Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 25 Dec 2006 (Monday) 16:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thanks for Some Great Advice on Flash Settings

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Dec 25, 2006 16:33 |  #1

Hi,

The other day I read a post on the Lenses Forum with instructions on flash settings. I humbly apoligise to the poster as I can not find the thread and give him (her) proper credit.

But, I tried the advice and it worked just great! Here are the recommended settings: set the camera mode to (M)anual, set ISO = 400, set f/stop = f/5.6, and set speed to 1/200th. Use the flash in the "ceiling bounce mode."

After expermenting Christmas Eve, I shot all my Christmas photos using these settings and got great results. Here is a sample of the wife and my grand daughter from my 17-55 EF-S IS using my 580EX SpeedLite.

Again, my thanks to the poster who put up these great instructions :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

sponsored links
rudgej
Couch-potato photographer
5,613 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Dec 25, 2006 17:46 |  #2

Jim, would it perhaps be Flash Photography 101, Chapter 3 - A Systematic Approach to Bounced Flash? :)

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Dec 25, 2006 19:06 |  #3

No, the post was just a two line response to a discussion on a lens I believe. I captured the instructions and pasted them into a Word document for safe keeping. This was at 0945 on the 24th.

However, thank you for this link...a very good read and I have learned from it.

Thanks,

Jim ­ McKeogh
105 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Long Island, NY
Dec 25, 2006 22:24 |  #4

I am glad I saw this post. Flash photography has been very frustrating with; strong shadows, overexposure and underexposure. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Jim

ChopstickHero
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Redlands, CA
Dec 25, 2006 23:46 |  #5

try experimenting with diffusers to achieve some softer light/shadows

Canon 40D and 350D :: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS :: Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS :: Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 :: Canon BG-E2 & BG-E3 :: Canon 430EX Speedlite :: Crumpler 6MDH & The Whickey and Cox

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Dec 26, 2006 07:57 |  #6

Jim McKeogh wrote in post #2445230external link
I am glad I saw this post. Flash photography has been very frustrating with; strong shadows, overexposure and underexposure. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Jim

Jim,

This is a great example of why I enjoy POTN. I, like you, have been frustrated with using my flash gear. Then I found these simple instructions, applied them, and got great results.

Great tips like the one on flash are all the forum...that's why I spend an hour or so each night just reading and absorbing.

Thank you to all POTN for being helpful and making this site a super learning experience. Thanks to the MODs as well for a smooth running operation :)

sponsored links

1,125 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thanks for Some Great Advice on Flash Settings
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.