FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Jan 2004 (Friday) 20:18   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

cloudless
Joined Dec 2003
137 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

My G3 stopped working all the sudden yesterday. When I turn on the camera the lens refuses to extend, a few seconds later the camera turns itself off. Has anyone else here heard or experienced the same problem? I always keep my lens adapter tube and UV filter on, I have no idea how I could have damaged the lens.

I feel so empty without my G3!

Post #1, Jan 30, 2004 20:18:40

my photoblog:
http://cloudless.netexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
jnjdad
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2003
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

sounds like battery is dead

Post #2, Jan 30, 2004 20:53:56

cloudless
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2003
137 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

Nope the battery is alright. I can use the camera in playback mode, and I have tried using another battery too. Before it turns itself off, I see the "LENS" error message displayed on the top LCD display.

Post #3, Jan 30, 2004 21:10:55

my photoblog:

Riccardo
Joined Jan 2004
91 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

It is obvious, but be sure that the lens is not obstructed, and that there is no obvious physical damage to any part of the camera.
Look at it with a magnifying glass.
Ciao

Post #4, Jan 31, 2004 04:41:12

CRCs ­ Reality
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jan 2004
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I dropped my G3 from about 3 feet, with the lens adapter tube on (a few months ago), and this is exactly how mine acted upon powering it up.
The threads the lens rotates out on had become jammed, and I couldn't un-jam them. I ended up sending it in to Canon for repair, and $160 later I had it back and as good as new (they even replaced the LCD while it was there).
I hope this isn't the fate of yours, but if it is, at least the problem can be fixed.

Post #5, Jan 31, 2004 10:47:00

sponsored links
cloudless
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2003
137 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

I am going to take my G3 to Canon for repair too tomorrow. It is still under the warrantee period, so hopefully I won't have to pay for the repair. I never dropped my camera hit it against any hard surface, so I really don't understand how it is damaged.

Post #6, Feb 01, 2004 01:18:39

my photoblog:

submannz
Joined Sep 2003
116 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Most likely one of those freek manufacturing faults in the lense barrel.

Post #7, Feb 01, 2004 19:05:08

JonK
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2004
2,161 posts
PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thats no good

Post #8, Feb 01, 2004 20:59:18

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.comexternal link

cloudless
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2003
137 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

Looks like I am not alone... I wonder if it is a common problem for the G-series cameras. Anyway, I will post an update when I get my G3 back from Canon.

Post #9, Feb 01, 2004 23:44:50

my photoblog:

John_T
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
2,737 posts
Switzerland
[MORE/SHARE]

I have two G5s and have had no problems with either. The lens protraction and autofocus mechanisms are robust enough for most handling, but they are fine mechanics. Could be you inadvertantly did something you were unaware of during handling that got the mechanism out of whack, but it could also be a production fault.

You could very gently try to help the mechanism ratchet back in while turning the camera on. Take the lens cover off and gently grip the outer lens edge with your finger nails, pulling, twisting and rocking back and forth. It could also be that it is not the mechanics, but someting further inside in the electronics or motor.

I had something similar with a G2, don't know what the cause was, but after playing with it a bit it started working fine again and I never had another problem with it.

If gentle coaxing doesn't do anything, definitely bring it to Canon.

Post #10, Feb 02, 2004 01:36:24

Canon : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

KRDV
Joined Oct 2002
94 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

cloudless wrote:
My G3 stopped working all the sudden yesterday. When I turn on the camera the lens refuses to extend, a few seconds later the camera turns itself off. Has anyone else here heard or experienced the same problem? I always keep my lens adapter tube and UV filter on, I have no idea how I could have damaged the lens.

I feel so empty without my G3!

Several months ago, I had (still have) the same problem with my G3. My lens was stuck completely and was giving me the lens error with several "beeps" then would shut down. I couldn't get the camera to work at all. I sent mine it to Canon warranty repair and they fixed it (pretty much) and turnaround time was excellent. Over the last two months I have had it back, three times I have had the same problem (lens error, beeps, shutdown) but I have switched it off several times and then magically it had worked OK. Then it may go several weeks without any hint of the problem. I am at the end of my warranty coverage. I think I am going to send it back b/c even now that it's rarely happening, it may become more of an issue in the future after the warranty expires.

Cloudless, I also responded to your post on DPReview where I had a similar post from a few months ago.
http://forums.dpreview​.com ...orum=1010&message=6​481122external link (hope that link works.)

Post #11, Feb 02, 2004 08:09:45

sponsored links
mookiemeister
Joined Jan 2004
109 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

All this talk about defective lens on Canon G series makes me a bit apprehensive about my G3. For those people who have problems with their lens, do you use lens cap? I use lens cap and I don't manually remove lens cap. Instead I let the lens push the lens cap out when I turn on the camera. I'm not sure if this could cause problem with the motor not having enough juice to push the lens cap so eventually lens gets stuck. Anyone have thought on this?

Post #12, Feb 02, 2004 08:59:28

KRDV
Joined Oct 2002
94 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

mookie,

I wouldn't let this worry you too much. When it happened to me, I searched for threads on various sites and couldn't really find anything so it's NOT a common problem (IMO).

Second, after my warranty repair, the problem is so infrequent, it wouldn't be a major issue with me unless it gets worse as time goes on. Because I am still under warranty, I am sending it in. My guess is that many other cameras would have similar issues and overall, I think the G3/G3 is quite durable. That is consistent with what I have read.

Note: With the exception of probably 10 times, I always take the cap off manually so I don't think that the lens cap has any relation to it.

Post #13, Feb 02, 2004 12:36:09

CRCs ­ Reality
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jan 2004
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Mookie, I can't speak for others, but in my case it was definitely my own fault.
Really, it took a heck of a fall, I was surprised more wasn't broken. :)
Now, every time I put my camera down, I'm very careful (and a little slow-motion movie of the G3 tumbling off the counter replays in my head.. noooooo.....).

Post #14, Feb 02, 2004 16:39:24

submannz
Joined Sep 2003
116 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Noooo, it is not at all a common problem this failure that was originally mentioned must have been a freek manufacturing fault.

As for the other ones mentioned was mainly due to a drop or hit to the camera, which would almost be expected from any camera

Post #15, Feb 02, 2004 17:43:33

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
G3 Lens Stuck! Please help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES