Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of December 2006 (Tue)   #1
NorCalAl

Default So which is better, continuous lighting or flash?

I'm just getting my lighting setup started (one studio flash so far, along with the 430 and a flat panel flash for product) and I don't want to spend a lot. I see inexpensive flash units and inexpensive continuous lighting units.
Seems to me that using flash might be a bit more difficult since you can't really test till you shoot. I'm considering something like the Flashpoint units from adorama here. As well, it seems that continuous might be simpler to set up and meter since they are, well, continuously on. Britek lighting units under consideration here.
Any opinions?

Nikon, the dark adventure begins...
NorCalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of December 2006 (Tue)   #2
davidfig
we over look the simplest things

Default Re: So which is better, continuous lighting or flash?

The best is continous lighting, the natural one from the sun maybe through clouds to defuse it.

This has been answered many times. The issue I have with continues lights is the heat. They may be on for a long time and it gets warm. That's why they started making flouresent versions.
Old 12th of December 2006 (Tue)   #3
Curtis N
Master Flasher

For a quantitative comparison of strobe vs. continuous lighting, see this thread.
Curtis N is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of December 2006 (Tue)   #4
elTwitcho
frustrating as ....

Depends on the look you want. Natural lighting produces a look that is very difficult to replicate with flash, and vice versa. Between flash heads and 350watt continuous lighting however, I wouldn't even consider hot lights a particularly attractive option. They produce alot of heat, they don't have near the same output as flash heads, yet they feel much brighter on the model/subject because it is on continuously. That's my opinion naturally, but I wouldn't work with hot lights if there was any other option available.

Some of my recent projects

Portraits from 2007

Urban Gallery

Where Toronto Was Built

People and such
elTwitcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of December 2006 (Tue)   #5
NorCalAl

I should have said the Britek lights I am considering are the compact flourescent variety. I used - or tried using - some daylight-balanced floodlights (really on the cheap) last year and the room got WAY too hot.
I'm new to the whole lighting thing and I guess I should've figured this had been discussed to death. Kinda like the 24-70 vs 24-105 lens discussions...
I'm personally leaning toward the Britek solution, just was interested in other folks experiences and opinions.

Old 12th of December 2006 (Tue)   #6
FlashZebra
This space available

"So which is better, continuous lighting or flash?"

Unless you are taking images of subjects that do not move, allowing the use of relatively low power continuous lights, and very long exposure times, for most photographers, flash is far more practical.

Electronic flash just has a tremendous gross light power potential, in a very small and accommodating package.

Enjoy! Lon

Last edited by FlashZebra : 12th of December 2006 (Tue) at 13:19.
FlashZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of December 2006 (Tue)   #7
NorCalAl

Good points all. I guess I'm buying flashes!