Thread started 16 Jan 2007 (Tuesday) 14:16   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

sirsloop
BigFoot
Joined Oct 2006
940 posts
South River, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi folks... I'll start off by telling you all that I am not a wedding photographer. I'm a sports shooter and have hired pros to shoot photo & video at my wedding and reception, 9/1/07. They are aware of my desires to have a booth - and we all understand that this is something that I would do. They have no obligations towards this.

As you can imagine I've been out to visit a ton of local wedding photographers and have liked some things, disliked some things, and thought some of the stuff I could pull off by myself - such as a photo booth. Does anyone have any tips they could give me on setup for this? It needs to be stupid drunk proof and completely maintanence free. Now the wedding and reception is going to be at my fiance's horse farm, so I can setup this up any time from now until then and get the settings down. This can be setup days before the wedding and taken down days after if need be. I would set it up, but I would show my best man how it works and how to take it down so I dont need to deal during the reception.

I was thinking...

- Place the camera up on a tripod, or possibly attach a small tripod to a desk/frame so I have a place to secure wires (from people yanking on it).
- Rebel XTi with either the ef10-22 or ef35/2 on there depending on available space. I like the idea of the 10-22 as it looks crazy when the subjects get close to the camera.
- Canon RS-60E3external link Remote Cable release w/ extension cable secured to the desk. I have the wireless remote but I figure some drunk person would take by accident. Are there any other releases that are longer w/out having to source an extension? Its just a 1/8" jack right?
- AC power adapter attached to the camera
- A pair of light boxes on each side of the table portrait style - possibly hook my 580 up to a stand w/ an umbrella. Sandbag/tape on the tripod feet to keep them upright.
- Background is up in the air... may just use a simple white backdrop attached to a wall. Probably cloth for durability. I like the idea of putting up some sort of draping around the entire booth so people cannot see whats going on inside. If its out in the open then you are less likely to get crazy insane photos. :)

as far as camera setting.-

If I use flash I can simply set it to manual mode and dial it on via the histogram when there are a couple people standing there. If flash is used, the camera will be 1/200th manual - lens probably at f/11 or so. I'm thinking I should leave AF on incase anyone wants to get crazy w/ closeups... AF on w/ all points enabled.

How does this sound? Does anyone here use one of these booths or have any suggestions on how I can pull this off while making it drunk party animal proof? Any of these ideas off, or is this pretty sound?

Thanks! :)

Post #1, Jan 16, 2007 14:16:03

no gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Regarding the connector....an XTi uses the 2 conductor stereo sub-mini (2.5mm) plug and jack. You can extend it 2 ways. You can get or make an extension cable with submini connectors or you can snip the remote cable in the middle and attach an 1/8" stereo mini plug to the remote and a jack to the other half. Now you can still use it as a 2 ft cable or just insert a standard 1/8" stereo headphone extension for whatever length you want.

Post #2, Jan 16, 2007 14:21:49

Please call me Robert or Rob, not TMR
Gear List & Feedback | The Lighting Academyexternal link
"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,494 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY photo booth?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES