Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 28 Dec 2006 (Thursday) 03:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: READ BEFORE YOU POST: Wedding FAQ (advance preview)

tim
Light Bringer
50,861 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Dec 28, 2006 03:24 |  #1

A few of the more experienced photographers from POTN have formed a loose alliance to write a wedding forum FAQ, to help people shooting weddings for friends or just starting out in the business. It's nowhere near ready, but the first section is mostly done and might help a few people out while we finish the rest of it. We don't claim to know it all, or be the best photographers around (far from it), but we happily share what experience we do have, as people have shared with us. Contributions from experienced photographers are welcome, please PM me if you have a couple of dozen weddings or more under your belt and want to contribute.

View the first draft of the wedding photography FAQ hereexternal link.

This is our way of giving back to POTN, and the many, many people who have helped us develop our skills and businesses. If you want to support POTN and this FAQ please donate to POTN to keep this forum running.

NB: If you have questions please start a thread rather than asking questions on this thread. I may ask a moderator to tidy up the thread if it gets too long.

Disclaimer: The links to books mentioned in the FAQ earn me a referral fee from amazon.com, which I will donate to POTN.

Also check out this faq on how to shoot a weddingexternal link , by POTN member Rokkorfan.

Useful & Interesting Threads
Discussion about off-camera flash - Jamie, Lloyd, et al
Slimming Posing Techniques - Jamie Wexler.
Tims Wedding Proof Workflow.
Tims First Wedding Lessons Learned. Quite dated now, but perhaps still useful.
Album design examples - inspiration to help you design your own albums.
Wedding photography inspiration - the master list
A stark reminder of the importance of what we do.
Professionally written contractexternal link - be careful as this is for New Zealand, we have different laws from the USA. It's a good starting point at least.

Edited in by PhotosGuy:
Album Questions for Wedding Photographers
Engagement Sessions: Tips and Tricks or "How To"
Wedding contract
Complete Wedding Contract
Wedding Photography Contracts
Groom is like casper, bride dark skin??

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
GertS
353 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Gone
Dec 28, 2006 04:07 |  #2

That's a really good idea with the FAQ.

It would be great if the forum provided a permanent link to this FAQ, as these questions turn up again and again.

- left forum in protest -

kampphoto
792 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Dec 28, 2006 08:37 |  #3

Looks good Tim =)

Jacob Oldenkamp
Kampphotography
http://www.kampphotogr​aphy.comexternal link
Kamp Blog

http://www.kampblog.co​mexternal link

GertS
353 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Gone
Dec 29, 2006 04:04 |  #4

Tim,

I wanted to send you a PM regarding the FAQ, but received following message

1. tim has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

:(

- left forum in protest -

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,861 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Dec 29, 2006 04:09 |  #5

I've turned off PMs because i'm going on holiday tomorrow. Anyone who wants to contact me can do it via my website :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,861 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jan 05, 2007 19:53 |  #6

NB: Any amazon.com referral fees that I earn from book sales will be donated to POTN.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,072 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Northern VA
Jan 05, 2007 20:04 |  #7

Tim, I would add a small section for having minimal PP skills. Taking the pictures is definitely the most important part, but getting the images out in a timely manner is crucial, even for new photographers. Learning the software to manage the work should be a consideration. Dress and appearance and manners at the event is also something to mention. We have discussions about that issue often here.

Communication is key for success. If you know Aunt Jane is cheap and she wants the world for $250 for your costs and that's it, then live with it. But if you have pro gear and have shot many weddings before and Aunt Jane still insists on paying you for cost, and you know she will never be happy with anything you do, then just say no. It's okay. Tell her you have to go to Africa for a few months. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

newgenphoto
854 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Fresno,CA.
Jan 05, 2007 20:12 |  #8

Tim nice work... I think I've seen some of that before...hehe

Jasen Master
J. Master Photographyexternal link
My Gear (Needs updated)
JMP Blogexternal link
Facebookexternal link

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,861 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jan 05, 2007 20:24 |  #9

SuzyView wrote in post #2495836external link
Tim, I would add a small section for having minimal PP skills. Taking the pictures is definitely the most important part, but getting the images out in a timely manner is crucial, even for new photographers. Learning the software to manage the work should be a consideration. Dress and appearance and manners at the event is also something to mention. We have discussions about that issue often here.

Communication is key for success. If you know Aunt Jane is cheap and she wants the world for $250 for your costs and that's it, then live with it. But if you have pro gear and have shot many weddings before and Aunt Jane still insists on paying you for cost, and you know she will never be happy with anything you do, then just say no. It's okay. Tell her you have to go to Africa for a few months. :)

Noted - i'll add it when I have a few mins :)

newgenphoto wrote in post #2495876external link
Tim nice work... I think I've seen some of that before...hehe

Yeah don't have time to do the full plan yet :)

hard12find
597 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Pacific Northwest USA
Jan 05, 2007 20:45 |  #10

looks like a great start Tim......look forward to the finished product. I had tried to PM you a few weeks ago and got the same message....I just thought you wre anti-social ;)
Anyway I like your direct no nonsense style....
Jim

20D, 10D, Fuji S-20, Mamiya C220 medium format, Sekonic L-508 meter, 2 alien bee 800's, AB remotes, Sigma 500 HS flash, 70-200 F2.8 L, Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG, lots of glass, lots of stuff,8-)

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,861 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jan 05, 2007 21:09 |  #11

I'm back from holiday so PMs are turned back on now... might take me a day to reply i'm kinda busy right now.

newgenphoto
854 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Fresno,CA.
Jan 05, 2007 21:12 |  #12

tim wrote in post #2496136external link
I'm back from holiday so PMs are turned back on now... might take me a day to reply i'm kinda busy right now.

Everybody grab a number!! Number nine???

Jasen Master
My Gear (Needs updated)
JMP Blogexternal link
Facebookexternal link

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,072 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Northern VA
Jan 05, 2007 21:19 |  #13

Trying to keep things concise and yet thorough will be the greatest challenge, Tim. I know you can do it. I wish I had something like this forum before I started shooting events, especially weddings. The expectation levels are just insane!

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

newgenphoto
854 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Fresno,CA.
Jan 05, 2007 22:02 |  #14

SuzyView wrote in post #2496184external link
Trying to keep things concise and yet thorough will be the greatest challenge, Tim. I know you can do it.

she said it bro... it's all in your hands now. I can now officially walk away from the project. Just kidding man... I wouldn't leave ya hangin'

Jasen Master
My Gear (Needs updated)
JMP Blogexternal link
Facebookexternal link

TheSteveMadden
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Florida
Jan 05, 2007 22:26 |  #15

Nice work, Tim. Can't wait for further chapters.

Steve
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 30D, XT, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, other EF lenses, 430EX, several 580EX II's, Pocket Wizard Plus II's, lighting supports and modifiers, etc etc etc
Websiteexternal link

sponsored links

85,870 views & 2 likes for this thread
READ BEFORE YOU POST: Wedding FAQ (advance preview)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.