Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 09 Apr 2002 (Tuesday) 09:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lift-off

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Apr 09, 2002 09:54 |  #1

This is a new tower under construction on the Hong Kong waterfront near the Star Ferry Pier. Climbing to the roof of the Star Ferry carpark (there are stairs -- I wasn't suffering for my art here), I lined up a yellow street lamp in the lower right to give it a little ignition, tilted the building to a sub-orbital angle, made sure there were clouds in the background for atmosphere and here you go.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot G2
Firmware: Firmware Version 1.01
Owner: Don Ellis
Date/Time: 2002.04.08 08:22:34
Shutter speed: 1.3 sec
Aperture: 3.5
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Single frame shooting
ISO: 50
Lens: 7.0 to 21.0 mm
Focal length: 9.0 mm
Subject distance: 22.273 m
AF mode: Single AF
Focus point: [CENTER]
Image size: 2272 x 1704
Image quality: Raw
White balance: Auto
Saturation: Low
Sharpness: Low
Contrast: Low

sponsored links
Roger_Cavanagh
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Apr 09, 2002 12:53 |  #2

Don,

Great idea, well-executed! My wife is from Hong Kong, and we hope to go back for Christmas this year. I'm looking forward to taking my D30, but I expect that this building will have been replaced by then, the way things change in HK. :D

Regards,

=============
Roger Cavanagh
www.rogercavanagh.comexternal link

gandini
POTN's April Fool!
680 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Apr 09, 2002 13:23 |  #3

As always Don, you give us something wonderful to feast our eyes on, and salivate over the things made possible with a fine mix of creativity and Canon G2!

You seem to have a lean on your vision these days. The temple-at-an-angle one just didn't do it for me, I'll admit. There were so many great lines in that image I would have just left it vertical and horizontal, and let viewers enjoy the formality of it. But this one really does take off with the diagonal. The yellow light at the bottom really anchors the eye and sends you up to the left to find the nose cone. A bit wider framing would be even better, but perhaps the setting doesn't lend itself to exposing more at the lower right.

Anyway, as always, thanks Don for another serving from your stolen cookbook.

cheers,

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Apr 09, 2002 21:37 |  #4

Hello,

That is International Financial Centre Phase 2 under constructions. Don, that is a very great photograph! I was at Central Star Ferry 2 hours before you take the picture. :) Thank you for sharing. I guess it would be completed before this Christmas.

About D30 in Hong Kong, I am not sure if you can still get it here by that time cause D60 would be flooding the market by then. :D

Keep on shooting.

Griffin.

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Apr 09, 2002 22:46 |  #5

Roger_Cavanagh wrote:
Great idea, well-executed! My wife is from Hong Kong, and we hope to go back for Christmas this year. I'm looking forward to taking my D30, but I expect that this building will have been replaced by then, the way things change in HK. :D

Hi Roger,

With a comment like that, you're obviously very familiar with Hong Kong. In the late '80s, I lived in Western District -- Sheung Wan -- about a block from the post office that was the architectural twin of the now-preserved, historical Western Market. I got a parcel pick-up notice in the mailbox one morning, walked down to the post office and found ... it was gone. Not just torn down but all the rubble carted away and the plot cemented over.

Amazing ... but not at all uncommon. I hesitate to give people directions based on buildings anymore.

Don

P.S. Oh, yes, thanks for the other comment as well. :)

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Apr 09, 2002 22:53 |  #6

gandini wrote:
As always Don, you give us something wonderful to feast our eyes on, and salivate over the things made possible with a fine mix of creativity and Canon G2!

You seem to have a lean on your vision these days. The temple-at-an-angle one just didn't do it for me, I'll admit. There were so many great lines in that image I would have just left it vertical and horizontal, and let viewers enjoy the formality of it. But this one really does take off with the diagonal. The yellow light at the bottom really anchors the eye and sends you up to the left to find the nose cone. A bit wider framing would be even better, but perhaps the setting doesn't lend itself to exposing more at the lower right.

Well, when you can please the critical Gandini, you've done well. Thanks very much.

You're right about the lean ... I've been trying it out with a few shots these days but, with a few exceptions, it's better if you have have a reason for the tilt. This one did.

As for framing, there was just too much junk in the lower right that I would have had to clone out so I kept that area tight around the light. And then I just matched the framing on the nose cone. Having said that, more space above the "cone" might have been good as well.

As for the temple shot, thanks for the truthfulness. I went back the next day and tried normal framing but it just wasn't as interesting. The temple is in the village, however, so maybe I'll try again.

Thanks, as always for your comments.

Don

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Apr 09, 2002 22:57 |  #7

Griffin wrote:
That is International Financial Centre Phase 2 under constructions. Don, that is a very great photograph! I was at Central Star Ferry 2 hours before you take the picture. :) Thank you for sharing. I guess it would be completed before this Christmas.

Hi Griffin,

You always come through with the information ... whether it's the Chinese inscription in the temple or the name of this building, which no one has been able to identify for me until now.

Thanks very much for your comments. If our paths keep crossing, one of these days you may appear in one of my photos. Hong Kong really is quite a small place for such a large city.

Don

onehotrx7
258 posts
Joined Jan 2002
Apr 09, 2002 23:49 |  #8

Hi Don,

I quite like the slant - both on the temple and this shot, although it does work extremely well on this one...

Inspired by your temple shot, I took a landscape with a diagonal horizon on a recent trip - it was one of three shots that people 'really' noticed when looking through the 'best' shots - admittedly, several were asking 'why' I'd taken it on an angle, but regardless, that particular shot got a lot more attention, where similar, to my eye, better shots simply got 'browsed' through...

Such is life, I guess - and they say you can't please all the people all the time...

Cheers,
Stuart

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Apr 10, 2002 02:52 |  #9

Don Ellis wrote:
Thanks very much for your comments. If our paths keep crossing, one of these days you may appear in one of my photos. Hong Kong really is quite a small place for such a large city.

Don,

I guess it is just because I was the other poster here from Hong Kong. May be one day we shall meet, in one way or the other. :D You live in Lantau Island, right? I live in Peng Chau.

See ya around!

Regards,
Griffin.

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Apr 10, 2002 08:06 |  #10

Griffin wrote:
I guess it is just because I was the other poster here from Hong Kong. May be one day we shall meet, in one way or the other. :D You live in Lantau Island, right? I live in Peng Chau.

I hope when we do meet, you're not in a car and I'm not in a crosswalk. Leela and I love Peng Chau ... not that we've been there recently. We're out in Clear Water Bay now, having moved from Stanley a few years ago.

To keep this somewhat on topic, I took a look at this photo on my website and it's surprising how much difference a background makes. I like Pekka's background for most shots, but for this one the bright background makes it difficult to see the clouds in the lower left of the picture.

If you're interested, click on this sentence and maximize the resulting browser window.external link Wait a few seconds for your eyes to adjust. Clicking the picture will get you a larger version.

Cheers,

Don

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Apr 10, 2002 08:11 |  #11

onehotrx7 wrote:
I quite like the slant - both on the temple and this shot, although it does work extremely well on this one...

Thank you ... I liked the slant on the temple as well, but I have a feeling I'm in the minority. Still, as you say, it has more stopping power than "just another temple."

Such is life, I guess - and they say you can't please all the people all the time...

True. Even pleasing yourself is difficult at times.

Cheers,

Don

sponsored links

2,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lift-off
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.