Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of January 2004 (Fri)   #1
RJCONKLIN

Default canon photo paper pro 4x6 borderless perforated

this paper seems to only work with a jpeg file in canon easy- photo print. if i use ps cs and a tiff file i am not able to align the picture correctly to print within the boundaries of the perforated sheets because there is no setup for perforated paper. is there a fix? i am using a canon i9100 printer. thank you.
RJCONKLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of January 2004 (Fri)   #2
TeraGram93013

The solution that occurs to me off the top of my head is thus:

1. Measure the dimensions of the paper (or glean them from the package!)

2. Measure the distance between the edge of the paper and the perforations (or do the math!)

3. Create a canvas in Photoshop with the actual dimensions of the whole paper.

4. Place your 4x6 on the canvas, ensuring the whitespace all about is equivalent to the margins you discovered in step 2.

5. Print using a custom paper size.

It occurs to me as I type this out that maybe you want the image a touch bigger than 4x6 so that it bleeds over the perfs.
TeraGram93013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2004 (Fri)   #3
RJCONKLIN

i tried that, it does not work. thanks anyway. you would think since canon sell 4x6 pro paper only preforated there would be a way to print tiff files on it. it's a waste but for now i will have to tear 4 sides off the paper.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of January 2004 (Fri)   #4
TeraGram93013

I tell you what, I will attempt to do this tomorrow and I will detail the exact steps I take.

FWIW I have a Canon S600 and two sheets of this lovely paper left.

I've been trying to find it locally and I can not! Very frustrating.

Maybe someone else will come up with an answer for you before that. I hope so. Ye Gods but my plate is full this weekend!
TeraGram93013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2004 (Fri)   #5
dn7elson

Default Re: canon photo paper pro 4x6 borderless perforated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCONKLIN
this paper seems to only work with a jpeg file in canon easy- photo print. if i use ps cs and a tiff file i am not able to align the picture correctly to print within the boundaries of the perforated sheets because there is no setup for perforated paper. is there a fix? i am using a canon i9100 printer. thank you.
The i9000 prints true borderless prints. Why use the perforated paper that is intended for printers that don't do true borderless?

Easy PhotoPrint only displays thumbnails of JPEG files, so this is what you can sellect.

In photoshop (or most other programs for that matter) make sure that you have setup the i9000 before trying to print. This includes checking the "borderless printing" check box in the Printer Properties, Setup tab. I usually reduce the "overspray" from maximum to 1 notch from minimum so as to minimize the amount of ink sprayed into the printer vs. on the paper while still providing the full borderless printing. I just printed a true 4x6 borderless (no perfs and actually 4x6 size) print of a RAW file with canvas resized to 4x6 300dpi from Photoshop CS and it came out as expected...beautiful and borderless

To use your oversized, perforated paper, you will need to setup a custom paper size in Photoshop, set to the actual size of the paper, including perf area. Then set a border smaller than the distance from page edge to perf and do NOT check the borderless print box, as you will not be borderless printing with the perf paper.

In the future, get the true sized paper and print true borderless. The paper is usually a bit cheaper and it is much easier with better results (no perf fuzzies).
dn7elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2004 (Sat)   #6
RJCONKLIN

i have never seen canon pro paper that was not perforated in the 4x6 size.
Old 31st of January 2004 (Sat)   #7
maderito

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCONKLIN
i have never seen canon pro paper that was not perforated in the 4x6 size.
There are 2 Canon 4 X 6 products:

1. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...631&is=REG (perforated edges)

2. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...433&is=REG (for "edge to edge" printing)

I've never used the newer version (#2). If you have #1, then you have to follow the instructions on the package insert carefully which gives precise instructions for setting image size (4.31 X 6.31 inches) and custom paper size in the printer driver (4.67 X 8.5 inches). You can save these settings, but I found the effort exhausting!

I use my printer for large prints. It's cheaper to print 4 x 6 at my local printing service ($0.29 to $0.39 per print - depending on which service I use).
maderito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2004 (Sat)   #8
Conk
Goldmember

I use Epson's 4x6 perforated photo paper and use Irfanview when printing. Irfanview's interface is excellent for choosing size related to paper used. I have absolutely no problems.
Give it a try. Irfanview is a free image program.

BTW, great name you are sporting there. Conk is short for Conklin. Just a nickname though.
Conk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2004 (Sat)   #9
RJCONKLIN

dear conk: could you please tell me where to find irfanview on the net to download. thank you.
Old 31st of January 2004 (Sat)   #10
maderito

Would you believe: http://www.irfanview.com/

Freeware; indispensable!
maderito is offline   Reply With Quote