Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #1
Photolistic
User is banned from forums

Default Got my first wedding gig.

They got a hell of a deal for sure too. $300 to include a CD. Now that I will have some sample pics I want to charge starting out at $700 for time and prints but charge a LOT more for the CD.

I will have my friend Royce with me and he has shot weddings before so he can help me out.

I think I have the right equipment now (see gear list) and I am going to bring most of it but my studio gear.

I have been reading A LOT on here for the past few months. Im honestly on here more than 5 hours a day.

Any last pieces of advice before I make the bride and groom very happy?
The wedding is on the 27th of this month.
Photolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #2
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy

Default Re: Got my first wedding gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photolistic View Post
Any last pieces of advice ...
yeah, charge a lot more than $300 for your next ones.

I started at $999... and people who signed up still thought it was a great deal. I'll bet I could have started at $1500 and done just as well.

As for advice for the day... KEEP IT SIMPLE. You sure you wanna bring along your studio gear? You may find yourself barely able to keep up just carrying a couple extra lenses, let alone a studio rig. Seriously... some are so fast paced that I barely even have time to swap CF cards when they get full. It can be nuts, or it might be more relaxed. In any case, keep it simple.
picturecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #3
Photolistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturecrazy View Post

I started at $999... and people who signed up still thought it was a great deal. I'll bet I could have started at $1500 and done just as well.

As for advice for the day... KEEP IT SIMPLE. You sure you wanna bring along your studio gear? You may find yourself barely able to keep up just carrying a couple extra lenses, let alone a studio rig. Seriously... some are so fast paced that I barely even have time to swap CF cards when they get full. It can be nuts, or it might be more relaxed. In any case, keep it simple.

Yeah, maybe even more than $700. It was just so hard to book a wedding with out any pics for people to see. Should have done a mock wedding but oh well.

And I stated that I will not be bringing my studio gear BTW.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #4
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photolistic View Post
Yeah, maybe even more than $700. It was just so hard to book a wedding with out any pics for people to see. Should have done a mock wedding but oh well.

And I stated that I will not be bringing my studio gear BTW.
D'oh!! That's what happens when you read too fast!!

And don't worry about the portfolio. Seriously. Remember you are selling yourself more than selling a product.
Even David Jay's early portfolio he showed to wedding clients consisted of a drunken man getting harassed by the police or something and two dogs sniffing each other's butts.

Last edited by picturecrazy : 19th of January 2007 (Fri) at 11:27.
picturecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #5
sageone

$300 is ridiculously low. Why sell your services, your talent, so low? I guess you needed to get in the door. I started out at $2,000. Now charging in the $3000-4000 range depending on what they pic in terms of a package.
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #6
coreypolis

someone booked you yesterday for a wedding in 8 days

Buy a lot of cf cards, batteries etc and pray
coreypolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #7
EOS mE
Goldmember

Quote:

I agree.. you should listen to Llyod. $300 is a steal! There are many photogs that list in craigslist in my area for $300-$500 for a whole day event. man... i'm out to sell myself more than the product, like lloyd said. i'm starting my service at $1500 or $1800 to start.

as for the pace.. yup.. some wedding the pace is super fast.. like the chinese wedding i shot back in Dec. towards the cermony and reception.. pace got even faster.. don't know why they were rushing. good thing i deal with CF card daily so i can remove it from teh PVC casing with 3 fingers, so i swapped out quick. but next time, i need to wear one of those fisherman vest so i can keep my flash on me instead of being in my kahki's pocket.

My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103
EOS mE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #8
Kiddo
Goldmember

Make sure you've got lots of CF cards and batteries!! Did you check into if you can shoot photos in the church?

Canon 30D, Canon 10D, Canon SXi, Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens, Canon EF 28-80mm Lens, Canon 75-300mm EF Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8LUSM Lens, Speedlite 540EZ
Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #9
xandria

Congrats on the first gig!
My advice: be as prepared as you can be and then just try to relax. If you're tense the b&g will be tense and tension usually doesn't make for good wedding photos. You've studied and you'll have a photog friend there to back you up, so just have a great time.
xandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #10
Photolistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
Make sure you've got lots of CF cards and batteries!! Did you check into if you can shoot photos in the church?
No I will have them check on that before we meet in 2 days to talk about the day.

I am shooting with 4 batteries (2 grips) and I plan on bringing about 4 gigs for my 2 bodies.

I totally agree that they are getting a great deal and now that I will have pictures that show my skill at pictures and PP maybe I should have packages form $1500-3000?
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #11
coreypolis

4 gb is not even close to enough for a full day. I shot 11.6gb last weekend.
stop by costco for a AA pack of batteries for the flash, or rent a quantum turbo battery (about the same price)
coreypolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #12
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Congratulations on getting the job - it's very gratifying and fun work. You can even make a few bucks . There are a lot of excellent posts in the Wedding forum and many are glad to help.

Don't be bothered by not having the type of complete portfolio that you ultimately strive for. Portfolio's will develop and improve just as your craft and technique will evolve over time. Picture styles and photographic ability mature with time and your samples will evolve through the years if you stick with it.

Yes, I agree that it is very important to to sell yourself, but most customers in the U.S. today still want solid, tangible quality product for their hard earned money. DJ is very successful in what he does and I applaud him for that talent. But IMHO I believe he is the exception rather than the rule, ableit an excellent one.

Butt-sniffing dogs in a wedding portfolio? Interesting......

Quote:
....And don't worry about the portfolio. Seriously. Remember you are selling yourself more than selling a product.
Even David Jay's early portfolio he showed to wedding clients consisted of a drunken man getting harassed by the police or something and two dogs sniffing each other's butts.
sapearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #13
subtle_spectre

Well...good luck. Sounds like a chance to build the portfolio. FWIW, I take and sometimes use 28 gb of cf cards for all day weddings, shooting raw.

Scott

Vista owner...and user _________________________________________

Gear

www.scottcphotography.com

subtle_spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #14
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Now that's what I call PREPARED! Makes me want to run out and buy some more cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtle_spectre View Post
Well...good luck. Sounds like a chance to build the portfolio. FWIW, I take and sometimes use 28 gb of cf cards for all day weddings, shooting raw.
sapearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2007 (Fri)   #15
jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageone View Post
$300 is ridiculously low. Why sell your services, your talent, so low? I guess you needed to get in the door. I started out at $2,000. Now charging in the $3000-4000 range depending on what they pic in terms of a package.
Since he's never shot a wedding, then $300 is fair. Many people might even suggest to shoot it for free.

Congrats, BTW! Good luck!
*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer
jessiper is offline   Reply With Quote