Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Jan 2007 (Saturday) 08:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: PS Tutorial - Resizing Images Using Save For Web

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 13, 2007 08:19 |  #16

spcalan wrote in post #3369705 (external link)
What I am wanting to do, on my web page.
Is have a smaller photo, and then being able to click the photo and another page open up with a full size photo on it.
I want to be able to put 8-10 "see-able" thumbnails on a page at once
What would that size be?

Well if you keep in mind that most users only have 1024 x 768 screens then you are limited to about 200 pixels or so to still have some space around the thumbnails. On my Pbase account (link in my sig) they use 160 as the max. On my 1024 x 768 screen at work that shows 3 rows of 3 thumbnails. I could extend that to 4 rows of 3 but I haven't just yet.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

sponsored links
Avi
Goldmember
3,073 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 19, 2007 00:32 |  #17

Thanks for the tip..

Avi

Canon XTi, Lens: canon 18-55 Kit Lens, Sigma 70-300
saving for: Canon 1Ds Mark III, Tokina 12-24, Canon 28-70
http://avingaur.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

I GAZE AT THE SUNSET WITH THE WOMAN I LOVE AND THINK F8 AT 1/250. :-P

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 11, 2007 08:07 |  #18

Think about it, open Photoshop, and it will come to you.
:rolleyes:

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

N/A
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 22, 2007 19:47 as a reply to  @ post 3710268 |  #19

Hi Scottes. I use PS Elements 2 and tried following your save-for-web resizing instructions but couldn't get it to work. A few of the menu headings are different in E 2 though. For instance, after moving the quality slider to get the photo below 100K, it offers "OK", Cancel, or Help, so I clicked "OK", assuming it was the same command as your "save", correct?

Then I renamed the file (which was now [SUPposedly] downsized to 97K and 800X600) and clicked "save", but when I then try to attach that pic. to a post I get the msg. "Your file of 552.2 KB exceeds the forum's limit of 100KB."

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? I'm not very techy, so please explain in layman's terms if possible. Thank you.
-Jim

- Jim

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 22, 2007 20:51 |  #20

I would have to assume that "OK" would be the same as the "Save" button. Does it appear to save the image at this point? After clicking "OK" do you still have a version of the image on your screen? If so, do you save that? (If so, use yet another new file name...)

As to the file being 552KB, something seems seriously wrong. But as a very wild guess, I'm thinking that you saved a 97KB version and then somehow saved a "regular" JPG version and over-wrote that 97KB version with the 552KB version. ???

Maybe someone with PS Elements 2 can help? Anyone?

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 01, 2007 13:36 |  #21

Peano wrote in post #3710268 (external link)
Is that your response to my post?

Yes, it is. And Scott is correct with his definition of a 100% crop. :)

...Leo

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 01, 2007 13:53 |  #22

N/A wrote in post #3777183 (external link)
Hi Scottes. I use PS Elements 2 and tried following your save-for-web resizing instructions but couldn't get it to work. A few of the menu headings are different in E 2 though. For instance, after moving the quality slider to get the photo below 100K, it offers "OK", Cancel, or Help, so I clicked "OK", assuming it was the same command as your "save", correct?

Then I renamed the file (which was now [SUPposedly] downsized to 97K and 800X600) and clicked "save", but when I then try to attach that pic. to a post I get the msg. "Your file of 552.2 KB exceeds the forum's limit of 100KB."

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? I'm not very techy, so please explain in layman's terms if possible. Thank you.
-Jim

Here's what the equivalent PSE 2 functions are:

Resize The Image
Use Image > Resize -> Image Size.

Sharpen The Image
The tools in both PS and PSE are very similar. Use whatever suits you.

Convert to sRGB
PSE 2 does not give you the ability to convert color spaces on the fly. You will need to be in the sRGB color space before you start editing. To do this, go into Color Settings and select Limited color management - optimized for Web graphics.

Preview the Color Changes
Not applicable

The Save For Web Dialog
PSE 2 uses OK instead of Save.
You automatically get "2-up" with PSE 2.

Compare The Changes

Save The New Image
Click on OK, instead of Save.

...Leo

BlueGTO
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 07, 2007 03:16 as a reply to  @ post 3369705 |  #23

very usefull info...thanks

My pbase Gallery (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,178 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 04, 2007 09:24 |  #24

Post a link to an image:

Try Photobucket, or another free site.
1/ Upload the pics.

2/ View the 'full size" pic. If there's a (+) in your mouse pointer, click the image again so it's at full size. (Max 1024 pixels on either side.)

3/ Rt-click on it & select "Copy Image Location. Come back to your thread, click on the yellow icon at the top of the "Post New Thread" box, just to the left of the Quote Box, & paste the link into the dialog box. You'll get something like this:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

If you're linking to more than one image, hit <Return> once to put some space between the images:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thats it. Except for Flickr.

Flickr users:

It seems that some people like to let the site do the sizing of their images, and violate the forum rules by choosing the wrong size to upload.
See post #3 here for some help:
http://photography-on-the.net …p?p=11611260#po​st11611260

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

moemoe6434
448 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 27, 2008 21:36 |  #25

In2Photos wrote in post #2703362 (external link)
DPI/PPI doesn't matter for web viewing, only for printing. Let's say for demonstration purposes that your image is 800x533 pixels. This image at 72 or 300 DPI/PPI will still be 800 pixels wide when viewing the image on your screen. But if printed, now the image will change. 800x533 @72 dpi will be 11.11 x 7.4 inches. That same image at 300 dpi would be only 2.67 x 1.78 inches.

So i have a newbie questoin about this.... If you are trying to protect your images, and the DPI resolution does not matter for web, why not set the DPI to like 400 or more? This way if they try to print the photos it will not work out for them...... do i have this wrong? What is the drawback?

http://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14246741#po​st14246741

tim
Light Bringer
50,908 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 27, 2008 22:47 |  #26

moemoe6434 wrote in post #5010212 (external link)
So i have a newbie questoin about this.... If you are trying to protect your images, and the DPI resolution does not matter for web, why not set the DPI to like 400 or more? This way if they try to print the photos it will not work out for them...... do i have this wrong? What is the drawback?

Have a read of the printing and enlargement FAQ in my sig. In short dpi is usually only important to commercial printers, ppi is what photographers care about. PPI is irrelevant for images on the web, set it to 1 or 1 million, it makes no difference. It's the number of pixels that matters.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

aero.nz
213 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 18, 2008 02:35 |  #27

Great tutorial! Doing this strips the picture of the exif data, how can I re-attach the data? Or not lose it in the first place? Thx in advance

6D| EF 17-40mm F4L USM | EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM | 430 ex | Manfrotto 190Pro+804 head
flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,178 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 18, 2008 07:10 |  #28

Or not lose it in the first place?

Use Save As.
Save For Web tries to make the file as small as possible.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

corporallouis
288 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 18, 2008 09:27 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #29

http://bluefive.pair.c​om/pixresizer.htm (external link) All that bother to resize for the web is a pain. For ease of use, all I use is this little freebie application. Works like a charm for what I'm sure most need for posting web images. Only thing is that my copy has damaged help files. Didn't re-download as it's so obvious in the workflow what to do. Might be of some help to someone.....

Canon XTi with grip, Canon 5D and BGE4 Grip, Canon 70 - 200 f4 L, Canon 100-400 L IS, Canon 24 - 105 f4 L IS, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro, Canon Flash 580 EX ll , Hasselblad 500 C/M, Tele-Rolleiflex TLR 135mm, Manfrotto 055XPROB / 488 RC2 head, Manfrotto 681B monopod

mismis
181 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 31, 2008 16:20 as a reply to  @ aero.nz's post |  #30

Could I just check, When Im editing my images, should I always make sure that proof color is on and set to monitor settings? I seem to be losing color whenever I upload my pictures

Xti + grip + RRS L-Bracket || RRS clamp + Markins M-20 + Gitzo 1345 || Kit Lens + 50mm f1.8 + 24-105L + 35L + 70-200L f2.8 IS

sponsored links

130,488 views & 0 likes for this thread
PS Tutorial - Resizing Images Using Save For Web
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.