FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Jan 2007 (Saturday) 21:33   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Andy ­ T
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2007
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Everything on my G3 seems to be working except the phtoto sensor. But I don't understand why or what to do about it.

I hadn't used my G3 in 36 months or so, but had kept it plugged into the ac adapter. I tried to use it recently and the camera didn't come all the way on. The battery meter said the battery wasn't fully charged. As the battery was original, I figured it had taken a set and needed to be replaced. So I bought a new battery, charged it up for 24 hrs, and started the camera. It came on and the battery meter said it was fully charged. But there's no image on the LCD when in the shooting mode.

I can scroll through all the lists and functions and menus just fine on the LCD screen. The flash goes off when I press the shutter all the way down. I can see pictures from the memory card fine in the review mode. The camera takes a picture (there's a file on the memory card after pressing the shutter) but its pitch black.

I've updated the firmware to no effect.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what happened to my camera? And if there's anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

Post #1, Jan 27, 2007 21:33:49

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Pamela107
Joined Nov 2003
320 posts
S.East , Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Andy

Try this thread
www.photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=47102&highlig​ht=g3+lcd+broken
There are 2 spindles of wires, one or both could be loose or off.
Ive had this happen 3 times to my LCD screen

Post #2, Jan 27, 2007 22:25:13

Canon Rebel XT
Canon 50 1.4
Canon 70-200 4L
Mamiya 645 Pro
www.exposedimages.netexternal link

Andy ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2007
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Pamela,

Thanks for the reply and digging up the links.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think I have the same problem. My LCD seems to work fine when given something to show. When I turn the camera on the blue screen with the Canon logo comes right up. When I switch to the review mode, old files on my memory card come up just fine. When I'm in the shooting mode, I can bring up the various menus and settings on the LCD OK. There's just no "picture" there-just black. As if the lense cap was still on (its not though. I'm sure.). When I "take" a picture the flash goes off, I hear a mechanical noise as if the shutter moved and the file counter goes up. The file is just a sea of black though.

Without understanding what actually goes on inside the camera, I'd describe the problem as seeming as though light isn't getting through the lens to the photo sensor.

Post #3, Jan 27, 2007 23:22:42 as a reply to Pamela107's post 57 minutes earlier.

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
1,225 posts
scandinavia
[MORE/SHARE]

it sounds an obvious answer, but have you tried press the 'display' button once whilst in shooting mode? On the G3, you can cycle between showing a preview and not showing a preview by pressing the 'display' button.

NB: This feature is good if you want to save battery by turning the LCD off during shooting mode.

Post #4, Jan 28, 2007 05:21:45

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.comexternal link
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5external link

praetorion
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2007
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Andy T, my G3 is having the same problem too. It was fine all this while and suddenly everything become black. It seems that my lense is broken inside as it is not getting any light pass through and I can take picture and even view images on the memory card, but all picture taken is black. I wonder if it is just some part got loose inside the camera or require to replace the whole lense.

my G3 is 3 yrs old and I wouldnt want to spend a fortune just to replace the lense.

has anyone else experience this before?

Post #5, Jan 28, 2007 08:53:48 as a reply to andrewaaa5's post 3 hours earlier.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Andy ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2007
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

That's not it. When in a shooting mode, I can have things like the focus zone be on the LCD. Pressing the display buttom wipes them off. Pressing display again brings them back.

Thanks for the thought.

Post #6, Jan 28, 2007 09:55:45 as a reply to andrewaaa5's post 4 hours earlier.

peatyard2
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2005
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

My G3 is also about 3 yrs+ old. Lcd shows fine, AE focus fine can capture picture,
however it is overexposed to white. Tried various settings, same results.
Does CCd eventually go bad? This Canon has been crap since new.

Post #7, Mar 23, 2007 22:15:07 as a reply to Andy T's post 1 month earlier.

Granite1
Joined Mar 2007
27 posts
Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

I've had my G3 since 2003 and its still ticking over nicely. Not used much now though since I upgraded to an XT. Can't help with OP's problem, sorry!

Post #8, Mar 28, 2007 21:06:19

mattjs
Joined Jun 2003
114 posts
Boston, MA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I would try the wires even if you think that might not be it. A number of people (including me) had simillar problems with the G3 LCDs and that was the fix. If nothing else, you're not gonna hurt the camera for having tried that, and the only other option is to send it in to Canon for repair, which is going cost $200 bucks or so. You've got nothing to lose by opening it up, and it's easy to do.

Post #9, Mar 29, 2007 09:33:49 as a reply to Granite1's post 12 hours earlier.

- Matt
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dmspicsexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,402 views & 0 likes for this thread
G3 Troubleshoting
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES