Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of December 2006 (Fri)   #1
cyclone

Default New York Institute of Photography FAQ

On a regular basis, people post questions about the New York Institute of Photography (NYIP). I have had it in my mind to post a FAQ on the subject, and with the large snowfall here in the Midwest, I obviously have nothing better to do (or am procrastinating shoveling the 2 foot snowdrifts on the driveway). Best case is that people will see this post and never again ask a NYIP question. Worst case is that everyone now can refer questions to this post. I figure either way, maybe this will be worth the time, so here goes….

Is the NYIP legitimate?
Yes. I have taken the course and can say that it is. Although they do have a physical building with offices, etc. in New York, it is a correspondence school. It is not an accredited college or anything of that sort. You do get a nifty certificate to put on the wall. However, if you want a four-year degree in photography, look somewhere else.

What is the difference between the Complete Course in Professional Photography (Original Course) and the Digital Courses?
The Original Course is the course that teaches all about photographic fundamentals. It is primarily film based, but of course most everything is applicable to digital photography as well. They used to have a course called the Complete Course in Digital Photography that taught a little about photographic technique, but primarily focused on digital file manipulation, with emphasis on Photoshop. Recently, it appears they have split that into two courses: Fundamentals of Digital Photography (Short Course) and Adobe Photoshop for Photographers (Complete Course).

How are the courses arranged?
The Complete Courses have 6 units. Each unit has several lessons each. Also, each unit has: photo assignments (3-6 each) that are sent in and critiqued by your advisor; a written test that is pretty easy (but makes sure you have at least read the lessons); and a video/DVD to watch.
For the Original Course, the units and lessons are:
Unit 1: Eye of the Photographer; Camera and Lens; How to Use Your Camera
Unit 2: Film; Exposure; Developing Black and White Film; Filters; Developing Your Eye
Unit 3: Natural Light including Travel Photography; Available Light; Artificial Light; Strobe; The Perfect Print; The Darkroom
Unit 4: Basic Portrait Lighting; Studio Portraiture; Location Portraiture; Child and Pet Photography; Wedding Photography; Color Film Processing
Unit 5: Photojournalism 1; Photojournalism 2; Fashion Photography; Finishing Touches; Copying, Macro Photography, and Photomicroscopy
Unit 6: Glamour and Nude; View Camera; Advertising and Still Life; Architectural Photography

How much does it cost?
NYIP is a pretty crafty for-profit business. After you present an inkling of interest, they will send out lots of mailings. The first mailing will have an offer. It will not be their best offer. After the first mailing, a second offer will be presented. Be patient. It will probably take about three mailings to get to the lowest offer. Obviously costs change (that is, go up over time), but if you wait and also pay in full (rather than use the installment plan), past students have paid in the $650-$700 range.

How long does it take to complete?
If you hop right on it, about 6 months or less. If you have a life, you have up to 3 years to complete everything. If you are paid in full, you will be granted an extra year (4 in all) upon request.

How does it compare to other on-line courses, for example, at Better Photo?
I have no idea, as I have never taken a Better Photo course. Many people love these courses, so I’m sure they are excellent. I can tell you that the typical 4-8 week course at Better Photo costs around $200-$300, and covers one topic.

Can’t I get the same information right here at POTN?
Absolutely! Many people have arrived at POTN pretty much clueless, and turn into accomplished photographers. Tim is a prime example. After 10,000+ posts, he is a professional wedding photographer. At 1.5 minutes for each post, that translates to 250+ hours. It is mostly an issue of efficiency and how you best learn.

I’ve heard the material is kind of outdated.
OK, that’s not a question, but a statement. Anyway…..some of the material looks outdated, and in the digital course, it’s hard to keep up with the latest pixel count. Again, NYIP is a pretty crafty business. Changing course materials increase cost, so they don’t do that as often as many would like. But the fundamentals don’t change, and that is what they teach.

Thanks for posting this, but I still feel the need to get people’s opinions. In addition, I can master a cutting edge digital camera, but can’t seem to grasp the nuances of the search tool. Can you list some older posts?
Sure can! Remember, I must have nothing better to do. By searching under the complex Boolean argument “NYIP”, I came up with the following threads (a good cross section):
NYIP?
New York Institute of Photography Online
NYIP discounts...
New York Institute Of Photography
New York Institute of Photography
NY Institute of Photography
Seriously considering going pro. NYIP?
NYIP--Anyone go through the program?
Need help ASAP with NYIP
New York Institute of Photography/ Anyone Try Them?
So, How many folks here are NYIP grads?
NYIP Discount
For the 100th time, NYIP...is it worth the time and money?
Some Advice,"PLEASE" ! NYIP & camera question
NYIP ?
NYIP
New York Institute of Photogaphy Anyone!
has anyone heard of the New York Institute of photography ?
Got my NYIP course today
New York Institute of Photography (NYIP)
NY Institute of Photography
420ex · other stuff
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of December 2006 (Sat)   #2
holland_patrick

Default Re: New York Institute of Photography FAQ

Excellent work....

I had most of the answers but you put them in one place.. I'll be taking the short coruse because i'm short on cash.. but at least it's something
Simga 30 1.4, SIGMA 50 1.4
http://www.photocastnetwork.com/
holland_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of December 2006 (Sat)   #3
Saralonde

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Should be a sticky so people will find it. You know how people hate to use the search feature.
Saralonde is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of December 2006 (Sun)   #4
cyclone

The short course must be relatively new. I only first saw it when I was writing this up. I enrolled my wife in the older digital complete course. She is into digital scrapbooking, and this course was perfect for her. As far as photography, that course had some stuff about composition and things like that, but didn't go deep into technical aspects (exposure, lighting, color temperature, etc.) - it was mostly about digital file manipulation (scanning, processing, etc - but the majority was Photoshop).

Patrick, it would be interesting to hear what you think about the short digital course after you take it. I found the Original Course to be very good.
420ex · other stuff
Old 4th of December 2006 (Mon)   #5
daclozer

Hey Cyclone, good to see another Peoria-ite in here...
www.freezeframefoto.biz
http://www.etsy.com/shop/freezeframefoto
daclozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of December 2006 (Tue)   #6
cyclone

daclozer, haven't seen anyone else from Peoria here. Do you work at Tallyns, or is that some free advertising?
420ex · other stuff
Old 5th of December 2006 (Tue)   #7
daclozer

I am good friends with Scott Tallyn. He always takes great care of me, so I put a link to his store. I work in Peoria, live in Metamora. Are you a photog by trade or just a serious hobby?
www.freezeframefoto.biz
http://www.etsy.com/shop/freezeframefoto
daclozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2006 (Wed)   #8
cyclone

Tallyns is pretty good. Since it is mostly mail order, it always seems kind of strange walking in there, and the worst part...they charge sales tax

I'll PM you later so we don't fill the thread with Peoria chit chat.
420ex · other stuff
Old 2nd of April 2008 (Wed)   #9
kiltedbear

regarding NYIP being accredited, supposedly it is.

Quote:
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00HVpy

New York Institute of Photography (NYIP) is accredited by Distance Education Training Council (DETC). www.detc.org.
NYIP is a postsecondary institution which offers two distance education courses/programs: The Complete Course in Professional Photography Course and Digital Photography: The Complete Course. We do not award academic degrees nor do we transfer credit to an academic institution. We were founded in 1910, first accredited by DETC in 2006 and the next scheduled re-accreditation review is 2012.
NYIP is a concentrated certificate/diploma program, rated by New York State Department of Education (NYSED) as 270 clock hours of study. In order to qualify for NYIP certificate/diploma a student must successfully submit comprehension tests and complete photo projects. 270 hours is less than half time of college study and would be up to the college?s discretion for obtaining credit. Additionally, dealers and programs offering student discounts on items purchased is the dealer?s judgment.

kiltedbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of April 2008 (Wed)   #10
artyboy

i took the course in the 90s. even at that time, the study material looks dated but the fundamentals of photography are all there. its good that it lays down the facts and then ensures that you understand/remember them when u do the test at the end of the lesson. they simplify the 'maths' in photography and teaches you how to use them. its a waste that i didn't complete the course (i had a life ) cos i was starting out in my career and really working my ass off. they let me postpone/extend my course for one year but even that didnt help. i still have the study materials tho, and a mannequin head for portrait lighting practice. pity its not really a mannequin but just a filmsy plastic mould. and yes, i did learnt alot more from here than from photography books i've read.
Old 16th of March 2011 (Wed)   #11
dag1369

My wife just signed up. Here is the discount code we used. Hope someone else can benefit from it. I am not pushing this onto anyone. I do not know much about the school but she gets to go with no cost out of pocket for us so why not; government grant paying for program. Just figured I would pass the info in case someone else was interested. If you request info from them and then wait like 5 weeks you will keep getting lower rates. They started at $1198, then $898, & now $698. Just for not signing up right away.

What: Save $500 on NYIP's Complete Course in Professional Photography ($ 1198 now only $698)
When: Enroll by Friday, March 25th 2011
How: Enroll online and use the offer code '2P1E'
dag1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of September 2011 (Sat)   #12
tagakweens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag1369 View Post
My wife just signed up. Here is the discount code we used. Hope someone else can benefit from it. I am not pushing this onto anyone. I do not know much about the school but she gets to go with no cost out of pocket for us so why not; government grant paying for program. Just figured I would pass the info in case someone else was interested. If you request info from them and then wait like 5 weeks you will keep getting lower rates. They started at $1198, then $898, & now $698. Just for not signing up right away.

What: Save $500 on NYIP's Complete Course in Professional Photography ($ 1198 now only $698)
When: Enroll by Friday, March 25th 2011
How: Enroll online and use the offer code '2P1E'
how are you (or your wife) liking the course so far? do they send all units all at once? or is it one unit every month? every 2 months?

thanks!
tagakweens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of September 2011 (Sun)   #13
dag1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagakweens View Post
how are you (or your wife) liking the course so far? do they send all units all at once? or is it one unit every month? every 2 months?

thanks!
We love it. She is the one enrolled but I am going through the training with her for motivation. The information is very good so far. They send you the materials in 3 separate shipments but you can requests everything up front. We did since we were in the process of moving. We listen to the cds on road trips and at night after we get the kids down. You have assignments where you send in pics and they grade you on then and they have quizzes online as well. Not bad for the $$$. Best of all it is something we enjoy as a hobby.
dag1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of September 2011 (Sun)   #14
tagakweens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag1369 View Post
We love it. She is the one enrolled but I am going through the training with her for motivation. The information is very good so far. They send you the materials in 3 separate shipments but you can requests everything up front. We did since we were in the process of moving. We listen to the cds on road trips and at night after we get the kids down. You have assignments where you send in pics and they grade you on then and they have quizzes online as well. Not bad for the $$$. Best of all it is something we enjoy as a hobby.
Thanks.... I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.... I just have to see which credit card I can use.... i'm think i'm gonna go ahead and enroll.... after reading all the blogs and the reviews for NYIP... the positives outweigh the negatives...

thanks again!
tagakweens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of September 2011 (Sun)   #15
ChasDennis

I new absolutely nothing about a digital camera or taking pictures and last year I entered the

Fundamentals of Digital Photography (Short Course) .I have 1 more photo assignment to do then I am finished. This course coat me a little over $300.00. I would only recommend this course to someone that knows nothing about using a camera or taking pictures like myself.

I am thinking about taking the Photoshop course because I know nothing about editing Pictures

Hope this helps.

Here is a macro picture. This would of never happened if I didn't take the course

jpg.gif IMG_3862 (640x380) (500x297).jpg (
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3862 (640x380) (500x297).jpg (126.6 KB, 218 views)
ChasDennis is offline   Reply With Quote