Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of December 2006 (Sun)   #16
SWAT

Default Re: Canon 50 F1.2 Sample images

Where did u get this lens from?
SWAT is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of December 2006 (Sun)   #17
PetKal
User is banned from forums

Enjoy your new lens.
Your sample images look pretty good, judging by these web postings.
IMO the major IQ defficiencies this lens could be affected by are poor contrast and CA, both at f/1.2. However, those are hard to judge on your sample images.
Both of those deficiencies can be discerned best on a simpler well lit black and white target.

At f/1.2, focus inaccuracies, be they camera and/or lens caused, also get in the way of lens IQ assessment. Your camera/lens combo seem to focus OK although, again, it is hard to say with certainity because of the small photo size.

Lastly, have not seen any nice bokeh images posted yet. So if you can photograph some with the new lens for us, that would be appreciated very much.
This is the kind of test shot types I am hoping to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4964.JPG (43.6 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4981.JPG (56.6 KB, 420 views)

Last edited by PetKal : 10th of December 2006 (Sun) at 05:38.
PetKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of December 2006 (Sun)   #18
pcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetKal View Post
Enjoy your new lens.
Your sample images look pretty good, judging by these web postings.
IMO the major IQ defficiencies this lens could be affected by are poor contrast and CA, both at f/1.2. However, those are hard to judge on your sample images.
Both of those deficiencies can be discerned best on a simpler well lit black and white target.

At f/1.2, focus inaccuracies, be they camera and/or lens caused, also get in the way of lens IQ assessment. Your camera/lens combo seem to focus OK although, again, it is hard to say with certainity because of the small photo size.

Lastly, have not seen any nice bokeh images posted yet. So if you can photograph some with the new lens for us, that would be appreciated very much.
Hi Petkal,

How about this one.

Perry

pcho is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of December 2006 (Sun)   #19
PetKal

OK, that looks like a good OoF blur.
What's also good is the absence of purple fringing around the chromed parts (unless you had it software-removed )...that's were CA usually happens.
However, the center point focus appears iffy...perhaps partly because highly reflective items the camera AF does not pick up well.
Old 10th of December 2006 (Sun)   #20
bluej511

What a beautiful lens but petkal i see some CA around the 0 if im not mistaken maybe a 100% crop would help but this is def a hell of a lens and if i had the money id get it, maybe down the road..i think the 1.4 is next for me with a flash
"No matter what happens in the world, a photographer will always be there."-Vicken B
bluej511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of December 2006 (Sun)   #21
PetKal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post
but petkal i see some CA around the 0 if im not mistaken maybe a 100% crop would help
With some imagination I suppose I could see some green fringing. However, if there was a real CA issue with that lens, purple fringe would be jumping at us from those numerals.

No, the only issue I see here is the soft point of focus....again, could be camera misfocusing or something of that nature.
Old 10th of December 2006 (Sun)   #22
pcho

Quote:
OK, that looks like a good OoF blur.
What's also good is the absence of purple fringing around the chromed parts (unless you had it software-removed )...that's were CA usually happens.
However, the center point focus appears iffy...perhaps partly because highly reflective items the camera AF does not pick up well.
Hi Petkal,

Those pictures are as shot in raw and just converted straight to jpeg. No sharpening at all. Now I actually focused on the curve of the letter 5 and right at the front edge as well. Maybe I should have used a tripod.

Here is another sample taken at f1.2

Old 10th of December 2006 (Sun)   #23
PetKal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcho View Post
Hi Petkal,

Those pictures are as shot in raw and just converted straight to jpeg. No sharpening at all. Now I actually focused on the curve of the letter 5 and right at the front edge as well. Maybe I should have used a tripod.

Here is another sample taken at f1.2
Nice colours, nice bokeh.
If you centre-point focused without recomposing, then it almost appears as if there is some front focus on it. However, that's a secondary issue. Wherever the critical focus may fall (front or backs or centre) that's where one should evaluate the lens sharpness.
AF calibration drift can be generally fixed relatively easily by Canon service folks.
Old 10th of December 2006 (Sun)   #24
cjm
Goldmember

Wow those nonson sample images almost makes me want to buy one of these. ALMOST. But I can't see this lens being worth $1200 more then the f1.4 version, at least not to me. Very awesome images pcho.
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of December 2006 (Sun)   #25
pcho

Quote:
Nice colours, nice bokeh.
If you centre-point focused without recomposing, then it almost appears as if there is some front focus on it. However, that's a secondary issue. Wherever the critical focus may fall (front or backs or centre) that's where one should evaluate the lens sharpness.
AF calibration drift can be generally fixed relatively easily by Canon service folks.
Hi Petkal,

I use to worry about focus issues that is going around forums. It happened when I first purchased my 10d. True in some cases there are issues but I was caught up it that issue few years ago. I originally thought my lens was back focussing as well.

I went back to basics, just go out a shoot real life pictures and enjoy.

Glad you like the images

Perry
Old 11th of December 2006 (Mon)   #26
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop

I just got email confirmation that mine's on the way. I should have it tomorrow, and I'm really anxious to play with it. The reviews are so mixed on this lens, I really have to reserve judgment from myself I guess.
Old 11th of December 2006 (Mon)   #27
I Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer

Location: On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes

Quote:
Enjoy your new lens.

ooh I LOVE that tree bark shot!
Old 11th of December 2006 (Mon)   #28
I Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer

Location: On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmondo View Post
I just got email confirmation that mine's on the way. I should have it tomorrow, and I'm really anxious to play with it. The reviews are so mixed on this lens, I really have to reserve judgment from myself I guess.
rookin' forard tae ye examples so I yam!
Old 11th of December 2006 (Mon)   #29
PetKal

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Simonius View Post
ooh I LOVE that tree bark shot!
Thank you, I Claudius.
A little clarification. It would not be reasonable to expect the 50 f/1.2 to display the bokeh quality like on my example shots....those were taken with a 2.5 times more expensive telephoto.
What I was trying to suggest is a shot type which brings forth the bokeh capability of a lens rather well.
Old 11th of December 2006 (Mon)   #30
mebailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmondo View Post
Belmondo,
Where did you order from?