Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of January 2004 (Fri)   #1
cloudless

Default G3 Lens Stuck! Please help

My G3 stopped working all the sudden yesterday. When I turn on the camera the lens refuses to extend, a few seconds later the camera turns itself off. Has anyone else here heard or experienced the same problem? I always keep my lens adapter tube and UV filter on, I have no idea how I could have damaged the lens.

I feel so empty without my G3!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of January 2004 (Fri)   #2
jnjdad

sounds like battery is dead
jnjdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2004 (Fri)   #3
cloudless

Nope the battery is alright. I can use the camera in playback mode, and I have tried using another battery too. Before it turns itself off, I see the "LENS" error message displayed on the top LCD display.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of January 2004 (Sat)   #4
Riccardo

It is obvious, but be sure that the lens is not obstructed, and that there is no obvious physical damage to any part of the camera.
Look at it with a magnifying glass.
Ciao
Riccardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2004 (Sat)   #5
CRCs Reality

I dropped my G3 from about 3 feet, with the lens adapter tube on (a few months ago), and this is exactly how mine acted upon powering it up.
The threads the lens rotates out on had become jammed, and I couldn't un-jam them. I ended up sending it in to Canon for repair, and $160 later I had it back and as good as new (they even replaced the LCD while it was there).
I hope this isn't the fate of yours, but if it is, at least the problem can be fixed.
CRCs Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of February 2004 (Sun)   #6
cloudless

I am going to take my G3 to Canon for repair too tomorrow. It is still under the warrantee period, so hopefully I won't have to pay for the repair. I never dropped my camera hit it against any hard surface, so I really don't understand how it is damaged.
Old 1st of February 2004 (Sun)   #7
submannz

Most likely one of those freek manufacturing faults in the lense barrel.
submannz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of February 2004 (Sun)   #8
JonK
Goldmember

Thats no good
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of February 2004 (Sun)   #9
cloudless

Looks like I am not alone... I wonder if it is a common problem for the G-series cameras. Anyway, I will post an update when I get my G3 back from Canon.
Old 2nd of February 2004 (Mon)   #10
John_T
Goldmember

I have two G5s and have had no problems with either. The lens protraction and autofocus mechanisms are robust enough for most handling, but they are fine mechanics. Could be you inadvertantly did something you were unaware of during handling that got the mechanism out of whack, but it could also be a production fault.

You could very gently try to help the mechanism ratchet back in while turning the camera on. Take the lens cover off and gently grip the outer lens edge with your finger nails, pulling, twisting and rocking back and forth. It could also be that it is not the mechanics, but someting further inside in the electronics or motor.

I had something similar with a G2, don't know what the cause was, but after playing with it a bit it started working fine again and I never had another problem with it.

If gentle coaxing doesn't do anything, definitely bring it to Canon.
Canon : 5DIII : 7D : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2004 (Mon)   #11
KRDV

Default Re: G3 Lens Stuck! Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudless
My G3 stopped working all the sudden yesterday. When I turn on the camera the lens refuses to extend, a few seconds later the camera turns itself off. Has anyone else here heard or experienced the same problem? I always keep my lens adapter tube and UV filter on, I have no idea how I could have damaged the lens.

I feel so empty without my G3!
Several months ago, I had (still have) the same problem with my G3. My lens was stuck completely and was giving me the lens error with several "beeps" then would shut down. I couldn't get the camera to work at all. I sent mine it to Canon warranty repair and they fixed it (pretty much) and turnaround time was excellent. Over the last two months I have had it back, three times I have had the same problem (lens error, beeps, shutdown) but I have switched it off several times and then magically it had worked OK. Then it may go several weeks without any hint of the problem. I am at the end of my warranty coverage. I think I am going to send it back b/c even now that it's rarely happening, it may become more of an issue in the future after the warranty expires.

Cloudless, I also responded to your post on DPReview where I had a similar post from a few months ago.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6481122 (hope that link works.)
KRDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2004 (Mon)   #12
mookiemeister

All this talk about defective lens on Canon G series makes me a bit apprehensive about my G3. For those people who have problems with their lens, do you use lens cap? I use lens cap and I don't manually remove lens cap. Instead I let the lens push the lens cap out when I turn on the camera. I'm not sure if this could cause problem with the motor not having enough juice to push the lens cap so eventually lens gets stuck. Anyone have thought on this?
mookiemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2004 (Mon)   #13
KRDV

mookie,

I wouldn't let this worry you too much. When it happened to me, I searched for threads on various sites and couldn't really find anything so it's NOT a common problem (IMO).

Second, after my warranty repair, the problem is so infrequent, it wouldn't be a major issue with me unless it gets worse as time goes on. Because I am still under warranty, I am sending it in. My guess is that many other cameras would have similar issues and overall, I think the G3/G3 is quite durable. That is consistent with what I have read.

Note: With the exception of probably 10 times, I always take the cap off manually so I don't think that the lens cap has any relation to it.
KRDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2004 (Mon)   #14
CRCs Reality

Mookie, I can't speak for others, but in my case it was definitely my own fault.
Really, it took a heck of a fall, I was surprised more wasn't broken.
Now, every time I put my camera down, I'm very careful (and a little slow-motion movie of the G3 tumbling off the counter replays in my head.. noooooo.....).
CRCs Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2004 (Mon)   #15
submannz

Noooo, it is not at all a common problem this failure that was originally mentioned must have been a freek manufacturing fault.

As for the other ones mentioned was mainly due to a drop or hit to the camera, which would almost be expected from any camera
submannz is offline   Reply With Quote