Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of January 2007 (Wed)   #1
maxse

Default Difference between SD/SDHC?

Quick question. So I am looking to get a G7. I think it supports SD and SDHC cards. But what is the difference between the two? I thought SDHC is just a higher capacity SD card but I have found 2 gig cards that are SD and SDHC. So whats the difference guys? Any suggestions on your favorite ones?
maxse is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of January 2007 (Wed)   #2
rpolitsr

Default Re: Difference between SD/SDHC?

SD cards can not be bigger than 2GB and are slower compared to SDHC which stands for Secure Digital High Capacity.
Not all the equipments that use SD cards can use SDHC cards, but the G7 can use them.

Although all SDHC cards are fast, there are some faster than others: (Class 2, Class 4, Class 6 for minimum sustained Data Transfer Speeds of 2MB/sec, 4MB/sec or 6MB/sec)

More aboutSDHC in wiseGEEK

Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries

"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN
rpolitsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of January 2007 (Thu)   #3
maxse

I read that thread but the convo seemed to be more about CF cards. Which one did you end up using? And how much can the 2giger hold at the highest quality?
Also is it worth it getting a 4 gig? Or is 2 gigs plenty? I just want to have the feeling that I never have to "reload" when Im on vacation or something... what do you guys suggest?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of January 2007 (Thu)   #4
rpolitsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post
... And how much can the 2giger hold at the highest quality?
Also is it worth it getting a 4 gig? Or is 2 gigs plenty?
A 2GB card will store 464 images at the highest size and quality (Large Superfine)
A 2GB card will store 776 images at the highest size and good quality (Large Fine)

In my opinion, it is better to have at least to cards so if 4GB is your planned storage size buy 2 x 2GB cards. If you can afford them, buy 2 x 4GB cards. I can not help with specific brands and places to buy though.

Be aware that the G7 CAN NOT USE CF cards.

Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries

"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Old 4th of January 2007 (Thu)   #5
maxse

thanks for the tip. Whats the reasoning behind getting 1 4gig versus 2 2gig? Im thinking if I want to shoot a video or something wouldnt one 4 gig be better? Can not afford 2 4-gig.
Old 5th of January 2007 (Fri)   #6
rpolitsr

If movie is important for you, using good quality (standard movie, 640x480 pixels 30 frames per second) you need 2006 KB/sec. it means that in a 2GB card you can record approx. 16 minutes, while a 4GB card stores approx. 32 minutes.

I prefer two cards instead of one mainly for two reasons:
  1. If a card fails (not frequent with good quality cards, but possible) I can still use the second one.
  2. If a card is full, I can start downloading images to a laptop while shooting with the other. This way I have always at least one card empty.

Anyhow, the decision depends on your personal preferences.

My photo galleries

Old 24th of January 2007 (Wed)   #7
zombie8

Quote:
I prefer two cards instead of one mainly for two reasons:
  1. If a card fails (not frequent with good quality cards, but possible) I can still use the second one.
  2. If a card is full, I can start downloading images to a laptop while shooting with the other. This way I have always at least one card empty.
If you want to save some cash, you can spring for a fast 4gb card and use a 2gb card as a backup. Fast 2gb cards are dirt cheap these days. They're almost disposable, when you compare them with film.

You can get a Sandisk Ultra II 4gb card for about 100 bucks if you shop around. I went with sandisk b/c I read a LOT of reviews about other 4gb cards failing after a couple of months. Seems a lot of companies don't yet have the technology down.
zombie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of January 2007 (Thu)   #8
mattjs

Does anyone know what the maximum card speed is that the G7 is able to take advantage of? At what card speed is the camera's processor no longer fast enough to take advantage of it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmspics
mattjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2007 (Wed)   #9
silvex
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post
Quick question. So I am looking to get a G7. I think it supports SD and SDHC cards. But what is the difference between the two? I thought SDHC is just a higher capacity SD card but I have found 2 gig cards that are SD and SDHC. So whats the difference guys? Any suggestions on your favorite ones?
I don't think speed is the main difference. I think it is their filesystem. The SD uses FAT16, which limits the size to 2gb -- 4gb for some operating systems. The SDHC uses FAT32 with a size of 32GB.

At present most SDHC cards are slower than SD cards.

Now with NTFS ( windows XP ) the limit is 2TB (2,000GB!!!)
silvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of December 2009 (Wed)   #10
FREDMERTZ

From SanDisk's website:

If your computer's internal memory card reader works with 2GB (or lower) SD memory cards but fails to read a 4GB (or higher) SDHC card, then the computer's internal reader is not SDHC compliant. The initial SD card spec defined the interface for cards only up to 2GB capacity. The subsequent SDHC spec was developed to provide increased capacity up to 32GB. Computers and other products purchased before 2008 may not be SDHC compatible. Computers and other products purchased before 2007 are not SDHC compatible. If the card reader slot on your computer does not have the SDHC logo, it is most likely not SDHC compatible and will only read cards up to 2GB capacity.

Solution: If your computer's internal memory card reader is not SDHC compatible, you have 3 options:

1. You can buy an inexpensive SDHC card reader that will connect to any computer USB port.

2. You can connect your camera (or other device) with the SDHC card still in the device, directly to a USB port on a computer using a USB cable. You should be able to transfer files from the device to the computer this way.

3. You can contact you computer manufacturer to see if they have a firmware update for your model that will make it SDHC compatible.
FREDMERTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of December 2009 (Wed)   #11
vondo

This thread was almost three years old.
Kenko 1.4x T-con, 430EX
vondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of December 2009 (Wed)   #12
drumsfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by vondo View Post
This thread was almost three years old.
Apparently some people's read speed is much slower than others.
drumsfield is offline   Reply With Quote