Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Critique Corner
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of February 2004 (Sat)   #1
snorrish

Default strange red/blue dots in night photos (canon digital rebel)

Hi…I took some photos earlier this evening just to mess around with some night shots, and noticed that a few of them had some strange red and blue dots in them. Does anyone know what’s causing this (is it avoidable)?

The camera used is a Canon Digital Rebel, unknown settings.

Here's the original, it has been resized and compressed quite a bit so the colours of the dots aren't nearly as distinct.

http://www.planethalflife.com/redef/photos/img_0449.jpg

Also, here's another photo that i took, just in case anyone want to see another from the series:

Original (resized and compressed):
http://www.planethalflife.com/redef/photos/img_0450.jpg

Thanks, any comments are appreciated!
snorrish is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of February 2004 (Sat)   #2
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper

Start by taking several images and look to see if the same colored dots are in the same spot (ie, upper-right quadrant, etc) on all the images. If that is the case, then you can at least narrow it down to a CMOS problem. If that is not it, then I am stumped.

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.
Radtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of February 2004 (Sat)   #3
snorrish

the dots can be reproduced, and are in the same spots

here's another sample (intentionally black), full resolution lightly compressed:

http://www.planethalflife.com/redef/photos/img_0458.jpg
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of February 2004 (Sat)   #4
EoSD30fReAk
Goldmember

Well it looks like you C-mos has some hot pixels!
if they don't bother you to much i would leave them but personaly i would send it to canon for repair.
i had it once with an Ixus V3, but that was just 1 hot pixel it was right in the middle of each photo but you got 5!! if your camera is still under warrenty i would strongly reccomend you to send it in!!
Old 14th of February 2004 (Sat)   #5
peter/c

I also have a 300d (rebel).It tells You somewhere in the manaul, if My memory serves Me well,what percentage of 'Hot pixels' Canon accepts as permissible.Mine has only ever shown one and I believe it is only a problem with Long exposures. My advice would be either ring Canon for guidance or just 'clone' out the dots.
peter/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of February 2004 (Sat)   #6
KO_300D

Just before it goes back to Canon, if you choose that route, can I ask if you've changed lenses at all?
I'm thinking that very small water particles on the lens (possibly on the inside, the bit that contacts the camera) could cause this as water is known for it's colourful rays when contacted with white light.

I'd try another lens, and if the issue is still there, and you've cleaned the mirror screen inside (very gently!) then I'd go with the Canon service centre option.
KO_300D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of February 2004 (Sat)   #7
snorrish

I don't have another lense to try

I have cleaned the lenses/mirror.

I may bring it in early next week...it isn't an enormous hassle (bring it to the store where i purchased it, as i also purchased an extended warranty)...but ill be without it for a month at least.