Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #1
Pat

Default Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro

Has anyone used this lens? would like to see some photos and opinions.
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #2
mrkgoo
Goldmember

Default Re: EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro

I don't think anyone has ever used this lens.

Kidding, I have it and it's one of my favourites. A great focal length, since it's only very slightly tele (equiv of about 90mm), it's superb for so many applications - portraits, landscape, general purpose...oh yeah, and macro.

It's fast at 2.8, has really nice build, and EXTREMELY sharp! Perhaps my sharpest lens. Awesome size and weight too. I think the ONLY problem I have with it is that it's focussing is slightly on the slow side (fast for a macro, but macro lenses tend to be slightly slower for that extra accuracy. Or something). Oh, it has reaosonably bad light fall off at 2.8, but only when taking non-macro.

Some unedited samples:

mrkgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #3
Pat

Thanks for that! I am impressed
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #4
J Rabin

People who carp about EF-S lenses carp. People who use this lens recognize its optical performance is truly something special in Canon's lens lineup. This is my writeup:http://postit.rutgers.edu/uploads/Ma...FDistance1.pdf.
Here's a typical shot: http://aesop.rutgers.edu/~rabin/Plan...Merritt_52.htm

I am an old 1970s Olympus OM guy (great macro optics for those remembering the 90mm f/2) who became a Nikon guy in the autofocus 90s and appreciated Nikon's 60mm f/2.8 micro Nikkor for portability, who became a never look back Canon digital guy, and waited to Canon to make a 60mm macro.
They did. Just happens to be EF-S. This lens is so good, alone it made me keep an APS-C sensor body instead of moving to a 5D! It trounces the 60mm micro Nikkor and even the legendary Oly 90 f/2 in performance. It's that good.
Jack
J Rabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #5
kidpower

I think the guys above said it all. It's an oustanding lens. I only rarely shoot macro with it and use it for general out and about photos.

It has a perfect, solid feel on my XT, and is very very sharp.
kidpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #6
Lightstream
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rabin View Post
They did. Just happens to be EF-S. This lens is so good, alone it made me keep an APS-C sensor body instead of moving to a 5D! It trounces the 60mm micro Nikkor and even the legendary Oly 90 f/2 in performance. It's that good.
Jack

That's why I am having such a difficult time deciding whether I want to sell this lens to move to the 100mm macro. Its performance is absolutely mind blowing - and this little EF-S lens scares all the L's in my gear bag.

I like it so much I adapted it to fit the 1D 1.3X crop factor platform, although I did not succeed in moving it to full frame because the mirror is simply too big to clear the rear element.

Interesting observation: It DOES NOT vignette on a 1D. There is enough image area that completely black vignetting is absent, although there is minor light falloff at normal working distances wide open (although some have noted this is a concern at f/2.8 normal tele range on a 1.6X platform too)

Last edited by Lightstream : 23rd of November 2006 (Thu) at 07:31.
Lightstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #7
George Chew

Greetings,
This is the sharpest lens I had. I have to let it go very reluctantly as I upgrade to 5D. This is the parting shot. Enjoy...

Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #8
aladyforty
Goldmember

as everyone has said before, its a great sharp lens. I wont part with mine.

Last edited by aladyforty : 5th of March 2008 (Wed) at 20:43.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #9
kidpower

Here is a flower shot with the 60 EFS macro. XT, F8, ISO 100, 1/40, crop, RAW, sharpened some. I shoot very little macro and there is probably camera shake in this photo as it's hard to steady the hands bending over and crouching. I should have upped the shutter speed. For the serious macro person with tripod and all that, it's capable of stunning results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flower.jpg (95.4 KB, 11944 views)
kidpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #10
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide

This lens is really very good indeed in all respects, including build. Ultra sharp, sharpest I've ever had, and capable of genuine 3D poppin' looking shots. AF is on the slow side and tends to hunt, but it is a Macro and they all seem to be the same. I use MF for Macro anyway.

I posted some fast and loose samples here: Click

condyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #11
illy

My Favourite Lens.

FOV is around 96mm on the crops so it equals out to the 100mm macro on a FF. An effective 100mm FOV makes it a good portraiture lens (mainly what I use it for), the bokeh is smooth and creamy - a problem you may encounter when shooting in bright light is that when you stop down to f/5.6 - f/8.0 it becomes too sharp and people might complain about the texture of their skin - isn't that a great disadvantage ... too sharp

The AF is smooth and silent ... USM ... I haven't many lenses to compare the speed to so I can't really say. In low light I use it with my flash so that it focuses with the assist light.

The lens is very well built; I've dragged mine everywhere and have only have a couple of scratches. I recommend getting the hood with it, it’s very good, and protects the lens well (of course remove for macro) - also flare is very well controlled, even without the hood.

If you want a good macro lens (may be too short for some insects ... its more an object macro lens) that can double up for portraiture, tack sharp, well built, cheap, good bokeh, go for this one.

Here is my gallery - all the pics are with this lens:

http://beta.zooomr.com/photos/ilia

Have a look here at some 100% crops with modest sharpening applied in PS (shot in RAW):

Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #12
paulhillion

There's been a couple of times when I've thought of selling my 60 macro but then I look back on some of the images it produces and I quickly come to my senses. It's an amazing lens and probably one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used.

Last edited by paulhillion : 23rd of November 2006 (Thu) at 17:28.
paulhillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #13
kevin_c
Cream of the Crop

As everyone else has said - Get it! I use mine mainly for portraits (human & cats!) but it is a great macro as well

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L
kevin_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #14
Max Err

great lens no doubt, I bought it to pair to my 135L when shooting portraits in confined spaces (on 400d) - well, being great it is still not quite up to the 135L image quality - looking at 100% crops you notice the difference: at 200ISO the former produces more noise in the shadowed areas giving the image a lesser detailed look (more grainy) - this is my cautious verbalization of the lack of "magic" the 135L has and the ef-s60mm hasn't.
but if you consider the price difference it is all nonsense and you cant make a true macro with the 135L.

considering macro capabilities this lens is great for everything except fast and nervous insects - you must be too close to them to shoot at 60mm, so if it is the bugs you're after, consider something with a longer working distance (100,150,180 mm).

a flower at 2.8
http://www.pbase.com/max_err/image/7...6/original.jpg

Last edited by Jon : 24th of November 2006 (Fri) at 12:39. Reason: Image outsized; max. 800 pixels per POTN rules.
Max Err is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2006 (Thu)   #15
Bonjour43ma

nice
Bonjour43ma is offline   Reply With Quote