Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 24 Nov 2006 (Friday) 16:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

DIY BEANBAG (Instructions and images)

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Boston, MA
Nov 24, 2006 16:25 |  #1

Hey guys,

I am sure i am not the only one that likes to use beanbags when out in the field but i am also sure i am not the only one that feel that charging $50+ for one is a bit much. I have decided to not pay that kind of money and simply Micky Mouse my own and then posting the process right here. i was originaly about to buy the Kinesis Safari Sack for $40 so i decided to design my own as similiar to the Kinesis one as possible. this is the Kinesis one in case you are wondering:

http://kgear.com/r/R42​0.html (external link)

alright, so the first step was trying to figure out what to use for material. I have decided to do what i always do when i take on DIY projects and hit the local army surplus store. to my surprise, i found a camo laundry bag which has identical size to the kinesis one and also is waterproof and has a handle and back strings which means that it can be carried on the back and also be put on the tripod for extra stability.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

since my local shop has no website, i found this link for you :)

http://www.armynavysho​p.com/prods/rc9175.htm​l (external link)

alright, so now that we have the bag itself, it is time to put the final touches. the first step was to put a zipper in the bag so you can fill it up without things spilling out. the zipper cost me $1 at a local craft store and took about 5 mins to put in.

now that we have the zipper in place, the last thing left to do is fill the bag. you have many options for this step because you can use beans, rice, sand, poly or whatever else you wish. i have decided to stick to my old idea of using bird seeds because i can use them in the field to feed the small birds. a full 5lbs bag cost me $3 at my local patco...

now that the bag is sealed and full, it is time to test it out and see if we have the right amount of filling. take out or fill more as you see fit but the idea is to have the bag solid enought to support the rig while still being flexible enough to be used on a car window or over a branch.

well, that is it, we have a full blown beanbag.

the cost for everything was:

$5 laundry bag at local army store
$3 bird seeds from local pet store
$1 zipper from local craft store

=

$9 for a full camo waterproof beanbag :)

sponsored links
deadpass
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Jun 2006
phoenix, az
Nov 24, 2006 17:28 |  #2

awesome!! now that's a DIY project that's worth the time and effort.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​mexternal link

surfologist
999 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Florida
Nov 24, 2006 18:31 |  #3

Dude... that is soooooo cool.... i laughed for about a minute when i saw that!!!

Will definately put that on my list of things to do!

My! Gear! Bag!
All of my money has gone to L!!

surfologist
999 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Florida
Nov 24, 2006 18:32 |  #4

P.S. Will you make those and sell them?

My! Gear! Bag!
All of my money has gone to L!!

cgratti
Lord_Malone, your still a newb...
3,315 posts
Joined Feb 2004
E-A-G-L-E-S - EAGLES
Nov 24, 2006 21:42 |  #5

Great idea, you could also use "uncooked" white rice I assume....

Canon 30D

Canon 10D
Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II USM
Apple iMac G5

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.
Nov 24, 2006 22:48 |  #6

cgratti wrote in post #2309443external link

But you could not feed it to the birds in the field.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

keefyboy
34 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Nov 24, 2006 22:49 as a reply to cgratti's post |  #7

That. Is. Awesome. :D

Funny how we will spend $$$ on bodies and lenses, and we try to cheap-out on everything else (I'm *definitely* in the cheap-out club)!

Well done, sir.

-Keith (what am I doing up at midnight?)

bolantej
Goldmember
3,774 posts
Joined Mar 2005
CAlifornia
Nov 24, 2006 23:30 |  #8

Very cool, and I like the dual usage if you eve rneed a bag in the feild, plus it woudl be easy to carry. you should include a disclaimer stating you are not responsible for any pigeon attacks, should anyone copy this idea.

blonde
THREAD ­ STARTER
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Boston, MA
Nov 24, 2006 23:37 |  #9

surfologist wrote in post #2308772external link
P.S. Will you make those and sell them?

i doubt it, it will take too much time which i don't really have at the moment..

cgratti wrote in post #2309443external link

sure you can

rklepper wrote in post #2309657external link
But you could not feed it to the birds in the field.

exactly :)

keefyboy wrote in post #2309661external link
That. Is. Awesome. :D

Funny how we will spend $$$ on bodies and lenses, and we try to cheap-out on everything else (I'm *definitely* in the cheap-out club)!

Well done, sir.

-Keith (what am I doing up at midnight?)

i don't think it is about cheaping out as much as it is about refusing to pay such an outrages price for a simple bag. besides, i can't rig my own lenses or bodies so i have to buy those ;)

bolantej wrote in post #2309791external link
Very cool, and I like the dual usage if you eve rneed a bag in the feild, plus it woudl be easy to carry. you should include a disclaimer stating you are not responsible for any pigeon attacks, should anyone copy this idea.

good point, i would hate being sued by someone that got mangled by a pissed off pigeon because of this bag :)

Rellik
720 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Vancouver, BC
Nov 25, 2006 00:32 |  #10

Good idea! Saving money on the little things for those big purchases are well worth it. And clearly, some products are just overpriced.

Want to add some ideas as well. I wonder if filling it with Styrofoam would work, kind of like a bean bag chair I had before. It'll significantly decrease the load. Better yet, find one of those inflatable water wings for kids like this one:

http://www.intheswim.c​om/images/cat_image/T5​025.jpgexternal link

fit it inside and you can have it folded away in your bag, and inflate it when you need to use it. I think that would work if you don't inflate it all the way. ;)

-Derek 40D, 5D, 5D MK II, 1D Mark III
35L, 50L, 85L, 17-40L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Vancouver Wedding Photographerexternal link

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Birmingham, UK
Nov 25, 2006 12:42 |  #11

The Pod beanbag costs $16US, screws into your tripod mount so easy to carry around, is ultra light and contains plastic beads so no problem if you get searched at airports, which you may well have with seeds or rice, even if we forget the extra weight. Waste of time and money AFAIC personally, but I like that you like it.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

blonde
THREAD ­ STARTER
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Boston, MA
Nov 25, 2006 12:43 |  #12

Rellik wrote in post #2309951external link
Good idea! Saving money on the little things for those big purchases are well worth it. And clearly, some products are just overpriced.

Want to add some ideas as well. I wonder if filling it with Styrofoam would work, kind of like a bean bag chair I had before. It'll significantly decrease the load. Better yet, find one of those inflatable water wings for kids like this one:

http://www.intheswim.c​om/images/cat_image/T5​025.jpgexternal link

fit it inside and you can have it folded away in your bag, and inflate it when you need to use it. I think that would work if you don't inflate it all the way. ;)

filing it with styrofoam will work and it will work quite well (i did that before). the advanatge will be reduction of weight but you do lose the use of extra stability on a tripod. i always have the bag with me and when i use a tripod, i hand the beanbag off the center post to put weight down on it and keep it steady.

blonde
THREAD ­ STARTER
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Boston, MA
Nov 25, 2006 12:46 |  #13

condyk wrote in post #2311421external link
The Pod beanbag costs $16US, screws into your tripod mount so easy to carry around, is ultra light and contains plastic beads so no problem if you get searched at airports, which you may well have with seeds or rice, even if we forget the extra weight. Waste of time and money AFAIC personally, but I like that you like it.

Dave, i tried the pod you are talking about and found it completely useless with the longer lenses or when used on the car window and it also can't be used as an anchor to the tripod. as for the seeds, i already mentioned that to you the last time we talked about it. i only use the seeds in the US and when i travel, i take it empty and fill it with whatever i find over there (sand, rice etc..). like you said, whatever works for you but the bigger beanbags works alot better for me :)

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,072 posts
Joined Sep 2005
AZ-USA
Nov 25, 2006 13:11 |  #14

Great Idea! The bag could have many uses other than as a beanbag I think it would work great.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Websiteexternal link

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Birmingham, UK
Nov 25, 2006 13:14 |  #15

blonde wrote in post #2311433external link
Dave, i tried the pod you are talking about and found it completely useless with the longer lenses or when used on the car window and it also can't be used as an anchor to the tripod.

I used mine with Bigma, 300mm 4.0 IS L, 100-300mm 4.0 EX, 100-400mm IS L on car windows, floors and walls, etc and not a single problem, which is why I recommend it. We obviously have different ways of using it. Agree it is no good for tripod weighting.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

sponsored links

32,005 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY BEANBAG (Instructions and images)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.