Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of January 2007 (Tue)   #1
Claire
Ikea Wannabee

Default How to write a good bio for website

Silly question, but I'm designing a new website that'll be more businessoriented.

Apart from the usual Home, Portfolio, Pricing & Contact page I want a About Me page. Problem is I get stuck here. I wrote something about how I got into photography & was about to snore when reading it. It sounds like everybody's story...

I can write, but I'm not that used to selling myself yet. Any hints what to include in a bio?

Forgot to add, site's aimed at portrait & wedding photography. Mainly portrait.

"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"

Last edited by Claire : 2nd of January 2007 (Tue) at 10:52.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of January 2007 (Tue)   #2
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

Default Re: How to write a good bio for website

I'm in the midst of working on a new site as well and this is one of the hardest things for me as well, writing about yourself. I spent a fair amount of time looking at established full time photogs sites to try and get some insight which didn't help alot as they were also all over the map.

What I have ended up doing is going with my philosophy and approach to the customer, some about my experience and some personal info. I have kept it fairly brief.

What I have avoided is the typical "hobby to business" verbage. I've always found that to be amateurish. The other thing I have avoided is listing my gear. I make a statement that we are adequately equipped to handle any job and that if we feel we are not, we will turn down your request. The normal customer, imo, doesn't know an XTi from a 1Ds. What mattes to them is the final product.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of January 2007 (Tue)   #3
Dchemist

Hi Claire,
Rather than taking the approach of why you became a photographer you might limit the statement to why you photograph and what you try to accomplish with your images for those for whom you work. It is your "story", the one you would tell when customers consider you for work. When I have had to do this for work I write as much as I possibly can including thoughts that may end up having no relevance. I then put it away for a few days and then return to it and edit it, eliminating everything that is not central to my story... Lastly you need a few sets of unbiasised eyes to read what you write and let them comment and see if the story works. Good luck, Dennis
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of January 2007 (Tue)   #4
Claire
Ikea Wannabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchemist View Post
Hi Claire,
Rather than taking the approach of why you became a photographer you might limit the statement to why you photograph and what you try to accomplish with your images for those for whom you work. It is your "story", the one you would tell when customers consider you for work.
Hi Dennis,
I have thought of trying to mesh the whole "My Philosophy" & "About Me" into one text. I don't want to sound too "hobby to business" as ssim mentioned. At the same time I kinda am keeping it as a semi-hobby/business thing, but I think presenting yourself as professional as possible is the best thing.

I'm trying to figure out how personal I should be/not be. How much should I really mention about me & my photo background?

"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"
Old 2nd of January 2007 (Tue)   #5
sageone

At the end of the day, the About Me section should be how you want to come across to your clients. I did mine in a ho hum sort of way...just a regular guy who loves photography and is good at it. People have commented on my bio and said that it just seemed natural and not polished. I honestly just whipped it up but have received decent feedback from my site and bio.
Old 2nd of January 2007 (Tue)   #6
Dchemist

Hi Claire,

I would be personal... after all you are sharing some of yourself when you press the shutter and the emotion you are trying to deliver is what people want to see and it is the reason they will hire you. It is not easy. The actual experience part "10 years in photography" might be somewhere on you site but it is not part of your story - the idea of an "about me" and a "what I offer" page might be the way to go. It clarifies the subject matter... the fact that you want to be a "limited or casual professional" is fine - you are just selective on what you want to do as you have time -- many people (including me) do this. I think ssim is correct: avoid the hobby beginnings - it is not relevant to today.

Good luck, Dennis
Old 3rd of January 2007 (Wed)   #7
sageone

Check the gallery section of potn and visit some others' sites...get some ideas, approaches and adapt to what works best for you.
Old 3rd of January 2007 (Wed)   #8
Claire
Ikea Wannabee

Thanks everyone. I looked at some pros' blo's and got some ideas. Will try writing a draft tonight.

Old 3rd of January 2007 (Wed)   #9
coreypolis
User is banned from forums

describe who you are, why you do it, you passion and intrest

add a picture!
coreypolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of January 2007 (Wed)   #10
Vegas Poboy

Try writing key facts about yourself and let someone else write your bio and tweak it from there.
Old 22nd of January 2007 (Mon)   #11
michael_
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageone View Post
At the end of the day, the About Me section should be how you want to come across to your clients. I did mine in a ho hum sort of way...just a regular guy who loves photography and is good at it. People have commented on my bio and said that it just seemed natural and not polished. I honestly just whipped it up but have received decent feedback from my site and bio.
i just noticed a spelling error in your about page http://www.demphotography.com/about/ , 3rd line "photograpy business". Just thought i would give you the heads up
Old 25th of January 2007 (Thu)   #12
nevilleb

Make it funny. That'll keep 'em awake. A small example can be found on the 'About Neville Bulsara' section of my website

nevilleb
nevilleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of January 2007 (Thu)   #13
coreypolis
User is banned from forums

read this bio:
http://www.christinalouvierre.com/index2.php
coreypolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of January 2007 (Sun)   #14
NickSimcheck
Sir Chimp-a-lot

When I look at an "About Me" page I'm not looking for your credentials, I'm trying to figure out what kind of person you are.

I mean, if you went to Brooks sure, if you've been doing it for 30 years sure. But don't list out every client you've ever had and all 143 awards you've received.

So be personal, try to explain the kind of person you are... Shy, outgoing, funny, reserved, etc.
Old 28th of January 2007 (Sun)   #15
NickSimcheck
Sir Chimp-a-lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchemist View Post
When I have had to do this for work I write as much as I possibly can including thoughts that may end up having no relevance. I then put it away for a few days and then return to it and edit it, eliminating everything that is not central to my story... Lastly you need a few sets of unbiasised eyes to read what you write and let them comment and see if the story works. Good luck, Dennis

I have done the same thing, and I agree 100%. If you write out a plan, a paper, or whatever... Let it sit for a day or two then go back to it. You might be shocked at how different you feel that day and what you want to remove or add, and in the end makes a much better outcome.