Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of April 2002 (Mon)   #1
kirktalon

Default Remote Capture = webcam?

I'm sure not the first one to think about this and does or could Remote Capture work as a webcam for S30 or S40, other canon cameras?
kirktalon is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of April 2002 (Tue)   #2
Rustle

Default video output = webcam

Our cameras won't function as webcams out of the box. The problem is the driver. A basic webcam is a TWAIN source that sends imaging data via its driver. You can then use a program such as Microsoft Netmeeting to pick up the TWAIN data.

From what I've seen, Canon's drivers will only function that way for Remote Capture, which has absolutely no online chat functionality. And there's no way that I can see to push the data to Netmeeting. If you want that to happen, we'll all have to petition Canon to build an all-purpose video-output driver. It's not impossible, because other camera companies do it.

There is, however, an alternative. If your computer has video inputs (usually through the video card or a tv tuner module), you can connect the video out port on a digital camera or video camera to them. Then, you should be able to fire up Netmeeting and tell it to use the video inputs as the video source (which is the video coming from the camera).

I haven't tried this process with my S30, but my dad uses his Kodak digital camera and ATI video card as a Webcam. This sounds like a lot to go though, but would you rather buy a cheap webcam or a USB tv tuner? I'd rather have the latter, simply because it has more functionality (I love having a tv on my computer).

If anyone's thinking about pursuing this, I can test out the process with my S30. I don't really need to, since I have a webcam, so I'd like to know that a few people will benefit before I spend the time.

Russ
Rustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2002 (Tue)   #3
kirktalon

Default Re: Remote Capture = webcam?

Thanks for the reply Russ. I hope you do and can find a way of using the S30 as a webcam although I have to say I don't really use chatrooms so would I really need it? Are there other applications besides chat rooms? Can it be used in instant messaging? Also keep in mind that I am a Apple computer user and what you do will have to have some universality to it.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of April 2002 (Wed)   #4
Rustle

Chat applications aren't quite the same as chat rooms. Netmeeting is an online collaboration tool (free from MS) that enables people to share video, documents, and even desktops over the Internet. That's pretty much all that I use my Webcam for (and sporadically at best). I guess video conferencing is a better description than chat application.

The only uses I can think of for Webcams are video conferencing and posting images to a Website (like a security camera). You could probably find other people on the Web doing funky things with their Webcams.

I'm pretty sure that Netmeeting exists for Mac, but I've never used it and don't have access to a Mac right now. So, anything I did on my PC wouldn't clearly apply to you. I have done video editing on a high-end Mac workstation, so I know the parts exist to capture video. Problem is, I don't know how you'd go about connecting everything together. Bottom line: if you really need a Webcam, you might just want to buy one.

Russ
Old 19th of April 2002 (Fri)   #5
kirktalon

Well, you seem like a well informed person. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and good luck in what I will assume is your new young career.

I don't think I really need a webcam right now. It was/is fun to think of it as a bonus with the S30.
Old 19th of April 2002 (Fri)   #6
Rustle

Thanks for the compliment. I'm 25 (having spent seven years in school), so I don't feel young. But it's all relative, right?

Russ
Old 21st of April 2002 (Sun)   #7
Tom Brown

I can remember when 25 seemed old. No, wait... that was when 35 seemed old. No...

I think I'm with Rustle on this one. If you need a web cam, you need a web cam. Pekka has some software for doing remote capture with a D30 that I'm pretty sure works with my S110 and probably works with your S30 too. You may be able to use that to capture frames for displaying on the web.
Tom Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2002 (Sun)   #8
kirktalon

So Pekka is the person who oversees this message board or whatever it is we are using?
Old 16th of June 2002 (Sun)   #9
dreamstudios

Has there been any development on this matter?

It would be quite cool to use the S30 as a webcam.. Sounds like all we need is for someone to hack together a TWAIN driver.

Chris.
dreamstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2002 (Mon)   #10
Rustle

No development. I didn't think there was much interest in the video-capture solution. That, and I found my Webcam.

Russ
Old 19th of June 2002 (Wed)   #11
saphir

I hope there will be developpement in near futur of a "video capture driver".

I think that the breeze developper can do this ... but i don't know if he want to.

perhaps if we are a lot ...
saphir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of August 2003 (Mon)   #12
catod6

Default Re: video output = webcam

Quote:
Rustle wrote:

There is, however, an alternative. If your computer has video inputs (usually through the video card or a tv tuner module), you can connect the video out port on a digital camera or video camera to them. Then, you should be able to fire up Netmeeting and tell it to use the video inputs as the video source (which is the video coming from the camera)...
Russ
I tried connecting my S30 camera video out to my TV card, and it works well !!
I now can use my S30 for MS-Messenger video calls.
The connection is very simple: just connect your S30 video out to the video in of your tv card.
The only limitation I noticed is that once in several minutes the camera is auto turning off, since I don't use it for shooting. I someone has a solution for that, I will be glad to hear...

Ori.
catod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2003 (Tue)   #13
carl.h

Hi
Please see my other post in this forum "Reply from Canon". I sent an email to canon and asked them just this question that you have here.
carl.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2003 (Tue)   #14
stopbath

You should be able to turn off the power saving feature in one of the menus.

Check your camera's menus, or your manual.
stopbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of September 2003 (Wed)   #15
lcfred

Hi there.. .I was looking for something about it and I found a prog: Cam4you http://www.jpegclub.org/cam4you/)

I didn't test yet but It seems top work... at least is a freeware and there are some good functions on it (including a webcam mode... that I'm goig to test!
)

Let's see!!
lcfred is offline   Reply With Quote