Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Urban Life & Travel
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of January 2007 (Sat)   #1
mattp

Default Foxboro Fire Department - 3 alarms

Hi everyone. I thought I'd share some picture I took back in July of a 3 alarm fire in Foxboro, MA. It occurred in an abandoned state hospital which was being renovated into condos.

This first shot were the conditions upon my arrival.

A similar shot of this made the front page of the local paper

Hooking up to a hydrant

Coming down.

Getting ready to open up.

Matt

Last edited by mattp : 20th of January 2007 (Sat) at 15:38.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of January 2007 (Sat)   #2
FREEZE

Default Re: Foxboro Fire Department - 3 alarms

Nice shots were you allowed fairly close or did you use a long lense to get some of those?

Freeze
FREEZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of January 2007 (Sat)   #3
mattp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEZE View Post
Nice shots were you allowed fairly close or did you use a long lense to get some of those?
Thanks. I was allowed pretty close since I was shooting for a newspaper but shots like the last one I zoomed in a lot. And these were shot with a Cannon S2IS, right before I got my Rebel Xt.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of January 2007 (Sat)   #4
Mills
Goldmember

Great shots. Amazing how dirty some of the water is. Those hydrants must not flow often. Second shot is fantastic.

Box Alarm Images

http://www.myspace.com/millz11 Just to see some fun camera phone stuff.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of January 2007 (Sat)   #5
mattp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills View Post
Great shots. Amazing how dirty some of the water is. Those hydrants must not flow often. Second shot is fantastic.
Thanks. Yea Foxboro has about 20 fires per year and I can't remember the last time a fire was even close to this location.
Old 21st of January 2007 (Sun)   #6
Illegally_Alive

Wonderful shots! Oh what a shame though! Those are quite the buildings on the inside... so many things left behind.
Anyway- keep it up!
Old 21st of January 2007 (Sun)   #7
Canonista

Not much of a contest, was it? That fire looked like it pretty much did whatever it felt like doing. What lenses were you using?
Canonista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of January 2007 (Sun)   #8
mattp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonista View Post
Not much of a contest, was it? That fire looked like it pretty much did whatever it felt like doing. What lenses were you using?

I was using my Cannon S2IS. I had gotten my Rebel XT the day before but had no card for it.
Old 23rd of January 2007 (Tue)   #9
Richtherookie

Love picture #2, the colors are sharp enough you can tell they are useing "fresh" hydrant water. It is a shame that the building were a total loss though. The last picture would have been great if the K12 was running and pieces of the roof were flying around.

Trained to survive, willing not to.
www.haysphotography.net
Richtherookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of January 2007 (Tue)   #10
mattp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtherookie View Post
Love picture #2, the colors are sharp enough you can tell they are useing "fresh" hydrant water. It is a shame that the building were a total loss though. The last picture would have been great if the K12 was running and pieces of the roof were flying around.
Thanks. They tried and tried to get the K12 to work but it woukdn't start so they went to the trusty axe.
Old 23rd of January 2007 (Tue)   #11
Medic85
I just quoted Forrest Gump!

Nice shots. I hate to see old buildings go like that...or any other way for that matter.
Medic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of January 2007 (Tue)   #12
joegolf68
Goldmember

The fire fighter never tried to save the building though, all for show. The dirty water out of the hydrants is interesting, I'd assume it was for only a short time that it came out discolored, as there is usually quite a bit of sediment in the pipes. Throughout the neighborhood for probably several days everyone had dirty water coming out of their sinks and showers, yuk.

Nice shots. Also, was the fire an arson? Unless they were actively working on the building conversion, I'd assume arson as the most obvious cause.

Peace be upon you
joegolf68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of January 2007 (Tue)   #13
mattp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegolf68 View Post
The fire fighter never tried to save the building though
Sorry but I must disagree. The firefighters from Foxboro and the surrounding towns did a fantastic job of keeping the fire confined to the section it started in. Since the fire had a head start (delayed notice) they called for help early and kept it in place. Here's the back of the complex. It could have spread to all of this. So I believe they did a great job.

And I believe it was caused by a saw or torch that was left unattended by workers during a break.
Old 23rd of January 2007 (Tue)   #14
joegolf68
Goldmember

The first picture I saw was early on during the fire... right? They had the truck up in the air squirting water. Maybe after they got lots of folks there, they turned it off and then went inside, then I am wrong. BUT, when the operation is a truck squirting water from above onto the fire below, it is in order to prevent the fire from spreading from building to building, it is NOT designed as a strategy to save the building which is on fire. I could go on, but that is the sum of it.

I was commenting on the strategy they took, which was correct since the building was coming down anyway. It was not an attack on the fire fighter's abilities or on their strategy. If one wants to save a building from a fire, the fire fighters must take an aggressive approach and fight the fire from within the building to extinguish the fire and also so as to prevent water from destroying what is not ruined by the fire already. It is Fire Fighting 101. I base my opinion as a 30+ year veteran of a municipal fire department and over thirteen years as a fire chief officer.

Your comments lead me to believe that after the other local fire departments showed up, they took an aggressive approach, probably turned off the truck from above the fire and went inside to mop it up. That defensive/offensive approach would work well for a department not having the resources to fight such a fire with ample resources early on during the emergency.

Editd to add: So it was the construction workers who caused the fire? Not unusual at all. Fire like that can get a huge jump on everyone as they might not be detected for quite a while if the building is abandoned. So, I guess the building wasn't coming down, but was being remodeled for the new occupancy? Arson/fire/investigation is an art, time consuming as hell, and boring as heck unless one really enjoys that kind of challenge. I did it for a while and found it on the boring side. Several of my fire fighters enjoyed it and worked for national arson investigation teams for extra income, a couple even quitting the fire service to perform this lucrative job full time. I just didn't enjoy sniffing around in some burnt ruins for three days trying to put the puzzle together. I'm glad in this fire they fond the cause rather early, but sometimes even the obvious is not what it seems when it comes to fires, abandoned buildings, insurance money, etc.

Your second picture... is it the same building? The fire building looks two story and the last image looks like three stories. Hard to tell what was saved and what was lost to the fire by seeing only that.

Thanks.

Peace be upon you

Last edited by joegolf68 : 23rd of January 2007 (Tue) at 22:34.
joegolf68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of January 2007 (Tue)   #15
mattp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegolf68 View Post
The first picture I saw was early on during the fire... right? They had the truck up in the air squirting water. Maybe after they got lots of folks there, they turned it off and then went inside, then I am wrong. BUT, when the operation is a truck squirting water from above onto the fire below, it is in order to prevent the fire from spreading from building to building, it is NOT designed as a strategy to save the building which is on fire. I could go on, but that is the sum of it.

Your comments lead me to believe that after the other local fire departments showed up, they took an aggressive approach, probably turned off the truck from above the fire and went inside to mop it up. That defensive/offensive approach would work well for a department not having the resources to fight such a fire with ample resources early on during the emergency.

Editd to add: So it was the construction workers who caused the fire? Not unusual at all. Fire like that can get a huge jump on everyone as they might not be detected for quite a while if the building is abandoned. So, I guess the building wasn't coming down, but was being remodeled for the new occupancy?

Your second picture... is it the same building? The fire building looks two story and the last image looks like three stories. Hard to tell what was saved and what was lost to the fire by seeing only that.

Thanks.
Sorry for misunderstanding your previous post. Yes 2 ladder pipes were used along with a big line and a portable monitor. After the bulk of the fire was knocked down companies went in to mop up.

And you mentioned staffing. Foxboro had it's 6 on-duty members respond with an engine and the rescue (ambulance). When the box was struck for the working fire all off duty personnel were called back, which usually results in nothing but they managed to get the ladder out pretty quick. The mutual aid arrived soon after shot #2 and the 2nd ladder was placed in service.

Yes you are correct the building was not coming down it was just being gutted and redone into condos.

And I believe that there was a slight hill going down to the back so that maybe the basement which makes it appear to have 3 floors.

Matt