What's the best way to photograph documents (instead of using a flatbed scanner)?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 Dec 2006 (Saturday) 23:54   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

RedCarpet
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2006
19 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I want to save time and still get color accuracy and perfectly perpendicular pictures, i.e., as good as regular scans. What's your best method?

TIA,

R/C

Post #1, Dec 23, 2006 23:54:17

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
fslshooter
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2004
1,469 posts
DeLand, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Use a fast sharp lens and shoot outside in the shade like on the porch or shade of the house not under a tree where brighter light might creep in. Either place the document flat on the ground or prop it up at an angle then make sure the focal plane of the camera is parallel to the document -- place the document between your feet and shoot straight down or mount the camera on a tripod. Use an aperture that insures corners of the document are still in the DoF range, a shutter speed of 350 or so if hand holding and an ISO that will allow these settings. Fill the frame with the document, use center single point one shot auto focus, focus on the center of the document and take the picture. If there's glare or shadows in the image then reposition the document and try again until you get no glare or shadows.

You won't save any time shooting the document vs scanning though especially when you include post processing time. It's the method I use when a document is too big for my scanner and I don't want to stitch several scans together or like now when my scanner died -- yup I need a new one ;) .

Post #2, Dec 24, 2006 07:38:21

Jerry ~ Baseball is a game where only defensive players handle the ball and offensive players who hit successfully in only one third of their at bats are among the best in the sport.

Baseball Shooting Tips |++| www.jerryhalephotograp​hy.comexternal link

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I use a homemade lightbox with (believe it or not) my A620 mounted to the top, shooting through a hole in the top and I shoot invoices, receipts, comic books, baseball cards and almost any flat paperwork or periodical. It works great and it was cheap to make. depending on what I'm shooting I make a quick template or 'jig' so that the document sits in the same place every time and I can just shoot away. I did this while listing 2500 trading cards on ebay and every shot was perfect. It allowed me to use a crop action in PS to crop and resize with consistency. Shooting a lot of documents is fast and easy.

Post #3, Dec 24, 2006 08:13:14 as a reply to fslshooter's post 34 minutes earlier.

Please call me Robert or Rob, not TMR
Gear List & Feedback | The Lighting Academyexternal link
"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

fslshooter
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2004
1,469 posts
DeLand, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Robert -

Now that's a good idea and should not only yield better results than my method but also save time when more than a few documents are involved. I'm gonna give it a try myself -- heck, I might not need to replace my scanner after all. Thanks!

Post #4, Dec 24, 2006 11:08:27 as a reply to TMR Design's post 2 hours earlier.

Jerry ~ Baseball is a game where only defensive players handle the ball and offensive players who hit successfully in only one third of their at bats are among the best in the sport.

Baseball Shooting Tips |++| www.jerryhalephotograp​hy.comexternal link

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

fslshooter wrote in post #2441241external link
Robert -

Now that's a good idea and should not only yield better results than my method but also save time when more than a few documents are involved. I'm gonna give it a try myself -- heck, I might not need to replace my scanner after all. Thanks!

You should give it a try. It was simple and I get better results with my P&S and the lightbox than I see from others using more advanced methods.

Post #5, Dec 24, 2006 12:15:32

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Rumjungle
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
3,083 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

That's an excellent idea! It just so happens that I needed to scan some things. Thanks for the tip.

Post #6, Dec 24, 2006 12:22:49

Gear

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Rumjungle wrote in post #2441494external link
That's an excellent idea! It just so happens that I needed to scan some things. Thanks for the tip.

Beats a scanner in my opinion. I just set a custom white balance, stop down to f/8 (smallest I can go on the P&S), ISO 100, sine the camera is mounted I can use slow shutter speeds and if I'm concerned the box will vibrate or move I just use the 2 second self timer. When I run it though my crop and resize action I add in Auto Levels and presto magico. Perfect every time.

In my opinion setting up more complex lighting or using flash would take longer, be a more technical process and uneccesarily add time and work to the process.

Post #7, Dec 24, 2006 12:32:09

FloridaCamera
Joined Dec 2005
194 posts
Winter Haven, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Same for shooting slides and negatives. I use a backlit light box with very clean results. Beats a scanner attachment or the gadget that you can couple to the front of a lens.

Post #8, Dec 24, 2006 23:18:08 as a reply to TMR Design's post 10 hours earlier.

My Gear List &

Of Course a P.O.T.N. Green Neck Strap
[SIZE=2]:cool:

On eBay FloridaCamera
98 Jeep TJ Sport... Built It - Run It - Break It - Fix It - Repeat
KG4ZVE

LIST NEARBY THREADS
12,537 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's the best way to photograph documents (instead of using a flatbed scanner)?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES