Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 09 Jan 2007 (Tuesday) 10:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Virtual Oil Paintings

this thread is locked
Vixtran
142 posts
Joined Feb 2005
SW Oklahoma
Jan 09, 2007 10:39 |  #1
banned

Not sure if this is where this would go.
I've been working on a technique in Photoshop to convert digital prints to Virtual Oil Paintings. They look great on stretched canvas and clients love them.

Your thoughts would be helpful.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brad Buttry
Virtual Painting Tutorial DVDs
http://www.mmkgraphics​.com/tutorials/virtual​paint.htmlexternal link

sponsored links
amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Jan 09, 2007 11:52 |  #2

They look stunning... which technique are you using? Trimoon?

White_Marten
456 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Russia, Moscow
Jan 09, 2007 12:26 |  #3

Awesome work!I am very interested in your technique!

Canon 350D, BgE3 Tamron 17-50 f-2.8,Yupiter 85 f-2

Canon 430EX, Sigma EF-500, Nikon sb-25, El-Skyports
www.dkunin.ruexternal link / Flickrexternal link

baldybaldstock
606 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Sheffield UK
Jan 09, 2007 12:32 |  #4

I love these!. I also would like an idea as to what you did if you dont mind?

Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG Macro
Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro
Tokina 12-24 F4
Sigma EF DG 500 Super flash

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Jan 09, 2007 12:39 |  #5

Beautiful work Brad - very nice technique; kind of a cross between Thomas Kincaid & Norman Rockwell.;)

Pretty slick website too, although it took a little bit to load (I'm on a DS3, but with heavy firewall security). Is everything pretty much covered on the "Virtual Oil Painting with Photoshop" DVD that you're selling?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

Franko515
"doped up on pills"
2,478 posts
Joined May 2006
Crete, Illinois
Jan 09, 2007 12:49 as a reply to sapearl's post |  #6

wow nice technique. If anybody gets the disc i would like to see some of your work.

Light, composition, shooting technique matter to the end quality most. -Pekka
My Flickr Galleryexternal link
My Gear List

R_Metzel
fish stick man!
1,455 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Jan 09, 2007 13:00 |  #7

Quite a talent you have! Great job.

-Rob-
www.blacktiefoto.comexternal link
gear

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 09, 2007 13:07 |  #8

Could you post the original photos of the above, so I can see the transformation? These look like something I'm interested in doing....

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

StealthLude
Goldmember
3,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Jan 09, 2007 13:48 |  #9

sapearl wrote in post #2513757external link
Beautiful work Brad - very nice technique; kind of a cross between Thomas Kincaid & Norman Rockwell.;)

Pretty slick website too, although it took a little bit to load (I'm on a DS3, but with heavy firewall security). Is everything pretty much covered on the "Virtual Oil Painting with Photoshop" DVD that you're selling?

Now all i need to do is find out where to enter my PONT DISCOUNT CODE!

Awsome work man. I love the converstion, but can I get a discount!

[[Gear List]]

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Jan 09, 2007 14:36 |  #10

Hey.... see if the latest BH code works :lol: .

StealthLude wrote in post #2514003external link
Now all i need to do is find out where to enter my PONT DISCOUNT CODE!

Awsome work man. I love the converstion, but can I get a discount!

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

Vixtran
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Feb 2005
SW Oklahoma
Jan 09, 2007 14:39 |  #11
banned

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I know I invested a lot of time and money on various DVD's and books to develop a technique that was easy yet yielded excellent results. I knew if I could start selling the portraits, I'd make my money back. So, the cost of the DVD may seem high but one portrait will pay for the DVD. Have you seen how much seminars are to learn such a technique?

They really look spectacular on canvas.

Brad Buttry
Virtual Painting Tutorial DVDs
http://www.mmkgraphics​.com/tutorials/virtual​paint.htmlexternal link

StealthLude
Goldmember
3,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Jan 09, 2007 14:42 |  #12

Im not trying to shoot down your CD... infact I really want to get it to learn how to do it in photoshop... And im sure one doing it themselves would have a LOT MORE control over what the final product would look like.

But really, how time consuming is it to actually do one of these conversions using photoshop and your CD?

Ive been looking for conversion meathods but since "time is money" ive been looking for a filter or plugin that gets it done fast. How do you think something like this will compare to what you are doing?

https://www.alienskin.​com/snapart/snapart_ex​amples.htmlexternal link

From a quick glance at examples, I still love the way your art looks.

Thanks.

[[Gear List]]

Attic
Cream of the Crop
5,339 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Jan 09, 2007 15:19 |  #13

I've heard of a technique called the smudge technique. I don't know if your technique is the same but seems to give you a similar result. Nice effect either way.

Canon EOS 7D, EOS 40D, EOS 1D Mark III | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C, 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 180mm f/2.8 APO Macro EX OS DG HSM | Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di VC USD, SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] | Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX | Yongnuo YN-560-II, YN 600EX RT

nwa2
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Manitoba
Jan 09, 2007 16:14 |  #14

StealthLude wrote in post #2514244external link
Im not trying to shoot down your CD... infact I really want to get it to learn how to do it in photoshop... And im sure one doing it themselves would have a LOT MORE control over what the final product would look like.

But really, how time consuming is it to actually do one of these conversions using photoshop and your CD?

Ive been looking for conversion meathods but since "time is money" ive been looking for a filter or plugin that gets it done fast. How do you think something like this will compare to what you are doing?

https://www.alienskin.​com/snapart/snapart_ex​amples.htmlexternal link

From a quick glance at examples, I still love the way your art looks.

Thanks.

I use CS2 but also have PSPX (started on this) which has many of these filters built in. I have produced a few painting style prints but nothing that compares to the quality of Vixtran's work .... well done friend.

What you get is directly related to the effort you expend!!

Canon 6D; 7D; 40D:
There are many tomorrows', but only one today!!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Black]http://www.Abercrombie​.me.Ukexternal link
http://imagesix.wordpr​ess.com/external link

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Jan 09, 2007 17:30 |  #15

Vixtran wrote in post #2514235external link
Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I know I invested a lot of time and money on various DVD's and books to develop a technique that was easy yet yielded excellent results. I knew if I could start selling the portraits, I'd make my money back. So, the cost of the DVD may seem high but one portrait will pay for the DVD. Have you seen how much seminars are to learn such a technique?

They really look spectacular on canvas.

Alright, I don't want to come off as a jerk, but I have to ask some questions since I noticed you haven't been on the board in a year until this (what seems like a marketing ploy) visit. As I and many other members will find this technique interesting and worthy of posting at the forum as a subject, I would like to know a few things...

I have the Trimoon CD's and they typically yield identical results to yours with a great image to start from. (his result in lesser detail) I will say your images are very stunning and I personally prefer the high detail, but frankly we've seen only two. I would like to see more. I would like to see results from a image that was not shot in a perfect studio environment.

Lastly, I'd like to ask how your technique differs from Stephen's. (I know you can't give us major details, but some general differences would be appreciated) Is this something that you've simply copied from him with a fancy new package, or in fact, is your technique something new and fresh? I'm concerned whether your technique can supply me something new for $70. ;)

Again, don't take this the wrong way. I sincerely want these answers because I am interested in possibly purchasing the DVD. I own a Epson 7800 and do fine art reproductions for both watercolors and oils, so this would bridge the gap between those services and my regular photography.

sponsored links

235,776 views & 0 likes for this thread
Virtual Oil Paintings
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.