Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of January 2007 (Sun)   #1
rayzur

Default powershot A530- sd memory card will not insert properly

Hello, I recently purchased a new "powershot A530" and I am having trouble getting a "pq1-1GB' memory card to insert properly.
I bought the camera from a reputable online dealer & purchased an accessory kit at the same time. The kit came with the 1GB SD card and I guess that "pq1" is the brand name. ( Is that a cheap brand that may be causing the problem?)
The 16mb - MMC card that came with it from canon works fine, and in the camera specs sheet it says that it accepts SD & MMC cards.
This is the first time I have sought out help on this problem, I haven't contacted canon or the place of purchase yet. I have only had the camera for about a week now, I an pleased with the picture quality but need to know why the SD card will not click into position proerly. I am not going to force it in place since the mmc card clicks in easily.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks - rayzur
rayzur is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of January 2007 (Sun)   #2
rayzur

Default Re: powershot A530- sd memory card will not insert properly

I've done some searches on google for "memory card selectors" and I found this one.
http://www.4allmemory.com/search/canon/index.cfm
After I selected my model A530 it recommended this card here >>
http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?...model_id=57588
Is this a trustworthy selection for my camera? The SD card I was having trouble with has 9 pins on the back & the canon 16mb card has 7 pins. Is that important, or do they interchange without problems.
If nobody has ever heard of the problem I seem to be having, could someone recommend a good memory card for my camera. Thanks again, rayzur
Old 15th of January 2007 (Mon)   #3
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

IIRC, PQ1 isn't one of the leading brands. But then the one you linked to is a real "no name". I stick with reputable brands like SanDisk and buy from real stores, not off eBay, since there are a lot of card counterfeiters selling there.

An SD card will have 9 contacts. It should exactly match the shape of your MMC card, ecept for being a little thicker.
T90 and stuff | F-1n, New F-1, FTb and more stuff out on loan
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of January 2007 (Mon)   #4
rayzur

Thanks for your reply Jon, I am learning more about the quality brands out there like San Disk & Kingston. No, I don't ever buy anything from ebay.
I bought the camera from butterfly photo >> http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/home.aspx
It is a CNET certified & trusted retailer, I would have bought from newegg but at the time they were out of stock.

I got the SD card inserted, there was alot of resistance on the first insert but after that it worked easily and clicked into place. But I've got problems now, I took about four pics after I formatted the card & now the camera will not turn on anymore. I went through the troubleshooting procedures to no avail.

I took about 30 pics on the canon 16mb MMC card earlier & was very pleased with the quality. I spent over two weeks reading reviews before selecting this camera, I do still believe it is a good model but it appears that I may have a lemon. I'll see how butterfly photo lives up to their warranty now.

Thanks, rayzur