Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Nov 2006 (Wednesday) 18:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamrac Expedition 5 and Bogen Tripod

Mac
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 22, 2006 18:50 |  #1

Hello...I am in search of a new backpack, one I can where while mountain biking. I have looked around and I like the way the Expeditions hold the tripod on the back, the Lowepro I have now hangs it on the bottom, and it bounced off of my lower back while riding.

But I am wondering if the Bogen 3021/488RC2 tripod setup fits well on the Expedition 5. I won't be able to get to a shop that sells them for a few weeks, but thought I could get some input before hand.

If it doesn't fit too well, I will just have to go up to the 7, but all of the images I have seen of the 7 seem to be too much for my kit.

Thanks for any help...:D

Sean
www.akamac.com (external link)

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,473 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Nov 22, 2006 18:53 |  #2

Mac wrote in post #2301010 (external link)
Hello...I am in search of a new backpack, one I can where while mountain biking. I have looked around and I like the way the Expeditions hold the tripod on the back, the Lowepro I have now hangs it on the bottom, and it bounced off of my lower back while riding.

But I am wondering if the Bogen 3021/488RC2 tripod setup fits well on the Expedition 5. I won't be able to get to a shop that sells them for a few weeks, but thought I could get some input before hand.

If it doesn't fit too well, I will just have to go up to the 7, but all of the images I have seen of the 7 seem to be too much for my kit.

I would not want to strap my 3021/488RC2 to ANY camera bag. I recommend a "long strap" or a separate bag with its own shoulder strap to carry the tripod. The tripod/head rig are just too large and heavy, in my opinion, to strap it to an already heavy camera bag. It would be much too cumbersome to handle easily and safely.

I carry my tripod across my back while hauling my camera, lenses, and related stuff in a large shoulder bag (Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 AW).

edit - I missed the mountain biking part. The trick here, I feel, would be to choose a limited amount of gear and pack light.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 22, 2006 19:13 |  #3

I have the expedition 5, and am considering the same exact tripod combo. Just got my bag down and measured it. The center of the bag, with the tripod straps, is about 14-15 inches high, which means you're going to have a good 10-12 inches of tripod sticking above the top of the bag. The stapping on the bag is plenty stout, so I wouldn't worry about strapping a tripod to the bag. It will just be a little tall and bulky. You don't list your kit, but everything in my sig fits in the 5, with room to grow. I've toyed with the idea of one of the more economic cf tripods from Feisol, or Amvona, to help with the weight factor, and to also find something that has a shorter collapsed length.

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 22, 2006 20:14 |  #4

I am in search of a new backpack, one I can where while mountain biking..........

What thou needest is a Slik Sprint Pro with Ball head. I have the Manfrotto 3021BPro and the Slik Sprint Pro. The Slik goes where the Manfrotto does not go. The 3021 works best when you have a car trunk and/or you need to hike 150 feet to the subject.

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

JNunn
538 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 22, 2006 20:52 |  #5

I have the Expedition 5 and there's no way I'd put such a top heavy load as the bogen on it. I got an Amvona CF81 for mine. Its carbon fiber, short enough to strap to the Expo 5, very light (w/Benro KS-1 ball head < 4 lnbs), and very sturdy for its size. I paid only about $40.00 on ebay. My other tripod setup is a Benro C298 w/KS-2 head . Its a lot more substantial, holds 17.5 lbs, is short enough for the short Expo 5, and is still only about 5 lbs.

Mac
THREAD ­ STARTER
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 23, 2006 11:19 |  #6

Thanks for the input folks...it gives me some ideas. Would the 7 be a better idea, or will I run into the same issue having such a heavy tripod?

As for my kit:

300D
100-400
70-200 f/4 (not always with me)
Tamron 28-75
Tokina 12-24
Cokin Filter holder and filters
Hoya CP
cleaning supplies, batteries...etc...

I am pretty sure it would all fit into the Exp. 5...but I have thought about the 7 for room to grow and now possibly to hold the tripod...or maybe it is time for a second tripid...:D

Sean

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 23, 2006 12:05 |  #7

Here is some more food for thought.
Manfrotto 3021BPro w/ 308ProBall head with a Slik Sprint Pro with Ball head

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …1123SlikSprintP​ro0029.jpg (external link)

3021 with a 20D/BG-E2 with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS

http://img.photobucket​.com …1123SlikSprintP​ro0030.jpg (external link)

Same gear on the Sprint Pro

http://img.photobucket​.com …1123SlikSprintP​ro0031.jpg (external link)

On the Sprint Pro but in Portrait setup

http://img.photobucket​.com …1123SlikSprintP​ro0032.jpg (external link)

Sprint Pro at eye-leve (i.e extending the center column to get to the same height as the 3021)

http://img.photobucket​.com …1123SlikSprintP​ro0033.jpg (external link)

Sprint Pro with same camera/grip but with a 28-135mm IS (now the body is attached to the ballhead)

http://img.photobucket​.com …1123SlikSprintP​ro0034.jpg (external link)

Sprint Pro with same camera/grip but with a 28-135mm IS (now the body is attached to the ballhead) in Portrait setup

http://img.photobucket​.com …1123SlikSprintP​ro0035.jpg (external link)

Sprint Pro on a LowePro MiniTrekker. Note the ballhead can be detached too.

http://img.photobucket​.com …1123SlikSprintP​ro0036.jpg (external link)

Its a lightweight tripod with lots of compromises when compared to 3021, but for the price and utility its pretty good.

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

Mac
THREAD ­ STARTER
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 24, 2006 20:08 |  #8

Hrmm....thanks for the photos, really helps put things in perspective...now time for some digging...:D

Sean

JNunn
538 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 25, 2006 14:43 |  #9

Mac wrote in post #2303854 (external link)
I am pretty sure it would all fit into the Exp. 5...but I have thought about the 7 for room to grow and now possibly to hold the tripod...or maybe it is time for a second tripid...:D

It will all fit into an Expo 5...I've got more than that in mine. It all depends on how much gear you want to carry. The Expo 7 will certainly carry more, (and accomodate a larger or longer tripod for sure), but my expo 5 when full is pretty heavy as it is...probably > 30 lbs. If the cost of the Expo 7 hadn't been so much more than what I paid for my expo 5, I'd have gotten it instead - mainly due to the ergonomics involved... the expo 5 is a little short for my body.

Mac
THREAD ­ STARTER
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 26, 2006 09:26 |  #10

The weight isn't the end of the world. As it sits now, I carry all of that in my Lowepro backpack and it is not bad...and I don't usually take everything. I just need to be able to carry the tripod with me for some of the shoots I have planned next spring, and it will mainly be by mountain bike.

Also, I am not a short guy, standing at 6' 2", so maybe the exp. 7 is the way I should go then...

Sean

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Nov 26, 2006 13:43 |  #11

But I am wondering if the Bogen 3021/488RC2 tripod setup fits well on the Expedition 5.

Check out the Think Tank 360
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/ (external link)
The pack has an extra tripod strap that hangs the tripod aoubt 8" lower for longer pods.
This bag also has a unique system whereby the lower portion can be free to rotate to the front to change lenses or get your camera out.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

breney
291 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 21, 2012 06:55 as a reply to  @ Mike K's post |  #12

Hi there!

I'm aware this thread is now about 6 years old, but if any of you still have the expedition 5 or 6, can you help me? I'm thinking of buying one, and have no issues about it fitting my gear except for laptop.
If any of you have the Expedition 5 or 6, can you tell me if you are able to fit a 15inch laptop into either? I want to carry a macbook pro with me, but don't want to buy a huge bag like the 7, when I wouldn't ave the gear to fill it.

Any help is appreciated!

Canon 40D gripped • Canon 300D Gripped • Tamron 17-50 f2.8 • Sigma 70-200 f2.8 • Canon 28-200 f3.5-5.6 · Canon 50mm f1.8 •

sponsored links

2,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamrac Expedition 5 and Bogen Tripod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.