Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News > Rumors > Other Rumors and Predictions
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of February 2007 (Sat)   #16
Rokkorfan

Default Re: 580EX replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdesperado View Post
Im curious Rokkor... why do you think Canon would replace the ST-E2 if they were not going to release a new flash as well?
The ST-E2 does not have the same functionality as using another 580EX as master. For starters there are only 2 groups enabled, and then there is the lack of manual control of the slave units from the controller. This is a serious drawback to the use of the ST-E2.
Rokkorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2007 (Tue)   #17
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTsu View Post
I did a search and found that the 550EX was released in 1997 and the 580EX in 2004. That gave the 550EX a good 7 year run. So do you think there is any chance that the 580EX is going to be replaced any time soon?
Your logic escapes me

Is the 2 year run the same as the 7 year due to the fact that our attention span has more than halved in those few years?
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of February 2007 (Tue)   #18
lostdoggy
King Duffus

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrukh View Post
Obviously most of them use orignal party products. But this Metz 58-AF1 annoucned on photokina last year and it got some interesting featues that a Canon flagship flash suppose to have.

Metz 58-AF1 got all the features of 580ex and some major additional feautes such as...

1-firmware through USB upgrade
2- Auto mode (flash exposure controled by flash sensor)
3- Secondary reflector.
Item #2 is a step backward not forward. Before there was TTL flash most thyristor flashes had some form flash sensor on board but was not very accurate. But with onset of newer TTL technology such as ETTL-2 on complimented lenses its capable of reading more info which translate to better control.
lostdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of February 2007 (Wed)   #19
René Damkot
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdoggy View Post
which translate to better control.
Are you sure you are talking about Canons ETTL?

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of February 2007 (Wed)   #20
calicokat
calicokat is BANNED

Let em replace it, I am after a QFLASH

My Website

My Gear

Calicokat 1990-2007 RIP My Loving Kitty
calicokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2007 (Thu)   #21
cdesperado

Speedlite 580EX II is OFFICIAL!!!

Read this
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...14999&pageno=3
cdesperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2007 (Thu)   #22
cdesperado

For your reading pleasure... WFT-E1A and 580 are updated officially!
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-8736-8850

Speedlite 580EX II Flash
The popular Speedlite 580EX Flash is being replaced by the new Speedlite 580EX II Flash, which features a host of improvements, including a metal hot shoe with an improved locking mechanism for added durability, an external metering sensor for non-TTL automatic flash exposure control and a PC socket for use with non-dedicated slave triggers. Fully compatible with all EOS SLRs, the new Speedlite 580EX II is gasketed for dust and moisture resistance, making it possible for users of EOS-1 class digital SLRs and many L-series EF lenses to use flash safely when shooting in dusty or wet environments.

Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2A
The new accessory dedicated Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2A allows wireless transfer and backup, as well as remote control of the camera in Live View mode. The new transmitter is much smaller and lighter than its predecessor and more affordable as well. The WFT-E2A has many useful capabilities besides wireless transmission of digital photos. In addition to supporting the EOS-1D Mark III Digital SLR’s Remote Live View functions, it can also be connected to various Hi-Speed USB 2.0 external storage devices such as high-capacity hard drives or convenient flash drives with much larger storage capacity than the memory cards in the camera, for instant backup as images are captured. Whats more, the WFT-E2A can be connected to portable GPS devices to record GPS information (longitude, latitude, altitude, UTC) which is added to file metadata and displayed on the camera’s LCD screen below the histogram.
cdesperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2007 (Thu)   #23
AdamJL
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Winds View Post
I'm sure they'll replace it very soon...because I bought one this week.

Isn't that they way it always goes?...just about the time you're ready to shell out big bucks for product X, a replacement comes out shortly thereafter.
Lol, how prophetic!
Old 22nd of February 2007 (Thu)   #24
SunTsu

Oh for Pete's sake. Why? Why? Does anyone know when the 580EX II might actually hit store shelves?
Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List
SunTsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2007 (Thu)   #25
SunTsu

The Canon site says the 580EX II is available April 2007, but I wonder if that means you can actually buy one then.

Also, I wonder if anyone has an idea what the street price for the 580EX II will be (i.e. the price that B&H will end up selling it for)?
Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

Last edited by SunTsu : 22nd of February 2007 (Thu) at 15:51.
SunTsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2007 (Thu)   #26
ryleung

Of course, Canon releases an updated 580EX to go along with the 1D MkIII:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14998
ryleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2007 (Thu)   #27
JaertX
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyneSystems View Post
Your logic escapes me

Is the 2 year run the same as the 7 year due to the fact that our attention span has more than halved in those few years?

I almost agreed with this post yesterday!

okay, I still do...but it looks like a nice little upgrade they did with the 580.
Old 1st of March 2007 (Thu)   #28
snoopstah

Any word on a price for this? My company are paying me my Christmas bonus in a couple of weeks (yes, I know, I should buy them a calendar...) and I've been promising myself a 580EX - now I need to decide whether to get a 580EX II or wait for the corresponding drop in prices for the old model.

Also, does anyone know (or have any opinions) on whether the metering sensor will work when the flash is off-camera (i.e. triggered by a pocketwizard or similar), or will you still only have the choice of manual control only?
snoopstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of March 2007 (Thu)   #29
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdoggy View Post
Item #2 is a step backward not forward. Before there was TTL flash most thyristor flashes had some form flash sensor on board but was not very accurate. But with onset of newer TTL technology such as ETTL-2 on complimented lenses its capable of reading more info which translate to better control.
I find my Sunpak 383 Thyristor Sensor to be more accurate than my 580EXs' Thyroid Glands. Control-wise it isn't much of a loss/gain. ISO up or down for the corresponding FEC you'd make on a Speedlite if you want to maintain the same working aperture. Not that you have identical freedoms but everything's a compromise if you're not Dante.
Old 5th of March 2007 (Mon)   #30
Rokkorfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkorfan View Post
To the OP, there is no likelihood of the 580EX being replaced in the short term. The only flash accessory that may be replaced this year is the ST-E2.
Well go figure - I'm no Nostradamus. Thank goodness I don't dabble in the stock exchange.
Rokkorfan is offline   Reply With Quote