So which is better, continuous lighting or flash?

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 12 Dec 2006 (Tuesday) 09:30   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

NorCalAl
Joined Sep 2006
966 posts
Paradise, CA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm just getting my lighting setup started (one studio flash so far, along with the 430 and a flat panel flash for product) and I don't want to spend a lot. I see inexpensive flash units and inexpensive continuous lighting units.
Seems to me that using flash might be a bit more difficult since you can't really test till you shoot. I'm considering something like the Flashpoint units from adorama here. As well, it seems that continuous might be simpler to set up and meter since they are, well, continuously on. Britek lighting units under consideration here.
Any opinions?

Post #1, Dec 12, 2006 09:30:45

Gear List

Nikon, the dark adventure begins...

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
davidfig
we over look the simplest things
Joined May 2005
3,169 posts
Fremont, California USA
[MORE/SHARE]

The best is continous lighting, the natural one from the sun maybe through clouds to defuse it.

This has been answered many times. The issue I have with continues lights is the heat. They may be on for a long time and it gets warm. That's why they started making flouresent versions.

Post #2, Dec 12, 2006 09:34:46

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
Joined Apr 2005
19,130 posts
Northern Illinois, US
[MORE/SHARE]

For a quantitative comparison of strobe vs. continuous lighting, see this thread.

Post #3, Dec 12, 2006 09:54:42

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

elTwitcho
frustrating as ....
Joined Sep 2005
1,478 posts
Toronto
[MORE/SHARE]

Depends on the look you want. Natural lighting produces a look that is very difficult to replicate with flash, and vice versa. Between flash heads and 350watt continuous lighting however, I wouldn't even consider hot lights a particularly attractive option. They produce alot of heat, they don't have near the same output as flash heads, yet they feel much brighter on the model/subject because it is on continuously. That's my opinion naturally, but I wouldn't work with hot lights if there was any other option available.

Post #4, Dec 12, 2006 10:10:05

Rich
Some of my recent projects
Portraits from 2007external link
Urban Galleryexternal link
Where Toronto Was Builtexternal link
People and suchexternal link

NorCalAl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2006
966 posts
Paradise, CA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I should have said the Britek lights I am considering are the compact flourescent variety. I used - or tried using - some daylight-balanced floodlights (really on the cheap) last year and the room got WAY too hot.
I'm new to the whole lighting thing and I guess I should've figured this had been discussed to death. Kinda like the 24-70 vs 24-105 lens discussions...
I'm personally leaning toward the Britek solution, just was interested in other folks experiences and opinions.

Post #5, Dec 12, 2006 10:20:28

Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
FlashZebra
This space available
Joined Mar 2006
4,426 posts
Northern Kentucky
[MORE/SHARE]

"So which is better, continuous lighting or flash?"

Unless you are taking images of subjects that do not move, allowing the use of relatively low power continuous lights, and very long exposure times, for most photographers, flash is far more practical.

Electronic flash just has a tremendous gross light power potential, in a very small and accommodating package.

Enjoy! Lon

Post #6, Dec 12, 2006 10:22:50

http://flashzebra.com/external link

NorCalAl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2006
966 posts
Paradise, CA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Good points all. I guess I'm buying flashes!

Post #7, Dec 12, 2006 20:25:46

Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,212 views & 0 likes for this thread
So which is better, continuous lighting or flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES