How to write a good bio for website

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 02 Jan 2007 (Tuesday) 10:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Claire
Ikea Wannabee
Joined Jan 2004
8,181 posts
Gothenburg, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

Silly question, but I'm designing a new website that'll be more businessoriented.

Apart from the usual Home, Portfolio, Pricing & Contact page I want a About Me page. Problem is I get stuck here. I wrote something about how I got into photography & was about to snore when reading it. :rolleyes: It sounds like everybody's story...

I can write, but I'm not that used to selling myself yet. Any hints what to include in a bio?

Forgot to add, site's aimed at portrait & wedding photography. Mainly portrait.

Post #1, Jan 02, 2007 10:49:54

My Photo Website -external link | My Flickr galleryexternal link | Photography Blogexternal link | My Twitter accountexternal link | Become a Fan on Facebookexternal link
"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm in the midst of working on a new site as well and this is one of the hardest things for me as well, writing about yourself. I spent a fair amount of time looking at established full time photogs sites to try and get some insight which didn't help alot as they were also all over the map.

What I have ended up doing is going with my philosophy and approach to the customer, some about my experience and some personal info. I have kept it fairly brief.

What I have avoided is the typical "hobby to business" verbage. I've always found that to be amateurish. The other thing I have avoided is listing my gear. I make a statement that we are adequately equipped to handle any job and that if we feel we are not, we will turn down your request. The normal customer, imo, doesn't know an XTi from a 1Ds. What mattes to them is the final product.

Post #2, Jan 02, 2007 11:32:26

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Dchemist
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2003
1,632 posts
Woodbury, Connecticut
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Claire,
Rather than taking the approach of why you became a photographer you might limit the statement to why you photograph and what you try to accomplish with your images for those for whom you work. It is your "story", the one you would tell when customers consider you for work. When I have had to do this for work I write as much as I possibly can including thoughts that may end up having no relevance. I then put it away for a few days and then return to it and edit it, eliminating everything that is not central to my story... Lastly you need a few sets of unbiasised eyes to read what you write and let them comment and see if the story works. Good luck, Dennis

Post #3, Jan 02, 2007 12:55:21 as a reply to ssim's post 1 hour earlier.

POTN Book Vol4 Astronomy Image Manager and BC Member
20D, 5DMkII, 50F1.4, 100F2.8 macro, 135F2, 17-40F4, 70-200F2.8, 24-105F4, 580EX

Claire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Ikea Wannabee
Joined Jan 2004
8,181 posts
Gothenburg, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

Dchemist wrote in post #2478436external link
Hi Claire,
Rather than taking the approach of why you became a photographer you might limit the statement to why you photograph and what you try to accomplish with your images for those for whom you work. It is your "story", the one you would tell when customers consider you for work.

Hi Dennis,
I have thought of trying to mesh the whole "My Philosophy" & "About Me" into one text. I don't want to sound too "hobby to business" as ssim mentioned. At the same time I kinda am keeping it as a semi-hobby/business thing, but I think presenting yourself as professional as possible is the best thing.

I'm trying to figure out how personal I should be/not be. How much should I really mention about me & my photo background?

Post #4, Jan 02, 2007 13:49:27

My Photo Website -external link | My Flickr galleryexternal link | Photography Blogexternal link | My Twitter accountexternal link | Become a Fan on Facebookexternal link
"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"

sageone
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
1,605 posts
Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

At the end of the day, the About Me section should be how you want to come across to your clients. I did mine in a ho hum sort of way...just a regular guy who loves photography and is good at it. People have commented on my bio and said that it just seemed natural and not polished. I honestly just whipped it up but have received decent feedback from my site and bio.

Post #5, Jan 02, 2007 15:19:48

Don Martelli
www.donmartelli.comexternal link

sponsored links
Dchemist
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2003
1,632 posts
Woodbury, Connecticut
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Claire,

I would be personal... after all you are sharing some of yourself when you press the shutter and the emotion you are trying to deliver is what people want to see and it is the reason they will hire you. It is not easy. The actual experience part "10 years in photography" might be somewhere on you site but it is not part of your story - the idea of an "about me" and a "what I offer" page might be the way to go. It clarifies the subject matter... the fact that you want to be a "limited or casual professional" is fine - you are just selective on what you want to do as you have time -- many people (including me) do this. I think ssim is correct: avoid the hobby beginnings - it is not relevant to today.

Good luck, Dennis

Post #6, Jan 02, 2007 20:12:10 as a reply to post 2479462

POTN Book Vol4 Astronomy Image Manager and BC Member
20D, 5DMkII, 50F1.4, 100F2.8 macro, 135F2, 17-40F4, 70-200F2.8, 24-105F4, 580EX

sageone
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
1,605 posts
Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Check the gallery section of potn and visit some others' sites...get some ideas, approaches and adapt to what works best for you.

Post #7, Jan 03, 2007 12:27:49

Don Martelli
www.donmartelli.comexternal link

Claire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Ikea Wannabee
Joined Jan 2004
8,181 posts
Gothenburg, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks everyone. I looked at some pros' blo's and got some ideas.:) Will try writing a draft tonight.

Post #8, Jan 03, 2007 14:23:44

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
6,793 posts
Mercer Island, WA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

describe who you are, why you do it, you passion and intrest

add a picture!

Post #9, Jan 03, 2007 14:26:53

Photographic Resourcesexternal link || International Photo Journalistexternal link

Blogexternal link

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographerexternal link

Vegas ­ Poboy
Joined Aug 2003
950 posts
Las Vegas, NV
[MORE/SHARE]

Try writing key facts about yourself and let someone else write your bio and tweak it from there.

Post #10, Jan 03, 2007 20:51:17

$$$ in Canon Gear & Lighting Equipment

michael_
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
3,447 posts
sydney...
[MORE/SHARE]

sageone wrote in post #2479085external link
At the end of the day, the About Me section should be how you want to come across to your clients. I did mine in a ho hum sort of way...just a regular guy who loves photography and is good at it. People have commented on my bio and said that it just seemed natural and not polished. I honestly just whipped it up but have received decent feedback from my site and bio.

i just noticed a spelling error in your about page http://www.demphotogra​phy.com/about/external link , 3rd line "photograpy business". Just thought i would give you the heads up

Post #11, Jan 22, 2007 06:31:30

ichael ...
vettas mediaexternal link (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooterexternal link (my sportsshooter member page)

sponsored links
nevilleb
Joined Jun 2005
195 posts
Bombay, India
[MORE/SHARE]

Make it funny. That'll keep 'em awake. A small example can be found on the 'About Neville Bulsara'external link section of my website

nevilleb

Post #12, Jan 25, 2007 01:07:40

Neville Bulsara
Photography Workshops, Photo Tours & Expeditions to India for the Discerning Photographerexternal link

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
6,793 posts
Mercer Island, WA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

read this bio:
http://www.christinalo​uvierre.com/index2.phpexternal link

Post #13, Jan 25, 2007 01:09:33

Photographic Resourcesexternal link || International Photo Journalistexternal link

Blogexternal link

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographerexternal link

NickSimcheck
Sir Chimp-a-lot
Joined Dec 2005
3,601 posts
SE, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

When I look at an "About Me" page I'm not looking for your credentials, I'm trying to figure out what kind of person you are.

I mean, if you went to Brooks sure, if you've been doing it for 30 years sure. But don't list out every client you've ever had and all 143 awards you've received.

So be personal, try to explain the kind of person you are... Shy, outgoing, funny, reserved, etc.

Post #14, Jan 28, 2007 15:24:31

Gear List | Feedback | Model Mayhemexternal link | About.Meexternal linkhttp://www.flickr.com/​photos/nicksimcheckexternal link

NickSimcheck
Sir Chimp-a-lot
Joined Dec 2005
3,601 posts
SE, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Dchemist wrote in post #2478436external link
When I have had to do this for work I write as much as I possibly can including thoughts that may end up having no relevance. I then put it away for a few days and then return to it and edit it, eliminating everything that is not central to my story... Lastly you need a few sets of unbiasised eyes to read what you write and let them comment and see if the story works. Good luck, Dennis

I have done the same thing, and I agree 100%. If you write out a plan, a paper, or whatever... Let it sit for a day or two then go back to it. You might be shocked at how different you feel that day and what you want to remove or add, and in the end makes a much better outcome.

Post #15, Jan 28, 2007 15:28:01

Gear List | Feedback | Model Mayhemexternal link | About.Meexternal linkhttp://www.flickr.com/​photos/nicksimcheckexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
39,482 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to write a good bio for website
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES