Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 05 Jan 2007 (Friday) 11:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Close Up Lens Question

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jan 05, 2007 11:01 |  #1

My wife runs a local thrift shop and someone dropped off in donations a set of 62MM close up filters. She paid 25 cents for them and brought them home to me.

They are three filters in a leather case and are marked as follows:

Fuji Photo Film Japan - Close Up #1
Fuji Photo Flim Japan - Close UP #2
Fuji Photo Flim Japan - CLose Up #5

#s 1 & 2 are about 1/4 inch thick and #5 is 1/2 inch thick and aoppears to have a light green filter screwed onto the front of the close up filter...not sure about this as it not marked and may be part of the #5 package?

The only 62MM lens I have is the Sigma 30MM f/1.4. Will these work with that lens? Is there any instructions as to how one uses filters such as these? Are they worth 25 cents?

Thanks,

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Portage, Wisconsin USA
Jan 05, 2007 11:08 |  #2

Yes, worth more than 25 cents, good deal. You can use them on the 30mm but may not like the results - you'll be too close perhaps. Using some step-up rings you could also use them on any lens that takes smaller than 62mm filters, like your 85/1.8 which will produce nice results. Get the light green filter off though. They can be used in different combinations as well.

GEAR LIST

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jan 05, 2007 11:26 |  #3

gasrocks wrote in post #2493325external link
Yes, worth more than 25 cents, good deal. You can use them on the 30mm but may not like the results - you'll be too close perhaps. Using some step-up rings you could also use them on any lens that takes smaller than 62mm filters, like your 85/1.8 which will produce nice results. Get the light green filter off though. They can be used in different combinations as well.

Gasrocks,

Not really my thing...I have the 100MM Canon Macro for my macro photography.

If you want them you can have them for 25 cents plus shipping :) I could FEDEX them for +/- $10 bucks I would guess?

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
Michigan-U.S.A.
Jan 05, 2007 14:20 |  #4

Jim,

I notice you have the 100 macro, but if these are decent quality, they make a good "poor man's macro" for someone. I bought a set, cheaply, from eBay for use when I had the Pro1. This shot was done with my 50 f/1.4 and 3 Hoya close-up filters.

http://photography-on-the.net ...entid=130943&d=1166​222557

My Gear

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,260 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 05, 2007 19:24 |  #5

Close up filters effectively alter the focus distance of any lens to the focus distance of the filter itself! Doubling the focal length of the lens it is use on will alter the MINIMUM magnification obtainable, but the max magnification does not double, although it is increased.

Focal length to subject (mm) = 1000 / Diopter rating

Magnification = image distance / subject distance

So with a 2 diopter filter and 50mm lens:
FL = 1000 / 2 = 500mm; then
Mag = 50mm / 500mm = 0.1x

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jan 05, 2007 20:46 |  #6

runninmann wrote in post #2494240external link
Jim,

I notice you have the 100 macro, but if these are decent quality, they make a good "poor man's macro" for someone. I bought a set, cheaply, from eBay for use when I had the Pro1. This shot was done with my 50 f/1.4 and 3 Hoya close-up filters.

http://photography-on-the.net ...entid=130943&d=1166​222557

Wilt wrote in post #2495647external link
Close up filters effectively alter the focus distance of any lens to the focus distance of the filter itself! Doubling the focal length of the lens it is use on will alter the MINIMUM magnification obtainable, but the max magnification does not double, although it is increased.

Focal length to subject (mm) = 1000 / Diopter rating

Magnification = image distance / subject distance

So with a 2 diopter filter and 50mm lens:
FL = 1000 / 2 = 500mm; then
Mag = 50mm / 500mm = 0.1x

Thanks guys,

I am putting them in the mail to Gasrocks in the morning. He is going to use them in his photography classes he teaches.

I keep hoping that some day my wife will come home with a Lecia lens or two from her store. At least these filters have found a good home :)

sponsored links

1,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
Close Up Lens Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.