picture correctly to print within the boundaries of the perforated sheets because there is no setup for perforated paper. is there a fix? i am using a canon i9100 printer. thank you.

Post #1, Jan 30, 2004 09:20:27

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TeraGram93013
Joined Jan 2004
139 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The solution that occurs to me off the top of my head is thus:

1. Measure the dimensions of the paper (or glean them from the package!)

2. Measure the distance between the edge of the paper and the perforations (or do the math!)

3. Create a canvas in Photoshop with the actual dimensions of the whole paper.

4. Place your 4x6 on the canvas, ensuring the whitespace all about is equivalent to the margins you discovered in step 2.

5. Print using a custom paper size.

It occurs to me as I type this out that maybe you want the image a touch bigger than 4x6 so that it bleeds over the perfs.

Post #2, Jan 30, 2004 10:47:59

RJCONKLIN
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2003
105 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i tried that, it does not work. thanks anyway. you would think since canon sell 4x6 pro paper only preforated there would be a way to print tiff files on it. it's a waste but for now i will have to tear 4 sides off the paper.

Post #3, Jan 30, 2004 13:41:10

TeraGram93013
Joined Jan 2004
139 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I tell you what, I will attempt to do this tomorrow and I will detail the exact steps I take.

FWIW I have a Canon S600 and two sheets of this lovely paper left.

I've been trying to find it locally and I can not! Very frustrating.

Maybe someone else will come up with an answer for you before that. I hope so. Ye Gods but my plate is full this weekend!

Post #4, Jan 30, 2004 14:48:59

dn7elson
Joined Apr 2002
819 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

RJCONKLIN wrote:
this paper seems to only work with a jpeg file in canon easy- photo print. if i use ps cs and a tiff file i am not able to align the picture correctly to print within the boundaries of the perforated sheets because there is no setup for perforated paper. is there a fix? i am using a canon i9100 printer. thank you.

The i9000 prints true borderless prints. Why use the perforated paper that is intended for printers that don't do true borderless?

Easy PhotoPrint only displays thumbnails of JPEG files, so this is what you can sellect.

In photoshop (or most other programs for that matter) make sure that you have setup the i9000 before trying to print. This includes checking the "borderless printing" check box in the Printer Properties, Setup tab. I usually reduce the "overspray" from maximum to 1 notch from minimum so as to minimize the amount of ink sprayed into the printer vs. on the paper while still providing the full borderless printing. I just printed a true 4x6 borderless (no perfs and actually 4x6 size) print of a RAW file with canvas resized to 4x6 300dpi from Photoshop CS and it came out as expected...beautiful and borderless :lol:

To use your oversized, perforated paper, you will need to setup a custom paper size in Photoshop, set to the actual size of the paper, including perf area. Then set a border smaller than the distance from page edge to perf and do NOT check the borderless print box, as you will not be borderless printing with the perf paper.

In the future, get the true sized paper and print true borderless. The paper is usually a bit cheaper and it is much easier with better results (no perf fuzzies).

Post #5, Jan 30, 2004 16:23:48

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
RJCONKLIN
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2003
105 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i have never seen canon pro paper that was not perforated in the 4x6 size.

Post #6, Jan 31, 2004 06:58:55

maderito
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,336 posts
Southern New England
[MORE/SHARE]

RJCONKLIN wrote:
i have never seen canon pro paper that was not perforated in the 4x6 size.

There are 2 Canon 4 X 6 products:

1. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ails&Q=&sku=233631&​is=REGexternal link (perforated edges)

2. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ails&Q=&sku=254433&​is=REGexternal link (for "edge to edge" printing)

I've never used the newer version (#2). If you have #1, then you have to follow the instructions on the package insert carefully which gives precise instructions for setting image size (4.31 X 6.31 inches) and custom paper size in the printer driver (4.67 X 8.5 inches). You can save these settings, but I found the effort exhausting!

I use my printer for large prints. It's cheaper to print 4 x 6 at my local printing service ($0.29 to $0.39 per print - depending on which service I use).

Post #7, Jan 31, 2004 08:22:42

Woody Lee
http://pbase.com/mader​itoexternal link
http://maderito.fotki.​comexternal link

Conk
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2002
3,368 posts
Cloverdale B.C.
[MORE/SHARE]

I use Epson's 4x6 perforated photo paper and use Irfanview when printing. Irfanview's interface is excellent for choosing size related to paper used. I have absolutely no problems.
Give it a try. Irfanview is a free image program.

BTW, great name you are sporting there. Conk is short for Conklin. Just a nickname though. :mrgreen:

Post #8, Jan 31, 2004 10:57:55

Cloverdale Photographyexternal link
Photosexternal link
More Photosexternal link

RJCONKLIN
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2003
105 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

dear conk: could you please tell me where to find irfanview on the net to download. thank you.

Post #9, Jan 31, 2004 19:29:58

maderito
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,336 posts
Southern New England
[MORE/SHARE]

Would you believe: http://www.irfanview.c​om/external link

Freeware; indispensable!

Post #10, Jan 31, 2004 21:18:28

Woody Lee
http://pbase.com/mader​itoexternal link
http://maderito.fotki.​comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,053 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon photo paper pro 4x6 borderless perforated
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES