FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 24 Jan 2007 (Wednesday) 18:46   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

kiwinvan
Joined May 2006
203 posts
Vancouver, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

So, I'm thinking of adding a blog to my site. I see it as an opportunity to reveal more of my personality and my absolute love for photography which otherwise does not come across. I love my job!!!! I also want to post photos other than wedding shots - perhaps a few of my baby and maternity shots, or a little bit o' travel stuff. And it can't hurt having all those words for google to find now can it?;)

How many people here have blogs attached to their sites? How do you go about making a blog? Is it hosted by your website provider or a third party?

Any blog-advice?

Thanks,

Post #1, Jan 24, 2007 18:46:28

leanne
Vancouver Wedding Photographer
websiteexternal link
blog

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
Joined Jan 2006
8,504 posts
Alberta, CANADA
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a blog. It helps sell yourself. It's also easier to keep fresh content on your site. I use Blogger. If you are on PC, then it's DEAD easy to blog using Picasa 2. Just browse your files, select the pictures you want to blog, and click the blog button! It resizes the photos, uploads them, and embeds them in your post automatically. You can put up a 4 photo post literally in 15 seconds!

Post #2, Jan 24, 2007 18:49:31

-Lloyd
BOUDOIR WEBSITE: The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Lifestyle Website: Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Gear

kiwinvan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
203 posts
Vancouver, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

picturecrazy wrote in post #2594643external link
I have a blog. It helps sell yourself. It's also easier to keep fresh content on your site. I use Blogger. If you are on PC, then it's DEAD easy to blog using Picasa 2. Just browse your files, select the pictures you want to blog, and click the blog button! It resizes the photos, uploads them, and embeds them in your post automatically. You can put up a 4 photo post literally in 15 seconds!

Thanks, forgot to mention, I am on a mac.

Post #3, Jan 24, 2007 18:56:45

leanne
Vancouver Wedding Photographer
websiteexternal link
blog

mizuno
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
1,680 posts
Hobart, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Starting my blog was probably the best thing I have done to date in my business.

For example, I started my blog in December, this is what it has done to my site stats:

IMAGE: http://www.zeke.com.au/stuff/blogstats.gif

Post #4, Jan 24, 2007 18:58:15 as a reply to picturecrazy's post 8 minutes earlier.

DAN CRIPPS PHOTOGRAPHYexternal link | BLOGexternal link | PITBULL MANSIONexternal link
30D x 2 | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8 IS L | 580EX x 2 |

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
6,793 posts
Mercer Island, WA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

blogspot.com is the popular choice. xanga is a distand 2nd these days. some host their own, but its a lot more work IMO.

check out DJ's for an example of a blogspot one (www.opensourcephoto.bl​ogspot.comexternal link)

Post #5, Jan 24, 2007 18:58:43

Photographic Resourcesexternal link || International Photo Journalistexternal link

Blogexternal link

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographerexternal link

sponsored links
spphoto
Joined Jan 2007
387 posts
Vancouver Island, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

I do have a blog for now, but Im finding it hard to come up with content which suits a proffessional blog. I'm taking it down in my next site update and replacing it with a "Recent Photos" named blog. That way I"ll feel less tempted to go into too much personal information (no one wants to hear about my everyday squeaks with my boyfriend) and I'll hopefully still have the interest of my recent shoots and what went well or didn't and taht kind of stuff.

Post #6, Jan 24, 2007 20:29:03

~ Stefanie Pletscher
www.spphoto.caexternal link

rhys
Dis-Membered
Joined May 2006
5,351 posts
Columbia SC
[MORE/SHARE]

I keep my blog semi anonymous as I like to rant on it :p

Post #7, Jan 24, 2007 20:54:31

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.ukexternal link
www.sageworld.orgexternal link
www.sagephotoworld.comexternal link
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavensexternal link

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

Maui ­ Kim
Joined Jul 2006
717 posts
Maui, HI
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a blog..I post lots of portraits on it and pics of my kids..When I get busier with weddings I plan on posting a few up for brides right away after the wedding so that they can have a preview...

Post #8, Jan 24, 2007 20:58:45

Kim A.

www.aiharavisuals.comexternal link
http://www.aiharavisua​ls.comexternal link

islandphoto
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,358 posts
Maui
[MORE/SHARE]

I use a blog. I love it and so do the clients. They get so excited that they can email the link to their friends and family!

Post #9, Jan 24, 2007 21:03:42

- Joanna
5D, 20D, canon 18-55, canon 70-200L f4, canon 24-70L, canon 50 1.4, 2 x Canon 580EX, 7GB of memory, omnibounce diffuser, photoshop 8
http://www.joannatano.​comexternal link

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
Joined Jan 2006
8,504 posts
Alberta, CANADA
[MORE/SHARE]

spphoto wrote in post #2595175external link
I do have a blog for now, but Im finding it hard to come up with content which suits a proffessional blog. I'm taking it down in my next site update and replacing it with a "Recent Photos" named blog. That way I"ll feel less tempted to go into too much personal information (no one wants to hear about my everyday squeaks with my boyfriend) and I'll hopefully still have the interest of my recent shoots and what went well or didn't and taht kind of stuff.

You're wrong... people ARE interested in our daily mundane lives and your squeaks with your boyfriend. They feel like they know you and if they can relate to you, then it's a quick sale. If they can't relate to you or don't like you, then that's good too... you won't waste your time with someone you're not compatible with.

I like putting pointless, stupid things on my blog, like how cool I thought our Christmas tree looked.

Post #10, Jan 25, 2007 01:01:15

-Lloyd
BOUDOIR WEBSITE: The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Lifestyle Website: Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Gear

motogeno
Joined Oct 2006
317 posts
Baton Rouge, LA
[MORE/SHARE]

This is all good to know. I just put together a site on bigfolio that came with a blog but I've been going back and forth on whether or not its just going to be more work for me. And I really have no interest in sharing my personal life with a bunch of clients or boring them with my rants. I have a my space and never use it lol

Post #11, Jan 25, 2007 02:15:12 as a reply to picturecrazy's post 1 hour earlier.

www.chrisgenovese.comexternal link
4 30D's with battery grip, 1 Rebel XT with battery grip, 2 580ex's with Battery Packs, ST-E2 ETTL Transmitter, 85mm 1.2L, 50mm 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 70-200mm 2.8L, 16mm 2.8 Fisheye, 17 - 40 4.0L

sponsored links
Turbowolf
Joined Dec 2004
540 posts
Olympia, WA (TESC)
[MORE/SHARE]

I just started to do a blog. It started as ramblings and some of my favorite recipes - even included some of my poetry. But now, I'm keeping it wildlife related ... maybe some day I'll branch out from the nature images, but I doubt it.

http://blog.myspace.co​m/144741055external link

Post #12, Jan 25, 2007 02:21:57

Dave
My Wildlife Photographyexternal link / My Gear List
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Poking roadkill with a stick is not research ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Turbowolf
Joined Dec 2004
540 posts
Olympia, WA (TESC)
[MORE/SHARE]

kiwinvan wrote in post #2594684external link

Mac user here, Myspace is Mac friendly if you want to use it. It was easy to add a link to my main website for visitors there to find my blog. Then again, I end every blog with a link to my main website...

If you want to customize a Myspace page, many of the HTML tips can be found in their online forum, Click Forum in the top menu listings, then drop down to Myspace, and finally open customizing.

Post #13, Jan 25, 2007 02:27:43

Dave
My Wildlife Photographyexternal link / My Gear List
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Poking roadkill with a stick is not research ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mizuno
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
1,680 posts
Hobart, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I use wordpress, but blogger is as easy as anything, regardless of your operating system.

I wouldn't use myspace, it's a horribly coded site.

Post #14, Jan 25, 2007 02:55:50 as a reply to Turbowolf's post 28 minutes earlier.

DAN CRIPPS PHOTOGRAPHYexternal link | BLOGexternal link | PITBULL MANSIONexternal link
30D x 2 | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8 IS L | 580EX x 2 |

islandphoto
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,358 posts
Maui
[MORE/SHARE]

I use iweb for blogging... I love the mac software :) Check out my blog.

Post #15, Jan 25, 2007 02:59:41

- Joanna
5D, 20D, canon 18-55, canon 70-200L f4, canon 24-70L, canon 50 1.4, 2 x Canon 580EX, 7GB of memory, omnibounce diffuser, photoshop 8
http://www.joannatano.​comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many of you blog?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES